Round 1 team

B: Morris, Naughton, Wood
HB: Crozier, Cordy, Suckling
C: Hunter, Macrae, McLean
HF: Richards, Schache, Dunkley
F: Gowers, Trengove, Dickson
R: English, Bontempelli, Liberatore
I: Smith, Williams, Daniel, Cavarra

Richards is a goal kicker, we need more of that type. Suckling could swap positions, but feel they would both be suited to their named positions.

Williams plays, was starting to show what he is capable of before the injury. Boyd plays if fit, but the next cab off the rank is English.

Bailey Smith plays round 1, simple. He’s going to be just as good as Bont and Macrae in time. We’re a developing team, this is the time to play him.

Fully fit.

HB: Johannisen, Cordy, Suckling
HF: Richards, Schache, Picken
F: Gowers, Boyd, Dickson
R: Trengove, Bontempelli, Liberatore
I: Crozier, Williams, Dunkley, Smith

Round 1 team

Richards is a goal kicker, we need more of that type. Suckling could swap positions, but feel they would both be suited to their named positions.

Williams plays, was starting to show what he is capable of before the injury. Boyd plays if fit, but the next cab off the rank is English.

Bailey Smith plays round 1, simple. He’s going to be just as good as Bont and Macrae in time. We’re a developing team, this is the time to play him.

Like your best side - though I have Daniel and English as certain best 22 ahead of Crozier and Smith. With Boyd and Picken out, you have promoted Cavarra and Daniel. Looks good to me and quite likely, with Lloyd, Lynch, Lipinski, Greene and Dale all nipping at Cavarra's heels for that final spot.

Like your best side - though I have Daniel and English as certain best 22 ahead of Crozier and Smith. With Boyd and Picken out, you have promoted Cavarra and Daniel. Looks good to me and quite likely, with Lloyd, Lynch, Lipinski, Greene and Dale all nipping at Cavarra's heels for that final spot.

I like the competition for the forward spots this year, it’s a lot healthier than last season. The real weakness in the side last year was a lack of that, but I feel if we can get the right mix and groove we’ll be back in the finals or at the very least competing for a spot in the last couple of rounds.

Daniel is an interesting one. When he is on, he is best 22 no question. In a good system he excels (2016) but is found wanting a bit when the team struggles.

In saying that he found a spot in the back half last year, played confident and consistent football and was a reason for the teams uplift in form. I just find it hard to find a spot for him when the team is fully fit.

We have about 32 players that can play in the 22 when fit, which is an improvement from last year (injuries taken into account) We’re in for a stronger year.

Feel there is too much hype surrounding Cavarra. He kicked a bit over 30 goals in the VFL. Doesn’t translate to a certain transition to AFL goalsneak of Dickson standard. I’m not doubting he can contribute but just sensing too much certainty over his success as opposed to Dale, Lipinski, Greene, Wallis, Lloyd, etc. What he is that is different is that true small a la Kolyniuk that we have lacked for a long time - we’ve been a 182-185 cm “Smith/Johnno/Brown/Hudson/Dickson” team since forever - but I still want to see a 30 goal VFL player in action in the AFL before I get too excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the competition for the forward spots this year, it’s a lot healthier than last season. The real weakness in the side last year was a lack of that, but I feel if we can get the right mix and groove we’ll be back in the finals or at the very least competing for a spot in the last couple of rounds.

Daniel is an interesting one. When he is on, he is best 22 no question. In a good system he excels (2016) but is found wanting a bit when the team struggles.

In saying that he found a spot in the back half last year, played confident and consistent football and was a reason for the teams uplift in form. I just find it hard to find a spot for him when the team is fully fit.

We have about 32 players that can play in the 22 when fit, which is an improvement from last year (injuries taken into account) We’re in for a stronger year.

Spoke with Chris Grant and he was very buoyant about our possibilities this year. He said to me emphatically "if we get our best players on the field (we will be a serious threat)". Not sure if that means he feels that our depth or evenness is not so strong, or that the competition is that tight that we need to have everything go our way. It struck me as an interesting statement, given the philosophy and comments in previous years is that we need 45 contributors and when one goes down, we have faith in another soldier getting the job done.

Feel there is too much hype surrounding Cavarra. He kicked a bit over 30 goals in the VFL. Doesn’t translate to a certain transition to AFL goalsneak of Dickson standard. I’m not doubting he can contribute but just sensing too much certainty over his success as opposed to Dale, Lipinski, Greene, Wallis, Lloyd, etc. What he is that is different is that true small a la Kolyniuk that we have lacked for a long time - we’ve been a 182-185 cm “Smith/Johnno/Brown/Hudson/Dickson” team since forever - but I still want to see a 30 goal VFL player in action in the AFL before I get too excited.

Cavarra was an U/18 champ. Due to height, he was overlooked. Won the VFL B&F as a mid and then has since transformed into a goal kicker. Caleb Daniel was almost overlooked due to height and then we took a 'brave gamble'. Look how that turned out. I'm backing Cavarra in, along with Dickson and Picko to all contribute at different stages.

Cavarra was an U/18 champ. Due to height, he was overlooked. Won the VFL B&F as a mid and then has since transformed into a goal kicker. Caleb Daniel was almost overlooked due to height and then we took a 'brave gamble'. Look how that turned out. I'm backing Cavarra in, along with Dickson and Picko to all contribute at different stages.

All fair points. I was purely referring to his forward pocket role as a goal kicker. 30 odd goals in a lower level comp doesn’t automatically transfer into similar in AFL. If as you describe he contributes along with others ( worried about Picko, still hopeful on Tory) as one of 6 forwards all getting 25-30, I’ll be rapt. But if we expect him to be a Breust/Milne/LeCras, that’s a big ask. My point was we are as likely to get 25-30 out of a fit 22 game Bailey Dale as we are from Cavarra, but Bailey seems to be getting less love when he at least has some exposed albeit inconsistent successful form as an AFL player. Hope Ben becomes a raging success as many VFL players have, especially in our team ( Moz, MBoyd, Picko premiership legends!)

Agree that 30 in VFL doesn’t mean 30 in AFL. There are a number of players that can achieve that at VFL and are a long way off AFL standard - the step is is huge but some take it and are even better. Hope he is one.

But also don’t think he is expected to kick 50 (as Dickson has) but to raise the energy, crumbing and tackling. He is very good at each of these and if he can bring these he will find a spot.

Adjustment to take account if injuries to LJ, Picken, Boyd and JJ

Dickson Trengrove Gowers
Wallis Schache Green

English Bont Libba
Richards Macrae Hunter

Wood Cordy Suckling
Crozier Naughton Morris

Int: McLean, Dunkley, Williams, Daniel

Excluding Boyd and Picken
B: Crozier Morris Wood
HB: Cordy Naughton Johannisen
C: Hunter Macrae Williams
HF: Wallis Schache Suckling
F: Cavarra Gowers Dickson
R: Trengove Bontempelli Liberatore
INT: Dunkley, McLean, B. Smith, Richards

Extremely unlucky: Lynch, however if JJ doesn’t play I’d hope he comes in. Duryea probably plays although that’s not a call I’d make myself. Just think he’ll be picked over Lynch, Williams or B. Smith.

I’ll be pretty excited to see Lynch, JJ and B. Smith in the same team at some point.

Easton mentioned 'pace' as being a weapon this year and the focus on run and carry. This especially makes the following players key to our game style: Suckling, Johannisen, Williams, Richards, Llyod, Lynch, Bailey Smith, Dale and Jong when he returns.

Fully fit

HB: Johannisen, Cordy, Suckling
HF: Richards, Schache, Picken
F: Gowers, Boyd, Dickson
R: Trengove, Bontempelli, Liberatore
I: Crozier, Williams, Dunkley, Smith

Round 1 team

Smith has had a limited pre-season. He'd have to be an absolute star to force his way into the round one side. In short I don't think it will happen.

Can’t compare Cavarra with Daniel. If Daniel was taller he’d have gone top 3 in the draft. Height was his only serious knock, whereas Cav had a number of things as well as lack of height holding him back.

I’ve watched him play a number of times over the last few years and imo he needs to become a better player than what he’s been to make a real impact at AFL level.
Could definitely be a role for him in our 22 but needs to keep improving on his VFL form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Dale is ahead of Greene and Cavarra by a street. I got respect for Lipinski and Lynch and can see the competition with Bailey Dale for a forward /interchange spot from them. I understand the Lloyd recruitment and he should be serious competition for Bailey Dale. But Greene and Cavarra? Not meaning to knock them, but they have to be further down the pecking order than Dale.

The cream always rises to the top and yet again it will be Baileys in my opinion, you mark my words.

But, there's other spots going around for those other players. Yer could get a winning forward line with three of those names and Dale easily this year. Let's see.

Bailey Dale is ahead of Greene and Cavarra by a street. I got respect for Lipinski and Lynch and can see the competition with Bailey Dale for a forward /interchange spot from them. I understand the Lloyd recruitment and he should be serious competition for Bailey Dale. But Greene and Cavarra? Not meaning to knock them, but they have to be further down the pecking order than Dale.

The cream always rises to the top and yet again it will be Baileys in my opinion, you mark my words.

But, there's other spots going around for those other players. Yer could get a winning forward line with three of those names and Dale easily this year. Let's see.

Bailey Dale is about 36th on the list

He isn’t streets ahead of anyone you clearly are watching a different bloke to everyone else.

More likely to be delisted at years end than make it anc that’s disappointing coz he looks to have the tools but isnt up to it.

Some of the teams on here seriously have us bottom 4 and closer to bottom 2. Sliding blokes around to possies they don’t play on so you an put your favs in isnt how footy works.

A forward line of KPS Schache and English is so bad it hurts my eyes.

The bias not having Lloyd or Duryea even close to the team is baffling.

We finished 13th for a reason they are both walk ups of fit.

Easton mentioned 'pace' as being a weapon this year and the focus on run and carry. This especially makes the following players key to our game style: Suckling, Johannisen, Williams, Richards, Llyod, Lynch, Bailey Smith, Dale and Jong when he returns.

An ex VFL coach once said “you can run as fast as you want but if you can’t find the footy or use it when you have it how does that help?”

Bailey Dale is about 36th on the list

He isn’t streets ahead of anyone you clearly are watching a different bloke to everyone else.

More likely to be delisted at years end than make it anc that’s disappointing coz he looks to have the tools but isnt up to it.

Yer winding me up, you inhouse troll. 2018, injured. 2017 better than promising. He'll be 2017+ this year.

Some of the teams on here seriously have us bottom 4 and closer to bottom 2. Sliding blokes around to possies they don’t play on so you an put your favs in isnt how footy works.

A forward line of KPS Schache and English is so bad it hurts my eyes.

The bias not having Lloyd or Duryea even close to the team is baffling.

We finished 13th for a reason they are both walk ups of fit.

Agree with you on Duryea and Lloyd in particular. I think that the Schache + English/Trengrove combo is looking more likely and not and I reckon it has a fair bit more potential then you’re giving it credit for.

Ultimately it’s the guys you build around the forward spine that are the most important and I think there’s a lot more players showing promise in that area then there were last year. God it’s be good to just kick more snags this year!

On the Ben Cavarra stuff, I’m really excited to see what he has to offer, I think Gowers only kicked a goal a game in his season at footscray before moving to the AFL program and has really improved since then. I’m really hoping Cavarra can do the same and I reckon he will! It just shows how dependent forwards are on a quality midfield and rebounding backline.

Yer winding me up, you inhouse troll. 2018, injured. 2017 better than promising. He'll be 2017+ this year.

No I’m not a troll or whinging you up.

Bailey Dale is so far off best 22 it’s not funny. Has done very little to prove he is at any stage.

I’d love him to come through but I don’t see it and nearly everyone on this forum agrees as he wasn’t close to the team picked. One other person in this whole forum gives him a chance to even make the bench in our best team. ONE so no it’s not just me.

Be lucky to play 4 games this year and only if we have injuries

No I’m not a troll or whinging you up.

Bailey Dale is so far off best 22 it’s not funny. Has done very little to prove he is at any stage.

I’d love him to come through but I don’t see it and nearly everyone on this forum agrees as he wasn’t close to the team picked.

Be lucky to play 4 games this year and only if we have injuries
I have to agree here. Bailey Dale has the potential to be a star, but could very well be delisted or traded for peanuts at year end if he doesn't show something this year. The last 2 years have left me entirely unconvinced, as he's shown glimpses of brilliance in between a ton of average and below average play. I want him to be part of our 22, but there's no way he's there right now.

I'd have Cavarra ahead for the sole purpose of giving him a run after his brilliance in the VFL. If he showed nothing in the first couple of games, I wouldn't hesitate to drop him from the 22

I have to agree here. Bailey Dale has the potential to be a star, but could very well be delisted or traded for peanuts at year end if he doesn't show something this year. The last 2 years have left me entirely unconvinced, as he's shown glimpses of brilliance in between a ton of average and below average play. I want him to be part of our 22, but there's no way he's there right now.

I'd have Cavarra ahead for the sole purpose of giving him a run after his brilliance in the VFL. If he showed nothing in the first couple of games, I wouldn't hesitate to drop him from the 22

I agree he has the tools just can’t use them.

He is a far superior football player in skill to Jong and Honey was yet they both got picked before him on numerous occasions. That says a lot to me.

And what position is he? Winger or forward? Just don’t see how he fits into the team

I agree he has the tools just can’t use them.

He is a far superior football player in skill to Jong and Honey was yet they both got picked before him on numerous occasions. That says a lot to me.

And what position is he? Winger or forward? Just don’t see how he fits into the team
Seems a lot of people are torn on that - so many seem convinced he's going to be the partner of Hunter on the wing, but I really don't think he finds the ball enough to be an effective winger. Seems even he finds it difficult to define his role in the side. At least with Jong and Honey you know what you're getting in terms of strengths and weaknesses (hence why Honey was eventually delisted)

At the end of 2017 Dale seemed a big part of our future. What poor memories some have - sane comments happened about Libba.

He is a vey good lead and mark. Excellent kick and has a good tank. Fit he is a better player than Many of our players.

Having defended him though - I think he will have a hard fight for a spot.

Gowers Trengrove/Boyd Dickson

Wallis Schache Picken

If all fit - then we have Lippy (who has looked very good at times), Greene (just looks hard to match up on and gets opportunities) Lloyd (who has performed as AFL level but was passed by at Richmond by a number of players). Cavarra is not yet AFL standard but has a toolset that could be developed and then we may either play a utility like Suckers, Richards or McLean or play one forward short and extra defender as we have in the past (with a few giggles to cope with 6-6-6)

With the likely injury toll his best is good enough to play a fair few games.

An ex VFL coach once said “you can run as fast as you want but if you can’t find the footy or use it when you have it how does that help?”
You need to watch Forrest Gump to understand how this can be a true asset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back