Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty exciting that he's up to a level where he can handle about half an intra club without issues. Its taken longer than we hoped but the early rounds of the season look to be on the cards with round 1 a chance.

Pretty exciting that he's up to a level where he can handle about half an intra club without issues. Its taken longer than we hoped but the early rounds of the season look to be on the cards with round 1 a chance of kicking an absolute bag to kick start our season.
EFA

GOOD STEPS FORWARD :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream: and stints with the main training group, but we knew that already :tongueclosed:

Essendon Physical Performance Manager Justin Crow says star forward Joe Daniher has made “good steps forward” in his recovery from osteitis pubis.
The 2017 Crichton Medallist, who has been out of action since round seven last year, recently returned for stints with the main training group at The Hangar and Crow said he is pleased with the tall forward’s progress.

“I think Joe’s making some good steps forward, we’ve seen him in some training drills over the last fortnight,” Crow said on the SKINS Injury Update on Tuesday.

“We’ve got to remember that over the previous six months Joe has done hardly any football at all and with a long-term view to his return, building the fundamentals for the rest of his career.

“We’ll be taking it step by step with Joe, but we’ll expect to see him in more and more football-specific training over the next month.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-02-05/skins-injury-update-preseason

I'm hearing half saying he's cooked and never to play again, the other half saying he is going to win the next 6 Colemans.

There is no in between

I'm hearing half saying he's cooked and never to play again, the other half saying he is going to win the next 6 Colemans.

There is no in between

As a doomsayer, and as someone who has a hernia that is intrinsically linked to Joe's injury, I can tell you that the hernia is shrinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just had a look at Joe's stats and compared him with Jake Stringer - they are remarkably similar;-

Joe: age - 24 and 11 months, games - 100, average disposals - 12.7, goals - 1.8, tackles - 1.3, marks - 5.8
Jake: age - 24 and 9 months, games - 109, average disposals - 13.1, goals - 1.7, tackles - 2.3, marks - 3.3

If we can get anywhere between 30 - 50 goals out of these guys it would be huge - our two most important forwards...

I think we won't see him for the first month of the season. I'm expecting him to return round 5-7.

Well Worsfold said himself just a few days ago "aiming for round 1 but not at any cost". You can read into that however you choose but the club would not risk raising expectations if round 1 wasn't at least a decent chance of occurring. So I'd suggest that whilst anything is possible that its more likely he will be back far earlier to the best of the club and Joe's knowledge.

Plus just generally the fact he's doing more and more match practice + high speed/intensity exercises suggests he's not all that far away.

Really hope he gets at least a couple of games in before ANZAC Day so he can get some match practice up and then destroy Collingwood.

Well Worsfold said himself just a few days ago "aiming for round 1 but not at any cost". You can read into that however you choose but the club would not risk raising expectations if round 1 wasn't at least a decent chance of occurring. So I'd suggest that whilst anything is possible that its more likely he will be back far earlier to the best of the club and Joe's knowledge.

Plus just generally the fact he's doing more and more match practice + high speed/intensity exercises suggests he's not all that far away.
It's what I expect. If he comes back earlier, then great.

I don't trust what the club says to the media when it comes to injuries because it almost always seems to be the best case scenario. At this stage, round 3-4 is the best I'll be hoping for.

His signs at training look promising. If they choose to play him out of the square so all he has to do is run in straight lines, lead and mark, I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with him playing. I watched a Gumbleton game yesterday and quietly feared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back