Prediction Next Coach Sacked

Who is the next coach to be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I could see Chris Scott resigning, but can't see him being sacked. Winning a club a premiership buys you some dignity on the way out.

Even if Bolton changed his name to Ian Stewart he wouldn't be sacked this year. 2020 is another story.

With the draw they have and the recruiting they have done, IF Lyon cant get Freo up this year, he will end up at Carlton next year. Contract means nothing, they will either put a line through it, or he will make a dash before they do.

I've always found it very odd that unlike every other non international team sport on the planet, who have moved towards a very trigger happy approach regarding managers, AFL clubs are willing to persist with coaches who have consistently failed to meet expectations.

Not to say it's wrong, keeping Bucks and Dimma paid dividends in the end for the Tigers and Magpies. But in say, Soccer, they, along with a few others like Richo and Hinkley, would've been gone.

I'd like to think Longmire and the swans will part ways via mutual agreement, we are beginning to look stale with a very archaic gameplay. But given he has been successful, apart from the 2 gf losses, I don't think he deserves the dishonour of being sacked.

If Port start poorly, it will be Hinkley. Think Kochie et Al are at the end of their tether.
There is likely not as many desirable head coaching candidates available in the AFL as other professional sports.

There is likely not as many desirable head coaching candidates available in the AFL as other professional sports.

And to add to my own post, also not huge financial incentives for finishing a certain position (e.g. champions league, avoiding relegation) and of course the flow on effect in other areas for failing to meet the objectives.

If you have a poor year, the AFL is a lot more forgiving in terms of consequences and time. Bucks and Hardwick show that persistence can pay off but due to the stakes involved, you never get to see this play out in many other sports.

And to add to my own post, also not huge financial incentives for finishing a certain position (e.g. champions league, avoiding relegation) and of course the flow on effect in other areas for failing to meet the objectives.

If you have a poor year, the AFL is a lot more forgiving in terms of consequences and time. Bucks and Hardwick show that persistence can pay off but due to the stakes involved, you never get to see this play out in many other sports.
Great points.

The AFL certainly is very forgiving in terms of consequences with clubs failing to succeed. Hell, they actually reward failure in a way with superior draft picks and a fixture which is supposedly more favourable.

Persistence with Hardwick did seem to work and he definitely deserves his credit. But at the same time Neil Balme, Xavier Clarke, Blake Caracella and Justin Leppitsch were brought to the club and clearly had an impact. As well as bringing in Dion Prestia, Josh Caddy and Toby Nankervis into the playing group for the premiership year of 2017. So in a nutshell, yes, persistence can work if the club truly believes that the current head coach is the man for the job, but sometimes other people and issues need to be addressed and/or changed to make things run smoothly.

Jeeps the Saints would want to win round 1 ( they will ) but if GC somehow manage to cause an upset which can happen early on with the younger teams peaking early and the more established teams looking to build into it then I wonder if a RD1 sacking could ever happen ?

As far as a football related RD1 sacking as opposed to some sort of behavioural type situation the only likely set of circumstances would be the ones the Saints currently find themselves in

A coach under pressure after a disappointing previous season that fell way short of expectations

And

A RD1 game against the overwhelming wooden spoon fancy at home

It won't happen of course but can anyone recall what the earliest RD a coach has been shown the door

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jeeps the Saints would want to win round 1 ( they will ) but if GC somehow manage to cause an upset which can happen early on with the younger teams peaking early and the more established teams looking to build into it then I wonder if a RD1 sacking could ever happen ?

As far as a football related RD1 sacking as opposed to some sort of behavioural type situation the only likely set of circumstances would be the ones the Saints currently find themselves in

A coach under pressure after a disappointing previous season that fell way short of expectations

And

A RD1 game against the overwhelming wooden spoon fancy at home

It won't happen of course but can anyone recall what the earliest RD a coach has been shown the door

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Schimmelbusch was sacked and replaced by Pagan after a very poor preseason game vs Adelaide in 1993

Lmao imagine spending 3 years putting a list together and getting sacked because the draftees you recruited didn't hit puberty fast enough. Bolton is safe for now.

Next year though...
Surely another season with 4 wins or less though would have him under extreme pressure?
I'm tipping 6+ though which would see him safe.

Unsackable premiership heroes: Clarko, Simpson, Bevo, Hardwick

Close enough recently enough: Buckley, Pyke

The tenured pros: Longmire, C Scott - you can mount a case for change but these clubs haven't shown any desire to do so, why would that change?

Can afford a down year: Fagan, Goodwin

The ??? - coaches of teams with unusual expectations: Bolton (4+ wins and competitive should retain him), Dew (very low bar), B Scott (needs some wins but has been backed by North to handle a rebuild on the run)

The 'I guess they have some leeway': Worsfold, Cameron

The hot seat: Hinkley, Lyon, Richardson

Personally think the Dogs should think hard about sacking Beveridge if they don't improve this year.

Personally think the Dogs should think hard about sacking Beveridge if they don't improve this year.

We should improve with the amount of youth in the side, but not sure Bev is in immediate danger. He doesn’t have the premiership list at his disposal. He’s got a developing one.

There’s a few coaches under more pressure realistically

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My tip is Alan Richardson. Not sure of his contract status though.
Contracted until 2020, but IIRC there's a clause in his contract that allows him to be sacked at the end of this year and avoiding a payout.

We should improve with the amount of youth in the side, but not sure Bev is in immediate danger. He doesn’t have the premiership list at his disposal. He’s got a developing one.

There’s a few coaches under more pressure realistically

Yeah I don't see him as a realistic chance of being sacked. I just think moving him on would be a good move for the dogs.

Maybe Leon Cameron would come home too.

Neither have shown an ability to get the same out of a list Beveridge has though
Yeah look Bevo is safe as houses, I see him staying on at least through to the current list's peak, which is still a couple years out.

He's been far from the perfect coach since the premiership but the team hasn't been the same either. They've still been developing players and showing a path back to success so I don't think he's really hurting them in any way.

If they aren't doing any harm overall I think you're far better off with a coach who's climbed the mountain once before than one who hasn't.

It would take something pretty bad to happen in 2019 for Bevo not to get another shot at turning it around the year after.

Both clubs made calls on whether the coach had the capacity to lead the club to a flag. Frankly I didn't see it in Hardwick after 2016, but the club did and that's what counts. After seven seasons they would have a fair idea.

"We would sincerely hope Damien is a Tommy Hafey-type who coaches for 10-plus years and coaches us to premierships," [president Gary] March said.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...b0e859302?sv=219e277a58a5c92d0571f12ae591a95a

The club reiterated this belief that they had the right man several times over the journey.

Last edited:
Back