Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Scully. Congratulations for finally making it onto an AFL list!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to see Scully tracking along well in his recovery.

Smith, Scully, Henderson and Morrison. Is there room for all four in the best 22? I see no reason why not.

You’ve got Smith and Scully in the starting 18, with Henderson and Morrison coming off the bench. It can work!

With the way the game is played right now we need as many elite runners in the team as possible. Henderson is coming off a career best season and Morrison may play a combination of inside/outside midfield this year.

Spot on. The game is changing, the more runners the better

This guy is so important for our footy club, possibly the most important player on our list considering the Tom Mitchell injury. What is understated is his ability to win inside footy, had Shiel covered in that aspect by a country mile when comparing how many stoppages they attended each.

This guy is so important for our footy club, possibly the most important player on our list considering the Tom Mitchell injury. What is understated is his ability to win inside footy, had Shiel covered in that aspect by a country mile when comparing how many stoppages they attended each.

good to know. do you think his inside days are over though?

https://www.outline.com/j5LRcj

GWS had an important strategy to create about $2 million of salary cap room, and the call to move on Scully helped put the Giants in a position to demand two first-round draft picks for Dylan Shiel from Essendon.
But almost four months into his new life as a Hawk, there is growing optimism at Waverley this exchange is going to be more boom, than bust for the brown and gold.
In fact, the Hawks could yet hit the trade jackpot, once again.

If Scully even plays close to his best we then have two genuine elite wingmen who can average 20 disposals and 1 goal per game. With some support coming from Henderson off the bench as well. :D

If Scully even plays close to his best we then have two genuine elite wingmen who can average 20 disposals and 1 goal per game. With some support coming from Henderson off the bench as well. :D

Clarko will make Scully into a key backman.

Smitty averaged 21.8 disposals & 1.1 goals per game in 2018. Hendo did 20 disp & .5 goals. In 2017, Scully averaged 23 disposals & .6 goals per game.

Having all 3x in the team will make it impossible to tag. When up & running, I'd not be surprised if they average close to 70 possessions & 3 goals a game (between them).

https://www.outline.com/j5LRcj

GWS had an important strategy to create about $2 million of salary cap room, and the call to move on Scully helped put the Giants in a position to demand two first-round draft picks for Dylan Shiel from Essendon.
But almost four months into his new life as a Hawk, there is growing optimism at Waverley this exchange is going to be more boom, than bust for the brown and gold.
In fact, the Hawks could yet hit the trade jackpot, once again.
Would be hilarious if Scully managed to get back early and ended up with an AA spot ahead of Shiel this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a s**t article.
My problem is the assertion we "moved him on". With 3 years left on his contract we actually had no leverage to do that. He could decline any proposed trade, without being unreasonable.

He had to decide he wanted to go and to which club.

Compare it with Finlayson who signed a 3 year extn last year and in his case the club did suggest he look around. He apparently met with North but in the end did not propose a move anywhere. He simply stays as per his contract, and hopefully works hard on his weaknesses.

My problem is the assertion we "moved him on". With 3 years left on his contract we actually had no leverage to do that. He could decline any proposed trade, without being unreasonable.

He had to decide he wanted to go and to which club.

Compare it with Finlayson who signed a 3 year extn last year and in his case the club did suggest he look around. He apparently met with North but in the end did not propose a move anywhere. He simply stays as per his contract, and hopefully works hard on his weaknesses.
Yep correct. Considering most itk knew of Scully’s intentions few weeks out from the end of the season, it was definitely Toms call.

Yep correct. Considering most itk knew of Scully’s intentions few weeks out from the end of the season, it was definitely Toms call.
I must have missed that memo because I was certainly shocked. I wonder if Shiel had something to do with it. I also note he married in the off season and it might have been where to sink roots.

Whatever it's done though, and he wasn't pushed.

AFL MUST INVESTIGATE!!!
And simply must come back with adverse findings.

What would silly Cornes say if the AFL did investigate & found the process to have been correctly followed?

Maybe get Bruce Francis on board & take it to Court?!

"GWS had an important strategy to create about $2 million of salary cap room"
Eerrrr cap room?
No sorry, Scully (and Shiel) deals were a result of GWS seeking cap relief to avoid the penalties of being over budget.
Cap room is when you're under budget and possibly looking to accommodate additional players.

I'm hopeful we will see him play 10 games or so this season that builds confidence for 2020, I don't see us doing much this season anyways so no point rushing it.

I'm hopeful we will see him play 10 games or so this season that builds confidence for 2020, I don't see us doing much this season anyways so no point rushing it.
So treat him as a proper listed player in 2020 along with Mitchell and Coniglio... yeah, not too shabby. I still want more 'INs'. Who else can we get?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back