Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Please ela

Please elaborate
Whilst i agree on its a weak decision

According to Hartlett the players were askes to nominate 3 players (what imo is the problem right there, only ask for 1 ffs) and Wines and Jonas were both in something like 44 players lists with himself coming in 3rd and a few others also polling a vote, so it's not like the group is split 22/22 on who

I'm already getting messages from crow mates we are following there lead blah blah blah for that reason alone come on ports help me out.

The Crows have co-captains for totally different reasons but their decision is just as weak.

I really haven’t seen the justification for going down this path. It’s a solution that offers so much angst but no identifiable benefit other than “trust us, it will be good”.

Yep. The condescending 'our supporters need to stop prioritising tradition over success' would be one thing if one person at the club had offered a shred of evidence as to why co-captains will actually make us more successful, but they haven't. I don't value tradition over success, I value tradition over change for the sake of change, and that's exactly what co-captains is unless and until proven otherwise.
Well at least we demand success. They sure don't. They have been rewarding mediocrity for 3-4 years now.

Last edited:

I have nothing concrete to base this on, it’s just assumption, stereotyping and a faint whiff of the vibe, but something tells me that Mr Rostrevor Law Degree really wants “AFL Captain” on his CV for his executive life after football, irrespective of the cost.

Not just you, but why has this thread turned into a Jonas bashing fest over the last couple of days? It's not his fault the club is pissweak. Direct your anger where it belongs.

Not just you, but why has this thread turned into a Jonas bashing fest over the last couple of days? It's not his fault the club is pissweak. Direct your anger where it belongs.

Why should Jonas be immune to criticism? I agree that he’s not solely to blame for the situation but he’s an integral mechanism in this crap catapult.

If there was ever a reason for the Board to step in and overrule management this is it. Part of their governance function should be to ensure the club's traditions and identity are preserved for the long term and not thrown out for short-term expediency without compelling justification for change. C'mon Kochie and co., put the Football Dept back in their box on this one.

I honestly think there are some massive overreactions in this thread. Who cares if it’s one or two captains. In the end of the day it’s about the football, if the coaches think two captains will give us more chances of winning a premiership then why the hell not try it. If it doesn’t work we can change it in 2020. In the end who the f**k cares.

I understand the “tradition” argument people are saying but either way we are Port Adelaide, one or two captain we are still the same club of the past 149 years.

Everyone loves a leader who will wear the number 1 and carry the club on his back but we don’t have that leader at the moment. All we will see is someone (Wines or Jonas) try and most likely be ridiculed for lack of leadership.

What we have been doing has failed for 10 years now. I’m ready for change. If two works at the moment then I would back the club.

Well at least we demand success. They sure don't. They have been rewarding mediocrity for 3-4 years now.

Lol so much this.

So what do they do? They try and shift the goalposts because it's all too hard to win premierships.

We've seen our motto go from We Exist To Win Premierships to We Exist To Win Premierships and Make Our Community proud, down to we exist to play finals and make Our community proud.

All under the one administration.

We are vanilla. Nothing now sets us apart from any other club in the rat race. Now they want to take the number 1 captain tradition away from us too. We have nothing left to hang our Ports hats on.

We aren't who we used to be. It's taken 5-6 years but they've EST 1996ed us.

Why should Jonas be immune to criticism? I agree that he’s not solely to blame for the situation but he’s an integral mechanism in this crap catapult.

Jonas is seemingly taking advantage of the situation and the club’s weakness. Good for him, if only management had similar balls.

I understand the “tradition” argument people are saying but either way we are Port Adelaide, one or two captain we are still the same club of the past 149 years.

I can't agree with this in the slightest. We are a unique organisation with unique traditions and a long, proud and successful history which transcends it's custodians and forms the very fabric of the club. Dont forget we are still the only real club outside of Victoria to enter the AFL and we had to compromise enough as it was just to do that - alone this makes what is reportedly going down unjustifiable and unforgivable. There are certain things that make the club what it is and have always made me swell with pride as a supporter and a solitary captain wearing the number one is one of these things.

If Keith Thomas, board members or even players want to go about rewriting and meddling with the history and culture of a club that is bigger and more important than any temporary custodian they can go to the Gold Coast or the swamp down the road and do it. The history and traditions of the PAFC do not belong to them, they belong to all of us and anyone who thinks otherwise should * off now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lol so much this.

We are vanilla. Nothing now sets us apart from any other club in the rat race. Now they want to take the number 1 captain tradition away from us too. We have nothing left to hang our Ports hats on.

Succinctly put.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The SANFL, the AFL and the media have done a good enough job trying to water us down as it is, why do their job for them?

Last edited:
Interesting that if we make Wines and Jonas co-captains the team will be given special powers (or ultimate powers as called in AFLX) and we’ll be more likely to win the flag.

But if 1 is captain and the other is vice captain, we are destined to fail.

Why didn’t we do this co-captains stuff 100 years ago? Been missing out!

I’d be keen for 6-8 co captains - preferably all under 25 years of age...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

2 captains
4 vice captains
8 deputy vice captains

The other 4 players on field can be "thunda captainz" so they don't miss out

I'm sick of this s**t; this is a f*****g disgrace. This would never have happened at Port Adelaide when we were a solid and strong club that kept all of this behind closed doors!

Never would we have seen player a or player b or any player come out in public and make his case for being the captain or any player commenting on what sort of process the club should go for and we certainly didn't have players publically backing one player over another Wah Wah Wah Wah ........

F**k this s**t! We are supposed to be a united and stable club, during our successful eras that's exactly what we were now, now; have a look at us! Brawling kiddies in the sandpit and the adults are just too f*****g stupid, to self centred to put a stop to it.

We are a fu****g laughing stock and it is because, Koch, Thomas and the coach along with all the others in positions of authority being gutless spivs who haven't got the balls nor the knowhow to run Port Adelaide like the Port Adelaide that forced it's way into the best competition in the land.

We did that the Port Adelaide way. We stood up to the SANFL and the old boys network and we forged ahead. Now, we are the spitting image of the garbage we stood and fought against. Every player should be told that they are not to speak about any matters concerning captaincy or any managerial practice . They're job is to represent Port Adelaide on the football oval, not to be media commentators, not to pass judgements in public about their club or team mates. Someone should smack the ****s in the gob and tell them to shut up but who's going to do that? The tv money man, Thomas the beautiful or Hinkley the gutless?

I would remind everyone what Tim Ginever said at the time that Russell Ebert was doing his jilted lover bit when he was sacked as coach because he was not up to it. When Timmy was asked how he and the players felt about the drama, Tim said that he and all the players were Port Adelaide players and that they would do exactly what the club asked them to do, in other words, who and who isn't the coach has f**k all to do with the players and they will die for the guernsey regardless of who the coach is.

The way the players are behaving right now leaves very little doubt that their is division in the playing group and that means that we are fu***d. If this was behind closed doors, then at least it could be sorted out in private but then again, who the f**k in authority would lead and smack some heads together to sort out one of the easiest things to sort out, picking A Captain! F**k me, the coach is the boss and he sees what and who is the best person for the job so show some balls Hinkley and appoint a Captain, a Vice Captain and a Deputy Vice Captain and get on with winning football matches and if anyone has a problem with his choices , then they either accept his decision and get on with busting their balls for the guernsey or f**k them off!

STOP THIS s**t! It's breaking our heart you dumb bastards.

2 captains
4 vice captains
8 deputy vice captains

The other 4 players on field can be "thunda captainz" so they don't miss out
Oh, and what about the 4 players on the bench? are you trying to say they don't count?o_O

I can't agree with this in the slightest. We are a unique organisation with unique traditions and a long, proud and successful history which transcends it's custodians and forms the very fabric of the club. Dont forget we are still the only real club outside of Victoria to enter the AFL and we had to compromise enough as it was just to do that - alone this makes what is reportedly going down unjustifiable and unforgivable. There are certain things that make the club what it is and have always made me swell with pride as a supporter and a solitary captain wearing the number one is one of these things.

If Keith Thomas and other board members or even players want to go about rewriting and meddling with the history and culture of a club that is bigger and more important than any temporary custodian they can go to the Gold Coast or the swamp down the road and do it. The history and traditions of the PAFC do not belong to them, they belong to all of us and anyone who thinks otherwise should **** off now.

What a bizarre post.

I honestly think there are some massive overreactions in this thread. Who cares if it’s one or two captains. In the end of the day it’s about the football, if the coaches think two captains will give us more chances of winning a premiership then why the hell not try it. If it doesn’t work we can change it in 2020. In the end who the f**k cares.

I'm not fussed about one or two captains.

I don't like the club behind disengenious with its members.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Lol so much this.

So what do they do? They try and shift the goalposts because it's all too hard to win premierships.

We've seen our motto go from We Exist To Win Premierships to We Exist To Win Premierships and Make Our Community proud, down to we exist to play finals and make Our community proud.

All under the one administration.

At the convention they kept mentioning that we are here to win, obviously aware of the members sentiments around the making community proud addition but almost every time it was mentioned it was followed by a BUT...

I'm not fussed about one or two captains.

I don't like the club behind disengenious with its members.

How is it being disengenuous? It said we would make our decision and announce it prior to the JLT games.

Have said that we have a number of people who could do the job and that they haven’t ruled out co captains..

So how?

Does it really matter anymore? It's going to be co captains, there isn't much anyone can do about it if that's the decision. Are people not going to go to the footy cause of it? I doubt it....that's what we will get so may as well just brace for it and see what happens.

But all this talk of tradition this and that, I see the point, but traditions change or become dated in time. Sure our tradition is sacred, and to be cherished, but times move on. We aren't that side that played in the SANFL winning flag after flag, and lorded it over the state anymore. We stopped being that side when we became a AFL side. The competition is different, we can hold onto the core values, but what served us in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and early 2000's leadership wise is likely not to hold up in modern day footy.

Our tradition got us into the AFL, but it's time the club started making their own AFL tradition, if changing to co-captains is part of it, so be it. Our AFL tradition from 1997 isn't that great, it is actually poor or average when analyzed properly. If some change is needed to kick start that, and co-captains is part of that then that's what it has to be. I'm not overly impressed by the move, but I'm not going to cancel my membership, or not attend games, or support the club cause of it. Who knows it may work out.

This won't be a popular post I wouldn't have thought, but that's my two cents.

From a mix of words at the agm and radio interviews by King Koch and Ken we're told we are Port Adelaide but Sydney but our forefathers taught us our values but tradition is detrimental to our success but the Port Adelaide way but co captains means premierships but expect a premiership every 18 years but we'll play bold football but equalisation system but Port Adelaide way but success under Geoff Motley but but but but ...

They select what to say when they want to say it ... and you believe it.

PS: Hinkley's swapped "brave" for "bold".

Back