Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

He is on the list, though, and other than Menzel there isn't anyone else that you could realistically hope to improve the forward line by bringing in more than a goal a game that wasn't playing in it in 2017. You may not rate him highly, but I'm not sure who you could rate higher as a lead up marking target who could better replace him in the 22.

If having a lead up marking target means we have to play a dud then I’d rather not have a lead up marking target. No more passengers it’s cost us enough in recent years.

If having a lead up marking target means we have to play a dud then I’d rather not have a lead up marking target. No more passengers it’s cost us enough in recent years.
Yet you still won't admit by your logic that (regardless of age) McCartin is a passenger.

Also getting really sick of hearing that McCartin is definitely the messiah and should be played over Reid based on potential when Reid literally had better stats than him in their respective first seasons.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...ayerStatus2=A&tid2=17&pid2=6484&fid2=S&type=A

Yet you still won't admit by your logic that (regardless of age) McCartin is a passenger.

Also getting really sick of hearing that McCartin is definitely the messiah and should be played over Reid based on potential when Reid literally had better stats than him in their respective first seasons.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...ayerStatus2=A&tid2=17&pid2=6484&fid2=S&type=A

I never said McCartin was better, or not a passenger, or the messiah. But one should be on the list, the other should not. In my opinion. So which do you think I personally prefer? Stop thinking your frustration at my opinions will change them.

I never said McCartin was better, or not a passenger, or the messiah. But one should be on the list, the other should not. In my opinion. So which do you think I personally prefer? Stop thinking your frustration at my opinions will change them.
I'm not trying to change your opinion. Merely pointing out how unsubstantiated it is. Again I simply don't see why a team in finals contention should even consider delisting their second best KPF. That's genuine insanity.

I'm not trying to change your opinion. Merely pointing out how unsubstantiated it is. Again I simply don't see why a team in finals contention should even consider delisting their second best KPF. That's genuine insanity.
Your metrics for quantifying your assertions are clearly flawed, how many times per quarter does Reid bring the ball to ground compared to Mccartin?

Your metrics for quantifying your assertions are clearly flawed, how many times per quarter does Reid bring the ball to ground compared to Mccartin?
You tell me considering you're the one banging on about it. I've provided plenty of stats, not sure the anti-Reid brigade has as of yet.

We were killed in the air last year.

Sometimes I don't get this board. People complain about our lack of a forward structure last year and our inability to score and demand change. People complain about us bringing back a 1.5 goal a game CHF who missed the entire season and whose absence was a contribution to the structural problems we faced. The only consistency in all of this is that people complain.

It's not unsubstantiated. As I said I use my eyes to watch footy and I don't rate Reid at all, so why would I want him to be in the team or on the list at all? It's not like I'm just picking on him because I'm bored and I want someone to pick on.

Sometimes I don't get this board. People complain about our lack of a forward structure last year and our inability to score and demand change. People complain about us bringing back a 1.5 goal a game CHF who missed the entire season and whose absence was a contribution to the structural problems we faced. The only consistency in all of this is that people complain.

That's an incredibly narrow-minded outlook. Forward structure does not automatically key position CHF with marking ability. Forward structure, to me, means having players tall, small, skinny, fat, whatever, in the forward line. Not being dragged into the defensive 50, not being stationary targets once the transition out of defensive 50 begins. Papley has just as much chance of winning a ground ball against his opponent as Reid does taking a mark in the air against his opponent.

What you are unknowingly doing by consistently emphasising the importance of Reid is incriminating the coach you vehemently defend. Because we didn't have Reid last year. We had a small forward line. And yet we played like Reid was there. We ignored and neglected and mis-used our talented mosquito fleet in favour of mile-high long bombs to nothing. It was deliberate, it was intentional, and it was calculated. And it didn't work.

So OK, Reid is super important to this team and our structure. How strange though that our coach who can do wrong couldn't find a way to create a functioning forward line in his absence. Oh well, Reid's back this year to save Longmire's bacon I guess! We'll be unstoppable now!

That's an incredibly narrow-minded outlook. Forward structure does not automatically key position CHF with marking ability. Forward structure, to me, means having players tall, small, skinny, fat, whatever, in the forward line. Not being dragged into the defensive 50, not being stationary targets once the transition out of defensive 50 begins. Papley has just as much chance of winning a ground ball against his opponent as Reid does taking a mark in the air against his opponent.

What you are unknowingly doing by consistently emphasising the importance of Reid is incriminating the coach you vehemently defend. Because we didn't have Reid last year. We had a small forward line. And yet we played like Reid was there. We ignored and neglected and mis-used our talented mosquito fleet in favour of mile-high long bombs to nothing. It was deliberate, it was intentional, and it was calculated. And it didn't work.

So OK, Reid is super important to this team and our structure. How strange though that our coach who can do wrong couldn't find a way to create a functioning forward line in his absence. Oh well, Reid's back this year to save Longmire's bacon I guess! We'll be unstoppable now!

You realise that when we started the season in 2018 we had a list that had a pretty well stocked key forward and ruck contingent, and then by round 3 had only a couple of them left fit to play for the rest of the season?

It wasn't like we just lost Sam Reid and so everything went to s**t. We lost Tippett, Reid and Naismith all at the same time, which basically left all of our rucking to Sinclair and Franklin as our only key forward who had any AFL experience. If you look at any AFL list and you remove the second and third choice key forwards and the first choice ruckman for the entire season, they are going to struggle.

I am not going to say that we consistently did a good job adapting to this situation, because we didn't. I don't think the issue was simply that the team was trying to play the same way despite not having the playing stocks to do it, the poor delivery in to the forward line also had a lot to do with an underperforming midfield group and the natural inconsistency you get when you bring a lot of young players in to the team. There were, as always, a range of factors. Some in the control of the coach, some not. That responsibility falls on Longmire to make the best out of whatever situation he finds himself in, though, and I don't think he is perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I want to see changes coming in to this season. I need to see them if I am to continue to support him as our coach. But I am going to make my judgments about him with consideration to the context in which he had to make them. If that makes me an apologist in your eyes then so be it. I think it just makes me reasonable. And yes, the implication there is that I think a lot of the criticisms on this board are unreasonable.

I don't think Reid coming back solves all the problems that we had last year. But it does solve some of them.

You realise that when we started the season in 2018 we had a list that had a pretty well stocked key forward and ruck contingent, and then by round 3 had only a couple of them left fit to play for the rest of the season?

It wasn't like we just lost Sam Reid and so everything went to s**t. We lost Tippett, Reid and Naismith all at the same time, which basically left all of our rucking to Sinclair and Franklin as our only key forward who had any AFL experience. If you look at any AFL list and you remove the second and third choice key forwards and the first choice ruckman for the entire season, they are going to struggle.

I am not going to say that we consistently did a good job adapting to this situation, because we didn't. I don't think the issue was simply that the team was trying to play the same way despite not having the playing stocks to do it, the poor delivery in to the forward line also had a lot to do with an underperforming midfield group and the natural inconsistency you get when you bring a lot of young players in to the team. There were, as always, a range of factors. Some in the control of the coach, some not. That responsibility falls on Longmire to make the best out of whatever situation he finds himself in, though, and I don't think he is perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I want to see changes coming in to this season. I need to see them if I am to continue to support him as our coach. But I am going to make my judgments about him with consideration to the context in which he had to make them. If that makes me an apologist in your eyes then so be it. I think it just makes me reasonable. And yes, the implication there is that I think a lot of the criticisms on this board are unreasonable.

I don't think Reid coming back solves all the problems that we had last year. But it does solve some of them.

All of the above is fair enough and would be 100% understandable if it was exclusive to 2018. But nonsensical forward entries, stagnant transitioning out of defence and a forward structure that is baron have been staples of Horse's tenure. There have been good staples - like the staggering assembly line of ready-made kids, a consistent winning culture, incredible efforts of defensive pressure and contested ball winning and a back-line that is one of the best I've ever seen. But we can't pretend like there aren't negative trademarks of the Swans under Horse.

These are complaints folks had even when we were a dominant force in 2016, people were correctly identifying this as a struggle for us. That year I similarly anticipated that the way we played would kill us at the SCG (and lo and behold...) So it's not like people just rallied together and turned on Horse because of one underwhelming season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ask Buddy if he would rather play with Reid or with no support at all and I could guarantee you what he would prefer.

Apparently so if anyone dares fling even a feather in the direction of an individual at the club.
Bullshit. 90% of posts on this board are cynical.

I'm also sick of this myth that we have been too defensive for a number of seasons now. It was specific too last year. I won't get into the debate regarding whether it was structural or tactical.

We had the best defence for a number of years and were also generally in the top scoring sides. It's genuinely amazing that people found and still continue to find a way to complain about this.

I'm also sick of this myth that we have been too defensive for a number of seasons now. It was specific too last year. I won't get into the debate regarding whether it was structural or tactical.

We had the best defence for a number of years and were also generally in the top scoring sides. It's genuinely amazing that people found and still continue to find a way to complain about this.

The only constant with our scoring under Longmire is that we average only 70-80 points at the MCG, across like 5 seasons now. Bogey ground for sure.

The only constant with our scoring under Longmire is that we average only 70-80 points at the MCG, across like 5 seasons now. Bogey ground for sure.
I've always wondered what it was, but maybe this is where the myth stems from. Because the narrative that we're too defensive isn't backed by stats at all.

Maybe I'm easily pleased but if we're generally scoring comfortably more points than we're having scored against us, I'm satisfied.

It's not unsubstantiated. As I said I use my eyes to watch footy and I don't rate Reid at all, so why would I want him to be in the team or on the list at all? It's not like I'm just picking on him because I'm bored and I want someone to pick on.
Harsh, Reid kicked a goal in the 2012 GF and took a mark on the goal line one time. Thats twice as many highlights as Rohan.

Bullshit. 90% of posts on this board are cynical.

Because you don't agree with them. Why you would assume that someone is posting a critical opinion just to be cynical, I don't know. But as I said in another thread, give your fellow supporters some credit. Everyone wants to see the club succeed and they all have their own way of supporting the club, whether that's being overly optimistic or negative, that's their right and we all want the same thing.

I for one enjoy having discussions with you about Reid because it's interesting seeing the different perspectives each of us have to offer. I was in the same boat with Aliir last year as you are with Reid right now. Where you lose me is when you adopt the mentality that criticism = hatred, or criticism = uneducated. That's just simply not the case.

I've always wondered what it was, but maybe this is where the myth stems from. Because the narrative that we're too defensive isn't backed by stats at all.

Maybe I'm easily pleased but if we're generally scoring comfortably more points than we're having scored against us, I'm satisfied.

I think it's possible that people confuse lacking a killer instinct with being too defensive. I think prior to the last few years we've actually been as defensive as we needed to be. But I think we do lack a killer instinct. That ability to really stamp our authority on games and humiliate our opponents, to not have lapses in games when we're in total control, to back up a dominant quarter with another dominant quarter or two. Not only does that mean we have never been as prolific at scoring as we could potentially be, but I think it hurts us in finals. So often in those matches our undoing has been how simply unprepared to do battle we were. Not unwilling to do battle, but just not ready. Not ready for 30 minutes of intense footy where you actually want to win every contest, not ready to try and capitalise on our momentum when we have a lead. I think in past years it's just meant that contagious winning feeling that has carried other teams through successful finals series has evaded us.

I know people correlate the killer instinct complaint with fans just wanting to see us flog teams, but I think there's merit in the idea that regularly flogging and humiliating teams means you can call upon that experience of playing 120 minutes of high-intensity footy when you need to come September.

Ask Buddy if he would rather play with Reid or with no support at all and I could guarantee you what he would prefer.

It's not about Buddy, it's about the forward line as a whole. After all, that's what we need to improve on, Buddy doesn't need improving. We need to get the chemistry between our midfielders and our forward line right, and the chemistry between the forwards themselves to be better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jack Riewoldt win the Coleman in 2018 with no support? Didn't he win a flag in 2017 with no support? And I'm sorry but Buddy Franklin > Jack Riewoldt. The support comes from a midfield that delivers the ball more effectively and a forward structure that actually allows for the forwards to remain in the f50. That's when the small forwards are brought into the game more, and that's when we rely on Buddy less and the load he has to carry is lighter, and that is what he prefers.

We continue to base our forward structure around a bloke like Reid and you can kiss all of that goodbye. The un-markable long bombs will continue, the small forwards will continue to struggle consistently impacting games, and Buddy will continue to be hampered by having to inevitably step up to the plate to take Reid's load when he inevitably struggles to impact the game.

That is why I don't like the idea of having Reid in the best 22. And if we're going to have that Reid-type, I'd rather it be Sinclair, who can at least support in the ruck when Naismith returns.

Because you don't agree with them. Why you would assume that someone is posting a critical opinion just to be cynical, I don't know. But as I said in another thread, give your fellow supporters some credit. Everyone wants to see the club succeed and they all have their own way of supporting the club, whether that's being overly optimistic or negative, that's their right and we all want the same thing.

I for one enjoy having discussions with you about Reid because it's interesting seeing the different perspectives each of us have to offer. I was in the same boat with Aliir last year as you are with Reid right now. Where you lose me is when you adopt the mentality that criticism = hatred, or criticism = uneducated. That's just simply not the case.
If you enjoy having the discussions, why did you have a bitch about 'if anyone dares to fling even a feather in the direction of the club'? I have no problems with posts criticising the club, but I think we post a fairly disproportionate amount of criticism on this board for a club that has missed finals once in what is now nearing the last 2 decades.
I think it's possible that people confuse lacking a killer instinct with being too defensive. I think prior to the last few years we've actually been as defensive as we needed to be. But I think we do lack a killer instinct. That ability to really stamp our authority on games and humiliate our opponents, to not have lapses in games when we're in total control, to back up a dominant quarter with another dominant quarter or two. Not only does that mean we have never been as prolific at scoring as we could potentially be, but I think it hurts us in finals. So often in those matches our undoing has been how simply unprepared to do battle we were. Not unwilling to do battle, but just not ready. Not ready for 30 minutes of intense footy where you actually want to win every contest, not ready to try and capitalise on our momentum when we have a lead. I think in past years it's just meant that contagious winning feeling that has carried other teams through successful finals series has evaded us.

I know people correlate the killer instinct complaint with fans just wanting to see us flog teams, but I think there's merit in the idea that regularly flogging and humiliating teams means you can call upon that experience of playing 120 minutes of high-intensity footy when you need to come September.
I think there's a few factors to it. We definitely have some mental demons in big games, particularly against the Hawks and Giants. That being said, I feel it's hard to pin down the problem to anything in particular. i.e. the loss to Geelong in 2017 is a pretty hard one to explain.

We've also had some pretty rotten luck with injuries at the wrong time of the year. Buddy doesn't get hurt in the first 5 minutes of the 2016 Grand Final and we probably win, and I doubt we'd be having many of these conversations. You need a lot to go right to win a Grand Final, and the one year it probably did, we were simply outclassed by a better team that gave one of the best Grand Final performances you will ever see.

I do agree that the key thing holding us back from winning a Premiership over the last few years has probably been the mental game, though.

If you enjoy having the discussions, why did you have a bitch about 'if anyone dares to fling even a feather in the direction of the club'? I have no problems with posts criticising the club, but I think we post a fairly disproportionate amount of criticism on this board for a club that has missed finals once in what is now nearing the last 2 decades.

I think there's a few factors to it. We definitely have some mental demons in big games, particularly against the Hawks and Giants. That being said, I feel it's hard to pin down the problem to anything in particular. i.e. the loss to Geelong in 2017 is a pretty hard one to explain.

We've also had some pretty rotten luck with injuries at the wrong time of the year. Buddy doesn't get hurt in the first 5 minutes of the 2016 Grand Final and we probably win, and I doubt we'd be having many of these conversations. You need a lot to go right to win a Grand Final, and the one year it probably did, we were simply outclassed by a better team that gave one of the best Grand Final performances you will ever see.

I do agree that the key thing holding us back from winning a Premiership over the last few years has probably been the mental game, though.

Your first point, it was not a bitch, merely a point. Any criticism that is directed at the club is treated like a gross misconduct and met with mud-slinging and supporter-shaming. I'm not sure how it can be disproportionately critical when we've only won one flag in the last decade. Under Horse there have been seven seasons where we haven't won a flag. As I said, we all choose to support differently. Some people are happy to be runner-up in a grand final and be the second-best team of that year, others think that if you're not first, then you're last.

As for your second point, the 2014 grand final was the story of one team coming to play, the other not. Similarly to the 2016 grand final, the Bulldogs looked significantly more switched on than we did, even with the injuries to Buddy, underdone players and fraudster umpiring. I think you have to develop that inner desire in a team to want to annihilate your opponent so that it will come out when you need it in those really tough matches, like grand finals. That desire starts in the home and away season, in the routine thrashings of cellar dweller sides. The fact we often go into our shell or shut up shop once we have a significant lead in matches over and over and over tells me we lack a certain ruthlessness. And then we wonder why in certain finals we aren't ruthless enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back