Analysis Best & worst top 10 draft picks per draft number

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah.
Nick Riewoldt all day every day.

Without the team success Hodge would be considered a good player, not a great.

Hodge is great future hall of Famer and would of been great if he played for carlton, fitzroy you name it.

Splitting hairs with the all time greats.

This is off topic I will throw up and name who if picked at no.1 would rival riewoldt that's matthew pavlich another incredible athlete just throwing it out there I'm not sure how to split those 2

All you jokers putting j Kennedy in before Pavlich are having a laugh arent you?
I’ll think you’ll find 18 clubs would pick Pavlich every day of the week and twice on Sunday at pick 4 over JK

Yeah forget riewoldt hodge

Pavlich over J.Kennedy everyday of every week

Hodge is great future hall of Famer and would of been great if he played for carlton, fitzroy you name it.

Splitting hairs with the all time greats.

This is off topic I will throw up and name who if picked at no.1 would rival riewoldt that's matthew pavlich another incredible athlete just throwing it out there I'm not sure how to split those 2

But riewoldts actual playing performances and consistency mean he will always be ahead of Hodge in a purely playing sense.

Team success meant Hodge's legacy is at a different level than it would've been had he been at Carlton.

But riewoldts actual playing performances and consistency mean he will always be ahead of Hodge in a purely playing sense.

Team success meant Hodge's legacy is at a different level than it would've been had he been at Carlton.

Yeah I saw this argument all throughout this thread I get it. I don't agree with it maybe Judd and Hodge drag carlton to a grand final I don't know champion players do things like this. Hodge might have won a brownlow at carlton who is taking votes off him early his 2005 season was incredible but it's a stupid argument because well it never happened!

Personally if i had the no.1 pick and i was choosing between hodge and riewoldt i wouldn't care who i got happily flip a coin. I'm not concerned with Hodges finals legacy or team success compared to riewoldts so called pure extra ability and consistency it's really in the eye of the beholder.

Those 2 are clearly by far and away the best two no.1s so far EVER! End of story you can't tell me riewoldt is just purely better than hodge it's just not the case. The Micheal Jordan and Lebron debate oh jordan is better because he is a winner. No lebron is better because statistically he is far superior. Thats what this is because we are confined to a small group of players that generally don't get grouped together other than the no.1 pick category.

For me it's splitting hairs because they are completely different players with different roles to respective teams. Both champions and future hall of famers. I will leave it at that I'm content neither was perfect both had different strengths and weaknesses.

St kilda had chances to win anyway they could not covert nick riewoldt could easily have two flags in his back pocket. 2009 they lost 2 games for the year and a grand final by a kick. Drew in 2010 because of a bad bounce and flogged in a rematch.

20-2 season in 2009 so it's not like oh they were just no good like " carlton " was your reference played in 2 grand finals. So we are in point scoring territory argument mode.

Hodge literally won hawthorn a flag I watched him do it in 2008. So you can't take it away from him either. I'm going to remember incredible acts on the biggest stage when your not the favourite to win.

Lots will have riewoldt some will have hodge but it's in the eye of the beholder it's nowhere near a far gone conclusion.

Hodge is the only pick 1 that didnt go to a basket case team.
Hawthorn had just played finals that year.

If success is part of the comparisons then Boyd must rate high as he was significant in helping the Bulldogs to their 1st flag in 60

Hope Carlton finish bottom and would be happy with either one this year but I'd go Hodge as he had that unique big moment ability which is rare and precious.

Taking out the players who never played a game, you'd have to say that Ryley Dunn was the worst No. 10 pick since draft's inception.

As for the best, Prestigiacomo vs McPharlin vs Dangerfield vs Caracella vs Davis vs Nathan G. Brown vs McGuinness is a worthy discussion point.

McKay, Blakey, O'Brien and Bowes are just getting started.

Full list here from draftguru.com.au.

Yeah I saw this argument all throughout this thread I get it. I don't agree with it maybe Judd and Hodge drag carlton to a grand final I don't know champion players do things like this. Hodge might have won a brownlow at carlton who is taking votes off him early his 2005 season was incredible but it's a stupid argument because well it never happened!

Personally if i had the no.1 pick and i was choosing between hodge and riewoldt i wouldn't care who i got happily flip a coin. I'm not concerned with Hodges finals legacy or team success compared to riewoldts so called pure extra ability and consistency it's really in the eye of the beholder.

Those 2 are clearly by far and away the best two no.1s so far EVER! End of story you can't tell me riewoldt is just purely better than hodge it's just not the case. The Micheal Jordan and Lebron debate oh jordan is better because he is a winner. No lebron is better because statistically he is far superior. Thats what this is because we are confined to a small group of players that generally don't get grouped together other than the no.1 pick category.

For me it's splitting hairs because they are completely different players with different roles to respective teams. Both champions and future hall of famers. I will leave it at that I'm content neither was perfect both had different strengths and weaknesses.

St kilda had chances to win anyway they could not covert nick riewoldt could easily have two flags in his back pocket. 2009 they lost 2 games for the year and a grand final by a kick. Drew in 2010 because of a bad bounce and flogged in a rematch.

20-2 season in 2009 so it's not like oh they were just no good like " carlton " was your reference played in 2 grand finals. So we are in point scoring territory argument mode.

Hodge literally won hawthorn a flag I watched him do it in 2008. So you can't take it away from him either. I'm going to remember incredible acts on the biggest stage when your not the favourite to win.

Lots will have riewoldt some will have hodge but it's in the eye of the beholder it's nowhere near a far gone conclusion.

Another point for Riewoldt is he plays a tougher position, and also one that is harder to find quality in.
Hodge has the ability to play all over the ground though which is another point in his direction.

Give me both please.

Taking out the players who never played a game, you'd have to say that Ryley Dunn was the worst No. 10 pick since draft's inception.

As for the best, Prestigiacomo vs McPharlin vs Dangerfield vs Caracella vs Davis vs Nathan G. Brown vs McGuinness is a worthy discussion point.

I think Danger wins that already in his career.
Other than a flag, hes done it all.

Maybe a good discussion for second place out of the pick 10s, Redman. Danger wins that heat by a few lengths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I'd start a thread to pick the all time best and worst top 10 draft picks. This is based on the best player selected at a given pick across every single draft (i.e. best #1 pick, worst #2 pick etc). Interested to see everyone's take. My best and worst is based from the point I started watching footy (circa 1993)

Best Top 10:
#1 - Nick Riewoldt (2000)
#2 - Jarryd Roughead (2004)
#3 - Chris Judd (2001)
#4 - Matthew Pavlich (1999)
#5 - Lance Franklin (2004)
#6 - Chad Wingard (2011)
#7 - Joel Selwood (2006)
#8 - Jimmy Bartel (2001)
#9 - Chad Cornes (1997)
#10 - Patrick Dangerfield (2007)

Worst Top 10:
#1 - McCartin (2014)
#2 - Gumbleton (2006)
#3 - Fewster (1995)
#4 - Walsh (2002)
#5 - McDougall (2000)
#6 - Thorp (2006)
#7 - Angwin (2000)
#8 - Oakley-Nicholls (2005)
#9 - Molan (2001)
#10 - Dunn (2003)

My take is that pick 5 stands out as historically having the best strike rate in the top 10. So many superstars. Easily could come up with a best 22 of only pick 5's. Pick 6 has typically had a lower strike rate but the few standouts at this pick such as Winged, Macrae and Stephenson if he continues his promising start.

My worst 10 is based on output relative to others. The talent may not have been lacking but due to various factors such as recurring injuries, behavioural issues and unfulfilled potential, they have been included on this list. Pick 1 has not had any real spuds during my time watching footy. Their standing is based on relativity to others who have surpassed the number 1 pick. Paddy still has time on his side but I am basing it on output up until this point in time. He has talent but has been impacted by repeated concussion issues, various injuries and inconsistency in form.

What pick did Richmond use on Tambling instead of picking Franklin?

4?

Gotta be one of the biggest mistakes in drafting history.

Wow, pick 6 really is cursed. Yet to produce a 200 gamer and only two All Australian guernseys (both held by Wingard).
Macrae and Wingard look good for the former though.

Which world would you like to start with...
A world that values players that can own any position in AFL football?
A world that values players that can make an immediate impact in their debut season?
A world that values captaining flag winning teams?
A world that values the most influential players in GFs?
There's no doubt that Hodge deserves #1 ranking more than Riewoldt!

Tell me when Hodge has owned a position other than loose across half back.

Hodge is a great. But your first comment is fantasy land stuff.

Also, Tom Harley is a premiership captain, does that mean he is better than Luke McPharlin?

Riewoldt won the MVP in his fourth season, leading his team to a kick short of a GF berth, so let's no get carried away by Hodge's immediate impact over Riewoldt's.

Shaun Hart has more Norm Smiths than Michael Voss, does that make him a better player?

So what makes you think that yours isn't? Hodge earned #1 selection in the draft as a FF and had played that position as a Hawk but unfortunately can't play every position on the field at the same time, so that makes it that he's played as a KPF, KPD, Mid and Flanks in his career at Hawks.
Also, Tom Harley is a premiership captain, does that mean he is better than Luke McPharlin
And why would you assume that he isn't when he was a part of one of the best defenses in history!
Riewoldt won the MVP in his fourth season, leading his team to a kick short of a GF berth, so let's no get carried away by Hodge's immediate impact over Riewoldt's.
Riewoldt was a ghost in his first 2 seasons, so yes let's get carried away with that!
Shaun Hart has more Norm Smiths than Michael Voss, does that make him a better player?
It does when performance matters the most!

Last edited:
So what makes you think that yours isn't? Hodge earned #1 selection in the draft as a FF and had played that position as a Hawk but unfortunately can't play every position on the field, so that makes it that he's played as a KPF, KPD, Mid and Flanks in his career at Hawks.

And why would you assume that he isn't when he was a part of one of the best defenses in history!

Riewoldt was a ghost in his first 2 seasons, so yes let's assume that!

It does when performance matters the most!

By virtue of your last comment your opinions are absurd but for the sake of argument, let's contest your other positions.

So playing in a position at u18 level equates to owning a position at AFL level? Is that your argument? At no point has Hodge owned a position at AFL level other than as half back flanker and to a lesser extent as a midfielder. I see that now your argument is not that he has owned a position, but that he has played a position... Ignoring the fact that Riewoldt has played as a wingman, CHB, CHF.

Again, anyone who thinks that Tom Harley is better than Luke McPharlin has an opinion worth less than a grain of sand.

Hodge averaged 15 possessions in his first season, 12 in his second and 15 in his third. The Hawthorn recruiter was sacked because of concern about Hodge's ability compared to Judd and Ball. I'm not sure where you are getting your information from.

By virtue of your last comment your opinions are absurd but for the sake of argument, let's contest your other positions.
So playing in a position at u18 level equates to owning a position at AFL level? Is that your argument? At no point has Hodge owned a position at AFL level other than as half back flanker and to a lesser extent as a midfielder. I see that now your argument is not that he has owned a position, but that he has played a position... Ignoring the fact that Riewoldt has played as a wingman, CHB, CHF.
Hodge averaged 15 possessions in his first season, 12 in his second and 15 in his third. The Hawthorn recruiter was sacked because of concern about Hodge's ability compared to Judd and Ball. I'm not sure where you are getting your information from.
LOL the question that you are raising to undermine my comments is what defines 'owning' a position. All these opinions are subjective so why would I need to waste my time arguing with you when you talk about the virtue of my comment and then generalize with your own like this:
Again, anyone who thinks that Tom Harley is better than Luke McPharlin has an opinion worth less than a grain of sand.

LOL the question that you are raising to undermine my comments is what defines 'owning' a position. All these opinions are subjective so why would I need to waste my time arguing with you when you talk about the virtue of my comment and then generalize with your own like this:

Swing and a miss mate.

Also, Tom Harley is a premiership captain, does that mean he is better than Luke McPharlin?

I think Roo is the better player out of Hodge/Roo but Hodge spent quite a few years roaming through the midfield and collected an AA strip in there I think.

Thought I'd start a thread to pick the all time best and worst top 10 draft picks. This is based on the best player selected at a given pick across every single draft (i.e. best #1 pick, worst #2 pick etc). Interested to see everyone's take. My best and worst is based from the point I started watching footy (circa 1993)

Best Top 10:
#1 - Nick Riewoldt (2000)
#2 - Jarryd Roughead (2004)
#3 - Chris Judd (2001)
#4 - Matthew Pavlich (1999)
#5 - Lance Franklin (2004)
#6 - Chad Wingard (2011)
#7 - Joel Selwood (2006)
#8 - Jimmy Bartel (2001)
#9 - Chad Cornes (1997)
#10 - Patrick Dangerfield (2007)

Worst Top 10:
#1 - McCartin (2014)
#2 - Gumbleton (2006)
#3 - Fewster (1995)
#4 - Walsh (2002)
#5 - McDougall (2000)
#6 - Thorp (2006)
#7 - Angwin (2000)
#8 - Oakley-Nicholls (2005)
#9 - Molan (2001)
#10 - Dunn (2003)

My take is that pick 5 stands out as historically having the best strike rate in the top 10. So many superstars. Easily could come up with a best 22 of only pick 5's. Pick 6 has typically had a lower strike rate but the few standouts at this pick such as Winged, Macrae and Stephenson if he continues his promising start.

My worst 10 is based on output relative to others. The talent may not have been lacking but due to various factors such as recurring injuries, behavioural issues and unfulfilled potential, they have been included on this list. Pick 1 has not had any real spuds during my time watching footy. Their standing is based on relativity to others who have surpassed the number 1 pick. Paddy still has time on his side but I am basing it on output up until this point in time. He has talent but has been impacted by repeated concussion issues, various injuries and inconsistency in form.
Not sure how you could have Dunn in there over Nathan Freeman at number 10!

I think Roo is the better player out of Hodge/Roo but Hodge spent quite a few years roaming through the midfield and collected an AA strip in there I think.

Not denying he played midfield and to a pretty high standard. I'm arguing the definition of whether he owned any position other than half back.

I'm not an expert on his early years in midfield, but to my understanding it's debateable that he ever "owned" the position as midfielder. But perhaps winning an AA in a position is reason enough to argue "owning" a position.

Tim Walsh, Bulldogs.

Career stats: 1 game, 1 kick, 1 goal.

Toumpas was ruined by injury, I have sympathy for him. He's a way better footballer than Tim Walsh ever was.

Why's toumpas get an exemption from injury, Walsh suffered many more and worse.

Also to the tigers fan, if trengroves injury didn't effect his ability than neither did it to Nathan Foley/Brown or Coughlan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back