AFLW West Coast Eagles Women's Team - Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't we be able sign players from other teams? Brazill is actually from NSW.
Being able to, and actually doing it are different things. Brazill is from NSW, but was living and playing in WA, but is now playing Netball for Collingwood. We would have been a chance to get her 2 years ago, but we are not getting her now.

Having their key midfielders fit and available has helped too.

They’ve had pretty much the same squad bar a few changes here and there since day one, but now they’re playing smart, attacking footy and reaping the rewards. The previous coach had them playing a one dimensional style that kept them bombing into congestion instead of changing lanes and opening up the field of play as they are doing now. They still have yet to debut their top pick from last years draft too.

From the WA State Academy-Female program Facebook page

Congratulations to the following players on their selection in the 2019 WA AFLW 18s Training Squad as part of the first intake.
This is an outstanding achievement and one that should be be seen as an opportunity to work harder than you ever have.
We will be intaking 3 groups to maximise the development potential of individual players.
1. First Intake: Players that have performed well through the Academy Program and form the first part of the Squad
2. Second Intake: Players that have performed well and have yet to meet all standards
3. Third Intake: Players yet to demonstrate certain standards
Players selected in the 1st Intake:
Mikayla Bowen
Rosie Deegan
Emma O'Driscoll
Taylor Pescud
Roxanne Roux
Sarah Verrier
Nyra Anderson
Jacklyn Atkinson
Kia Buckley
Abbey Dowrick
Brianna Hyde
Mikayla Hyde
Mim Strom
Rebecca Viney
Bianca Webb
Madi Yarran

I am not sure all of them are old enough to draft later this year. While its the 18s, the best players usually start appearing in it from 16 or so.
Bowen and Deegan already picked up by the Eagles.

Roxanne Roux looks a likely type as well, new to footy, but very athletic. Abby Dowrick could be better than her sister. The Hyde twins look good, but are tiny, which is a much bigger handicap in AFLW than U18s.

Most of the others I dont really know, so bring on the 18s nationals so we can have a look.

Expansion rules are out. Freo and Lions can lose up to 8 players, and expansion teams can sign a max of 12 players. Vic clubs, Crows and Giants can lose a max of 4. Trade period occuring in April. So we see our team really start to take shape in a month. Will be a difficult 12 months I think. Freo and Eagles will both suffer year one, and the fallout may see the Crows entrenched as a super team.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Watching the AFLW GF atm - those girls are amazing, good skills - the crows girls playing are a sight worth tuning in for. And 46,000 spectators - far out! This why I am looking forward to the Eagles women's team.
Inspiring stuff. 53k+ was the final crowd figure. Not sure how realistic that is, but either way the ground was pretty chockers.
As a long time fan of basketball as well and therefore of Erin Phillips, that was heartbreaking to see her go down. The level of play in the AFLW is improving by the year but she is a level above most, despite transitioning back to footy fairly recently.
Another Grand Final BOG for her, and quite possibly another AFLW Best & Fairest to come, to add to her squillion other achievements. Her resume is ridiculous.

Looking forward to the Eagles finally being a part of the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately ACLs are a major issue in Footy, but particularly in women’s footy. It’s apparently got to do with the way thier hips are, it causes the knees to turn out which gives issues with acls. I know that the top clubs and state teams spend 15-30 minutes doing strength and conditioning exercises before training and as part of warm ups to try to reduce these occurrences.

Unfortunately ACLs are a major issue in Footy, but particularly in women’s footy. It’s apparently got to do with the way thier hips are, it causes the knees to turn out which gives issues with acls. I know that the top clubs and state teams spend 15-30 minutes doing strength and conditioning exercises before training and as part of warm ups to try to reduce these occurrences.
Can confirm this.

My girls are have been invited and now allowed to train with West Perth and I have seen with my own eyes what is happening.

Amazing work going in to try and avoid this, but gee it is really worrying.

Can confirm this.

My girls are have been invited and now allowed to train with West Perth and I have seen with my own eyes what is happening.

Amazing work going in to try and avoid this, but gee it is really worrying.

Congrats on your girls getting a chance to train with a WAWFL club mate. I hope it goes well for them. :)

Congrats on your girls getting a chance to train with a WAWFL club mate. I hope it goes well for them. :)
Mate.

I couldn't be any prouder.

My eldest has been asked to play with the Rogers Cup group this season. She is 15 in December and has played since June 2018....she cant commit however because of athletics (off to Malaysia for comp in July and must train for that on the same day they play...) and we're already committed to our local club....but the experience they are getting now is invaluable...especially for my nearly 13 yr old who is vocal about playing for West Coast.

They've made one hell of an impression on the playing group already, mixing it with much older women who are seasoned football players.

Mate.

I couldn't be any prouder.

My eldest has been asked to play with the Rogers Cup group this season. She is 15 in December and has played since June 2018....she cant commit however because of athletics (off to Malaysia for comp in July and must train for that on the same day they play...) and we're already committed to our local club....but the experience they are getting now is invaluable...especially for my nearly 13 yr old who is vocal about playing for West Coast.

They've made one hell of an impression on the playing group already, mixing it with much older women who are seasoned football players.

That’s really good to hear mate. I do skills and development for all three grades (Rogers Cup, Reserves and League) as well as midfield coach for the league team at one of the WAFL clubs and the enthusiasm of all the girls, but especially the Rogers Cup girls is great to see. Hopefully by the time your youngest is eligible to be picked up by West Coast, we’ll have a female West Coast Egirls Premiership or two to celebrate. :)

That’s really good to hear mate. I do skills and development for all three grades (Rogers Cup, Reserves and League) as well as midfield coach for the league team at one of the WAFL clubs and the enthusiasm of all the girls, but especially the Rogers Cup girls is great to see. Hopefully by the time your youngest is eligible to be picked up by West Coast, we’ll have a female West Coast Egirls Premiership or two to celebrate. :)
Fair chance we'll cross paths?

PM me your WAFL club :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back