Ladder conference farce

Remove this Banner Ad

it's only half time in the Brisbane v Melbourne game but at 40 pt margin I'm comfortable to call that a Melbourne win

So we do have a collective 12 wins in Group A, and collective 3 wins in Group B (those three wins being inter-group B matches)

Carlton are going to be topping Group B with a 1-2 86%

Western Bulldogs will be 5th in Group A with 2-1 86%

Adelaide will be 4th with 2-1 141%

If Crows lose to Freo next week, their season is pretty much done, while even the winless Collingwood and GWS are only a game off a semi final birth at this stage
It’s a joke the way the AFLW is.... Should only be 1 conference and every team plays each team! Teams that don’t play Collingwood are at a huge % disadvantage.

For all the talk about it, there really isn't enough info so far to confidently say the best 4 sides won't play finals, especially if you grant the outlandish possibility that even good teams have off days.

What if the best 4 teams are actually:
North
Adelaide (beat Carlton and Geelong, kicked inaccurately vs Bulldogs)
Carlton (lost to North and Adelaide, beat GWS)
GWS (lost to North and Carlton, had a two-point Round 1 loss to Brisbane in the wet)

Sure the AFL will be lucky if it turns out that way. But at this point nobody truly knows if there's a huge conference strength mismatch, even though it's fun to pretend.

There is no way 3 of the 5 best teams North, Fremantle, Melbourne,Adelaide,Doggies will be playing finals,yet 2 teams with inferior records and get defeated easily by the above 5 teams will qualify for finals.

There is no way 3 of the 5 best teams North, Fremantle, Melbourne,Adelaide,Doggies will be playing finals,yet 2 teams with inferior records and get defeated easily by the above 5 teams will qualify for finals.
Let’s not get carried away. Adelaide did not beat Carlton easily, Carlton where up by 3 goals with a few min to go in the 3rd and fell apart, to lose by 2 goals.

That wasn’t an easy win for Adelaide.

I do agree that the conferences hasn’t worked out at all, it’s a debacle, but Adelaide isn’t massively better than Carlton & no where near NM or Freo as well.

The top of B, has been smashed by North (everyone has), had a tight game against Adelaide and lead it for most of the day and then smashed the only opponent they have played in their own conference, a very different picture may be painted at the end of the season if that form holds and are 4-3 or 5-2 at the end of the season.

Meanwhile Adelaide has played NEITHER of the two teams that are clearly the best in the comp and will probably end on 4-3

Last edited:
Even if ADL finish at 4W-3L and not playing the 2 worst teams in the other conference Collingwood and Brisbane.... We will still have a better % and record than the other Conference!

Too hard for you to figure out?

what's the rush to squeeze AFLW in between the men's cricket and men's AFL seasons?

The girls go off to play VFLW and other comps, shouldn't we be aiming to have the best players play AFLW and the next tier playing VFLW etc?

Why can't the AFLW be 9 or 18 rounds? Last time I checked the AFLW tends to not play at AFL venues.

Even if ADL finish at 4W-3L and not playing the 2 worst teams in the other conference Collingwood and Brisbane.... We will still have a better % and record than the other Conference!

Too hard for you to figure out?
That’s an assumption, you don’t know that.

Is that too hard for you to figure out?

I was also referring to your comment that Adelaide can easily beat anyone in the other group. I see you moved away from that statement though and made a different point

AFL Women’s have been a little unlucky here;

Based on last year; (last years position at end of year)
Conference A
WB (1st)
Melbourne (3rd)
Adelaide (5th)
Freo (7th)

Conference B
Brisbane (2nd)
GWS (4th)
Collingwood (6th)
Carlton (8th)

Conference A average finishing position last year - 4th
Conference B average finishing position last year - 5th

That’s about as even as it could have been.

Favourites going into the season (bookies)
GWS - Conference B (2nd last)
North - Conference A (1st)

Least Favourite
Fremantle - Conference A (2nd)
Carlton - Conference B (1st)

Bookies have been wrong & last years form hasn’t held.

*Please note Geelong & North excludes from averages as not in comp last year

That’s an assumption, you don’t know that.

Is that too hard for you to figure out?

I was also referring to your comment that Adelaide can easily beat anyone in the other group. I see you moved away from that statement though and made a different point

So If Adelaide Finish Last At 4-3
In conference A and Carlton finish 1st AT 4-3 in conference B and keep in mind we beat Carlton on your home ground does that seem fair?

Seems like any other sport or tie breaker Adelaide would get the nod!

So If Adelaide Finish Last At 4-3
In conference A and Carlton finish 1st AT 4-3 in conference B and keep in mind we beat Carlton on your home ground does that seem fair?

Seems like any other sport or tie breaker Adelaide would get the nod!
Well it’s less fair for the two teams in conference A that finished above them that didn’t make the finals than Adelaide.

In your scenario Adelaide is finishing last or 5th in the group, but complaining they didn’t make the finals when 4 teams do. How does that make sense?

So no Adelaide wouldn’t get the knod in a tiebreaker, the 2 teams above them that missed out in their own conference would.

Again just using your scenario where you say Adelaide finishes last in conference A

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Women’s have been a little unlucky here;

Based on last year; (last years position at end of year)
Conference A
WB (1st)
Melbourne (3rd)
Adelaide (5th)
Freo (7th)

Conference B
Brisbane (2nd)
GWS (4th)
Collingwood (6th)
Carlton (8th)

Conference A average finishing position last year - 4th
Conference B average finishing position last year - 5th

That’s about as even as it could have been.

Favourites going into the season (bookies)
GWS - Conference B (2nd last)
North - Conference A (1st)

Least Favourite
Fremantle - Conference A (2nd)
Carlton - Conference B (1st)

Bookies have been wrong & last years form hasn’t held.

*Please note Geelong & North excludes from averages as not in comp last year

They haven't been that unlucky, they failed to understand the concept of a snake order, which should have been incredibly obvious.

Conference 1
WB (1st)
GWS (4th)
Adelaide (5th)
Carlton (8th)
North Melbourne

Conference 2
Brisbane (2nd)
Melbourne (3rd)
Collingwood (6th)
Fremantle (7th)
Geelong

They got unlucky with North being the best side in it but this is how it should have been split, which would have mitigated some of the problem.
I think they just wanted Carlton and Collingwood in the same conference.

Agreed. So you have 1, 3 and 5 from last year as well as the new team North Melbourne that was expected to hit the ground running.

But weren’t the groups set up based on geography? So Adelaide and Freo in one group and Brisbane and GWS in another? Even still that would leave flexibility with the Vic clubs as to which conference to add them to.

The Conferences could have been:
1-WB, 4-GWS, 5-AD, 8-CA, +NM/GE
2-BR, 3-ME, 6-CO, 7-FR, +GE/NM

Or if you want to keep BR+GWS and AD+FR together, swap 5/8 and 6/7:
1-WB, 4-GWS, 6-CO, 7-FR, +NM/GE
2-BR, 3-ME, 5-AD, 8-CA, +GE/NM

At least those conferences are fairer based on 2018 results.

Last edited:
They haven't been that unlucky, they failed to understand the concept of a snake order, which should have been incredibly obvious.

Conference 1
WB (1st)
GWS (4th)
Adelaide (5th)
Carlton (8th)
North Melbourne

Conference 2
Brisbane (2nd)
Melbourne (3rd)
Collingwood (6th)
Fremantle (7th)
Geelong

They got unlucky with North being the best side in it but this is how it should have been split, which would have mitigated some of the problem.
Ha, I said almost the same thing over on our board this morning:
Doing the conferences based on the previous year's 1-3-5-7 and 2-4-6-8 was dumb. It makes the first one stronger without question. And then they put the more highly rated expansion team in the same one. Should have done something like 1-4-5-8 and 2-3-6-7.

Of course they wanted Carlton and Collingwood in the same conference, they would have also wanted Adelaide & Freo in the same conference, plus GWS & Brisbane in the same conference, so they split it as best they could based on last years ladder (1,3,5,7 & 2,4,6,8), marketing is important in sport. Clearly Geelong & North was a big mistake, but it’s possible that’s because of the way they wanted the conferences to look like when there are 18 teams

It’s basically guaranteed if conferences are used next year;
West Coast - conference A (because of Freo)
GC - conference B (because of Brisbane)
Richmond conference B (because of Collingwood & Carlton)
St Kilda - conference A (because it’s the last spot left)

Then eventually
Port - A, because of Adelaide
Sydney - B, because of GWS
Hawthorn & Essendon could go in either.

One things for sure the AFL will be thrilled we are all talking about AFLW, but won’t like the reason.

I don’t like conferences, but I think it’s likely to stay for the women and I wouldn’t be surprised if in 10 years we have them for the men, but the AFL has discovered the biggest issue, if you have crossovers & low number of team in each conference your in trouble, for the women this will sort itself as more teams are added, but every year you are going to have 1 conference better than the other (look at any sport with a conference system)

Compare the AFLW with US sports. There was no justification to have conferences for 10 teams playing 7 games.

AFLW: 7 games, 10 teams, 2 conferences
---------------------------------------------------------------
NFL: 16 games, 32 teams, 2 conferences, 8 divisions
NBA: 82 games, 30 teams, 2 conferences
NHL: 82 games, 31 teams, 2 conferences, 4 divisions
MLB: 162 games, 30 teams, 2 conferences, 6 divisions

Have there been any murmurs about season structure for the 14 teams in 2020?

I imagine they will have 2 conferences of 7 teams.

Is there a AFLW Ladder Predictor Because looking at it this moment,I believe at the end of the year it will look like this.

NM
Freo
Melb
Adl
WB
Car
Bri
Gee
GWS
Col

Don’t think I’d be off much.

Compare the AFLW with US sports. There was no justification to have conferences for 10 teams playing 7 games.

AFLW: 7 games, 10 teams, 2 conferences
---------------------------------------------------------------
NFL: 16 games, 32 teams, 2 conferences, 8 divisions
NBA: 82 games, 30 teams, 2 conferences
NHL: 82 games, 31 teams, 2 conferences, 4 divisions
MLB: 162 games, 30 teams, 2 conferences, 6 divisions

NHL will be easier to schedule next season when Seattle joins the Pacific division leaving equal number of teams in each conference and divisions.

AFL backing controversial AFLW conference system but Bulldogs boss says split was wrong from start

“Everybody knew that two teams would go through from each conference … if you can’t be in the top two of your conference, are you the best team?

“People need to get their heads around the conferences.

https://outline.com/Yh5xVG

2019 was always going to be a s**t year for AFLW. It's just a shame that given the enforced restrictions of a 9 week season, they have managed to make some terrible and needless decisions. One conference is better than two, but with two, you need to ensure to the best of your ability that the two groups will be equal. Of course you cannot realistically predict the form of teams from 2018, nor the two new teams, and a wildcard system would have helped to somewhat alleviate any inequity between the conferences.

Anyway, there is no way A1 will lose to B2 so it's certain that the team that wins Conference A will make the grand final.

The team that is going to feel aggrieved is the 3rd-placed team in Conference A. They should have at least been given a chance to make a grand final.

With A1-NM v A3-ME and A2-FR v A4-AD this weekend, top two in Conference A could be settled by Sunday, and they would still have more points and a higher percentage than the Conference B leader.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back