Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
As CS has been at the club since 2011... I wonder which player is the best that has been developed under his stewardship?

Blitz ? 2 B&F's... certainly has been a useful tool for him , and now may become a very good FB... probably not what id say is a crowd drawing player but not many are. Im not sure what that says about most of the group that have been drafted in this era as Blitz cam from a non traditional Rookie B path..
Id also say I have hope for several others that are a lot fresher ... ..I guess now being signed to 2022 ... if he achieves nothing else we should have another name or two to add to the mix..

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I know your this guy. Bloody Tasmanians.
1ATI.gif

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
With Geelong's list ranked number 9 in 2019, it will take a Scott miracle to win the flag this year.
Obviously, just getting us to the finals again will be a herculean effort, and worthy of another three-year extension.

Now now, baiting isn't very friendly

With Geelong's list ranked number 9 in 2019, it will take a Scott miracle to win the flag this year.
Obviously, just getting us to the finals again will be a herculean effort, and worthy of another three-year extension.

I hope no-one bites.....

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Id hope he would be at the club ..and working with the younger guys. The older ones should be the ones he talks thru the year and let Scarlo etc have them now.
Its asking a lot for him to be at the club for the pre season but his commitment is such that hes been there nearly since the start of February

Id hope he would be at the club ..and working with the younger guys. The older ones should be the ones he talks thru the year and let Scarlo etc have them now.
It's already been acknowledged that he needs to work on his relationship with the younger players. That must be why he rocked up so early this pre season during February! Lol

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
As CS has been at the club since 2011... I wonder which player is the best that has been developed under his stewardship?

Blitz ? 2 B&F's... certainly has been a useful tool for him , and now may become a very good FB... probably not what id say is a crowd drawing player but not many are. Im not sure what that says about most of the group that have been drafted in this era as Blitz cam from a non traditional Rookie B path..
Id also say I have hope for several others that are a lot fresher ... ..I guess now being signed to 2022 ... if he achieves nothing else we should have another name or two to add to the mix..

I think Mitch Duncan has developed nicely.

He has had some injury setbacks, and probably hasn't reached his full potential yet, but he is pretty handy in the midfield and a great midfield kick.

The funny thing is, if Bomber was still coaching the club, Duncan wouldn't have played, because Thompson would have played all the premiership players, no matter what their form, rather than blood youngsters for the future.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Hahaha, Jake must not know about Scott's finals coaching record, can someone please tell him that even with the inherited side that won all finals in 2011 he's record is still hovering at a lowly 40%, one of the worst of any coach who's had so much action in September.

Wouldn't matter.

CS could have won every final since 2011, and you would still think he is an awful coach.

Just admit that you have had it in for him since day one, and have never liked him as a person.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Good to see footy journalism is at its usual standard.

So Geelong fans think it's 2009 apparently. I'd offer a few questions for him:

Do you have evidence that Geelong fans think he has the 2009 side at his command?
Can you explain why we've only won 3 of our last 12 finals?
Can you explain why we've gone goalless in the opening quarter of a final three years in succession?
Can you explain how in 2016 and 2017 we finished 2nd on the ladder but didn't even make the grand final?

Whatever vehicle is being driven in 2019, the fact is Scott has had 8 full seasons now. It's his responsibility.

The only reason Scott's position hasn't been under threat is because "journalists" like Niall don't do their job.

The only reason that Scott's position IS under threat is because of entitled, spoilt supporters who demand a flag every year, and overrate our list.

I bet you wish Druggy was still coaching us.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
All good questions.
I'm not Jake, but allow me...

Do you have evidence that Geelong fans think he has the 2009 side at his command?
Perhaps he feels Geelong is travelling as good as it can, considering it doesn't have that 2009 team at its disposal? (I suspect he is targeting those more "vocal" Scott critics here.)
Can you explain why we've only won 3 of our last 12 finals?
We started badly and couldn't catch up? We stuffed up in the dying minutes? Complacency? Selection? I guess it depends which final you are talking about.
Can you explain why we've gone goalless in the opening quarter of a final three years in succession?
Overawed? Underprepared? Mentally weak? I wish I knew the real answer.
Can you explain how in 2016 and 2017 we finished 2nd on the ladder but didn't even make the grand final?
We weren't good enough?

Yes, Chris Scott is the man in charge. I suspect even Jake will change his tune if we get more of the same this year.
But he might be right. Maybe we just aren't good enough.

"Chris Scott is the man in charge".

Except when it comes to success, according to you, since you never give him credit for any of the successes.

It wouldn't matter how many finals he won as coach, as you would give credit to others for those victories, not him, like you give credit to Druggy for the 2011 flag.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Good coach during home and away. Extremely questionable during finals. List development, particularly involving retention of the perennially injured and recruitment of moderate middle aged players also questionable. And after eight full seasons in charge remarkably some don't think any of it is his fault.

List development isn't his responsibility. This is why clubs have list managers, to do that job. Blame them for any failures.

"Retention of perennially injured players"

Yet you all moaned when we got rid of Dan Menzel this year, who gets injured all the time.

Personally, I would have delisted Menzel, Vardy, McCarthy and Cowan long before the club did, and used those spots for players with some durability.

"recruitment of moderate, middle-aged players".

Yeah, Patrick Dangerfield is a moderate player, is he?

Zac Touhy has been good value.

Gazza has slowed down, but still offers something.

You can't put every player in the "Lachie Henderson" basket.

Funny, I thought that others do recruiting, list development and injury management, yet you hold CS responsible for all of it, except, of course, when it works out, then you give those responsible their due credit, but none of the blame.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I wish CS would get coked up and take an interest in the young blokes girlfriends.
He actually might have a reason to talk to them.
Yeah bailing on the rent for a couple of years is a good effort but compared to the great Bomber it's just another instance of just not quite matching it.

Scott has done more for the young players than Bomber ever did.

After the flags, Bomber had no interest in playing youngsters for the future, instead giving games to premiership players, even when they were out of form.

Bomber let some of the players lead him around (like Chapman and Scarlett) and, in some cases, the tail wagged the dog. Hell, the only reason that Geelong started having a winning season in 2007 was because it was player-driven.

I haven't heard any reports that Scott doesn't talk to the young players ( I think it has been made up by people on here to again discredit Scott) But maybe one of the assistant coaches is charged with looking after the young players. The senior coach can't do everything.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I wish CS would get coked up and take an interest in the young blokes girlfriends.
He actually might have a reason to talk to them.
Yeah bailing on the rent for a couple of years is a good effort but compared to the great Bomber it's just another instance of just not quite matching it.

Maybe if Bomber focused on his job, and not stealing other players' girlfriend, doing shady property deals, using drugs, making calls to Essendon during the 2010 PF, or worrying about where Gary Ablett would play in 2011, then maybe we would have won the 2008 and 2010 flag as well.

Maybe if Bomber focused on his job, and not stealing other players' girlfriend, doing shady property deals, using drugs, making calls to Essendon during the 2010 PF, or worrying about where Gary Ablett would play in 2011, then maybe we would have won the 2008 and 2010 flag as well.
Where have you been?
These posts make complete sense.
I wonder why they are not popular beliefs.
I also agree with you that too many entitled supporters just can't come to terms with our reality.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
That's surprising. You mean they haven't been playing for each other? Isn't that 'How to be a Team Player, 101'?

The bonding + camaraderie - is that from the article, which states that Scott is spending time getting to know his players?

I remember Scott saying last season that he doesn't get involved in the day to day training, leaves it to his assistant coaches. Was surprised to hear him say that + wondered how he knows what's really happening? For example, dear old Parsons, perhaps one of the coaches was a Fan Man?

I would suspect that most senior coaches don't get involved in day-to-day training. That's what they have highly-paid assistants for.

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong

Absolutely disappointed in how Bomber left the Cats and where he’s at right now.

Absolutely grateful to him for leading us to 2 flags. I was convinced I’d never see one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back