our midfield 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Blakely has ripped his hammy off the bone as reported by Hackdorn this morning I think we are going to have to see a few of the boys come on pretty quickly. Could create an opportunity for North. Of course I desperately hope this report is another case of exaggeration by Perth’s most anti-Freo doomsayer journalist...

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I feel Mundy will be asked one big final effort year as a pure onballer. Allows freo to play Hogan, Tabs and Lobb in the same fwd line without hurting defensively too much.

Fyfe, Brayshaw, Mundy start. Hills and Langdon on wings. Hogan, Cerra and Walters all to give chop outs on ball. Tucker the 4th midfielder starting bench rotating onball

heavho

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
and more. Potentially North if he has a good preseason.

Cerra, Brayshaw become even more so relevant
Cerra and brayshaw have to be key to the middle now yeah. We can’t be using them with a bit of flexibility. Cerra and Blakely could of rotated down back for spells but now cerra has to be used prominently in the middle

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Cerra and brayshaw have to be key to the middle now yeah. We can’t be using them with a bit of flexibility. Cerra and Blakely could of rotated down back for spells but now cerra has to be used prominently in the middle

It will be interesting thats for sure. I feel Cerra still might be used across half back or half forward. I feel they need to turn to more mature age bodies like Bewley, Mundy, S.Hill and even Banfield

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Darcy Tucker in an inside mid could yet be a great surprise packet. I agree with Clems Knee who said watching training Tucker's a see ball get ball type player. Hence his great play at two wafl games last year where he played that role. Ill bet you anything the coaches last year rated his games when he came back from being dropped much higher than most on here. He was definitely playing predominately defensive wingman after Brad Hill went down and in the role his primary job is to stop his man and stay goal side to give us protection against fast breaks from the opposition. Personally think he shares a bit in common with Menegola who never reached his potential with us because we underestimated his attacking instincts and played him in the wrong role.

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Darcy Tucker in an inside mid could yet be a great surprise packet. I agree with Clems Knee who said watching training Tucker's a see ball get ball type player. Hence his great play at two wafl games last year where he played that role. Ill bet you anything the coaches last year rated his games when he came back from being dropped much higher than most on here. He was definitely playing predominately defensive wingman after Brad Hill went down and in the role his primary job is to stop his man and stay goal side to give us protection against fast breaks from the opposition. Personally think he shares a bit in common with Menegola who never reached his potential with us because we underestimated his attacking instincts and played him in the wrong role.
Best thing about injuries is it creates opportunities, especially in key positions. Nothing worse than having to second guess yourself but Tucker has so far shown all the signs without putting much together. Hopefully he gets a run as that inside mid - see ball get ball type and makes that spot his.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Best thing about injuries is it creates opportunities, especially in key positions. Nothing worse than having to second guess yourself but Tucker has so far shown all the signs without putting much together. Hopefully he gets a run as that inside mid - see ball get ball type and makes that spot his.

That’s the only positive about injuries. They otherwise suck balls and cost games, lose premierships etc.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
That’s the only positive about injuries. They otherwise suck balls and cost games, lose premierships etc.
Some teams even manage to build depth AND rotate players through various positions WITHOUT waiting for injuries to force their hands o_O

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our lack of midfield depth has been exposed already (ofcourse our injuries are exactly where we can least afford them). We really need Cerra and Brayshaw to come on as well as you would expect of top 5 draft picks and to continue to add to the quality however we can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Our lack of midfield depth has been exposed already (ofcourse our injuries are exactly where we can least afford them). We really need Cerra and Brayshaw to come on as well as you would expect of top 5 draft picks and to continue to add to the quality however we can.
Yes indeed. For 2019, what do you think are realistic expectations?
  • Brayshaw; I think he is earmarked for a lot more time on ball. A hybrid ball-winner/defensive mid. In and around the stoppages, tackling like a madman. Taking up some of the load left from Neale leaving.
  • Cerra; I am hoping he can approach a 50:50 split between half-back and midfield, probably shared with Conca. He needs to become more consistent in his game time contribution, stay more involved. Hoping he nurtures some of his natural aggression, both physically as well as in his decision making. That is, become a starting point of our attacking moves.

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes indeed. For 2019, what do you think are realistic expectations?
  • Brayshaw; I think he is earmarked for a lot more time on ball. A hybrid ball-winner/defensive mid. In and around the stoppages, tackling like a madman. Taking up some of the load left from Neale leaving.
  • Cerra; I am hoping he can approach a 50:50 split between half-back and midfield, probably shared with Conca. He needs to become more consistent in his game time contribution, stay more involved. Hoping he nurtures some of his natural aggression, both physically as well as in his decision making. That is, become a starting point of our attacking moves.
I don't really see a role other than inside mid for Brayshaw so let's see how he goes. I would like to see him incorporate more attacking traits into his game this year. Not sure he has the size to make a huge impact as an inside mid yet though. I'd be happy for him to spend most of the year focusing on putting muscle on and learning. Peel wouldn't be the worst thing for him tbh.

I think Cerra has the tools to make an impact this year but I'm undecided on his best position. Given our injuries, I think we are already approaching a critical mass of youth/inexperience/lack of size etc in our midfield brigade and adding Cerra to that mix would probably tip us over. I want to see as many midfield minutes as possible for him but it might be difficult to accommodate this year. Back or forward flank with as many midfield minutes as possible.

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
There is no way Brayshaw will be at Peel this year, he'll be rotating in the mids, starting off the bench or half forward
Yeah I'm not saying that he belongs at Peel, just that it wouldn't hurt his development as I think he just needs to get bigger to make an impact.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

Prob should be developing Cerra as a mid instead of a hb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back