Unofficial Preview AFLW Round 3 - Fremantle v Collingwood - Saturday 16th February 19 Fremantle Oval, 4:15pm (AEST) 7:15PM (ADST)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sure the girls will be offended with your comments that their comp is ‘little more than a lightening premiership’. I’m sure they don’t feel that way just as I’m sure it’s one of the reasons the better players have moved on at the first opportunity. The club probably has a similar attitude in that it’s something we probably should have but don’t waste too much time on it because we don’t view it as a serious comp.

I can tell you the AFL local club in my area had record number of junior players last year. The number of boys actually fell (many going to play soccer), however, the girls playing has been increasing at a phenomenal rate. These girls are the future supporter base and players.

A friend of mine (ex-Carlton footballer) even told me that he received a call from Carlton about his 10 year old daughter in that the blues are setting up like a junior academy.

So, other clubs have seen the potential and future growth and so are taking it very seriously. The Pies don’t seem to be. Probably because, like yourself, they see it as nothing more than a ‘lightening premiership’. And the players who have left probably agree that’s the attitude coming from the club.
By lightning premiership I meant it is a short season. Seems like you just want to create an arguement that isn’t there.

I haven't been a fan of the coach in previous seasons. We had very little system in 2017 and 2018, we have less system now, but now the picture is complicated by the fact that the quality of our list is markedly lower than before.

Maybe there needs to be a mini-review at the end of the season. It might yield nothing, or at the very least it might lay the foundation for a culture of women's footy at Collingwood where the star draftees and recruits of the future will want to play at the club and stay at the club.

Hopefully they can turn things around next week, like they've done after the poor starts of season 1 and 2.

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
By lightning premiership I meant it is a short season. Seems like you just want to create an arguement that isn’t there.
No. You are trivialising the women’s comp because the season is short (and they are not as professional). Correct me if I’m wrong however isn’t that your reason why it’s unnecessary to review the performance unlike what you would expect with the men?

No. You are trivialising the women’s comp because the season is short (and they are not as professional). Correct me if I’m wrong however isn’t that your reason why it’s unnecessary to review the performance unlike what you would expect with the men?
Wrong again. I think women’s footy is great. Clearly though the competition is in its early stages of development. Hardly worth losing your s**t over.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
The issue isn’t the players.

The coach has no idea. It’s just basics. Stop playing players out of position.

Alexander down back when we have no legit tall targets down forward ?

Cecilia McIntosh should be down back. Has leg speed and is wasted up forward. As she looks like she doesn’t know what she’s doing.

Chiochi isn’t a mid. Needs to be playing off HFF.

That’s three obvious ones that straightens our team up in a few positions.

We had ridiculous amount of changes in off season. Bernadi , Duffin , Garner , Hope and King are all top ten players. We lose five of our top ten on top of our best player Molloy to injury.

You can’t blame the girls on the field today when the new teams entering are poaching players. The league is run like a joke.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This...its not rocket science. We've been gutted and had no chance (Yet) to replenish and recover. Thanks AFL
Anyone noticed the free kick differential in all our games? I guess we're getting to the ball second?

This...its not rocket science. We've been gutted and had no chance (Yet) to replenish and recover. Thanks AFL
Anyone noticed the free kick differential in all our games? I guess we're getting to the ball second?
At least it’s giving people something to complain about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

Not blaming the girls at all. They are doing their best.

Questions need to be asked of the coach and those responsible for running the women’s team.

We have had plenty of turnover of our best players. Why is that? Can’t be for $$. It’s fair to conclude that they didn’t want to play for the Pies for other reasons which needs to be reviewed.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we had Molloy up and running this year, no doubt she would be the focal point up forward, would make a huge difference as she beats her opponents one on one with such ease

We lost 4 Forwards essentially

Garner , Hope , Duffin and the biggest lost of the lot was Bernardi. She was on fire last season
Who needs free agency when you have 1 year deals.

We're a very young and experienced team. Hopefully the more the girls play together, the better they will get with experience.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

While there's always a few WTF decisions in a game and no replays to better gauge, my reading of it is that a fair % of that differential is self imposed via poor skills or bad decisions, so not reading too much into it.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
If fans were accepting of the results so far, then wouldn’t they be accused of being patronising?

I think it's a little more complex than that.

Personally, I had very low expectations this season given the player exodus of the previous 2 years, and that our best player would miss the entire season. Given those caveats, I can accept the results season to date. Thought we actually should have beaten the Cats and we were stiff to not at least hang on for a draw. Conversely, I can't accept the manner in which we're losing and especially the poor skills.

For me, it's what we get out of this year in terms of player development that'll be the key. To date, we seem to have unearthed a couple of exciting longer term prospects in Brazill, Alexander, Shevlin, Lynch, Allen and Rowe. Hopefully we see some continued growth within the group as we progress and it sets us up 2020 and beyond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back