Game Day Port Adelaide FC 2019 Intra-Club

Who will crush their enemies, see them driven before them and hear the lamentation of the women?

• Total voters

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Dougsl will improve. It is the year after the year of his return. Given how he travelled in 2018, I expect him to do really well in 2019.

ahahaha I just realised I typed "foot face" and I giggled out loud at work.

Disappointed no one has caught it yet

"Foot Face.....who's Foot Face? I demand that you show me Foot Face"

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
how we go this year is unfortunately on the shoulders of the youngsters.
If a few can step up from the start, if some of the season or 2 players can take a step up again, if our mid 20s can become elite....

I cant see any better from the likes of ebert, boak, gray, westhoff, jonas, ryder, lycett, motlop, rockliff, watts, dixon, sgray etc. i think you have seen what they can do, i cant see any, maybe rockliff, improving on last year.

so to make the 8 its all on the youngsters

how we go this year is unfortunately on the shoulders of the youngsters. If a few can step up from the start, if some of the season or 2 players can take a step up again, if our mid 20s can become elite....

I cant see any better from the likes of ebert, boak, gray, westhoff, jonas, ryder, lycett, motlop, rockliff, watts, dixon, sgray etc. i think you have seen what they can do, i cant see any, maybe rockliff, improving on last year.

It's always about how good your bottom 6 players are, as to how far you can advance, so the youngsters are inevitably always a key component. Even Geelong in 2007 had 8 players 23.x years old or younger on grand final day.

Sleezy

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If a few can step up from the start, if some of the season or 2 players can take a step up again, if our mid 20s can become elite....

Improvement from senior players 2018 to 2019:

Swap Boak & Ebert
Ebert: from ineffectual, slow mid to marking, goal kicking HFF (+1 goal & +1 goal assist per game)
Boak: from high intensity, low impact HFF to clearance winning mid (+3 clearances/game)

Add Lycett:
Dixon never rucks again (+1.5 goals/1 goal assist per game)
Ryder stays fit (+5-8 clearances/game)
Watts/Marshall as third tall (+1 goal/game)

Even if the others maintain their level, that makes up for the loss of Wingard & Polec.

Personally, I think Rockliff, Motlop, SPP, Burton, Liebert, Howard and Marshall will all step up and make big steps this year.

There is reason for positivity.

I think Dougsl will improve. It is the year after the year of his return. Given how he travelled in 2018, I expect him to do really well in 2019.

It hasn't been discussed much given how much went wrong elsewhere, but Dougal was a slight disappointment last year. Made such a good comeback in the back end of 2017, started 2018 in really good form, but just couldn't quite carry through with it as the season went on.

It's a big year for him. We know how much potential he has. Time to fully realise it.

It hasn't been discussed much given how much went wrong elsewhere, but Dougal was a slight disappointment last year. Made such a good comeback in the back end of 2017, started 2018 in really good form, but just couldn't quite carry through with it as the season went on.

It's a big year for him. We know how much potential he has. Time to fully realise it.
Champion Data moved him from below average for his position in 2017 to above average in 2018 and of the 8 players rated as above average or elite (only Robbie) he is the only one under 28 on our list.

If that is a slight disappointment year, then bring on an exceptional year.

Rocky moved better at the intra club game than he did all last year. Surely there will be big improvement from him.
By all accounts SPP is in for a great year and we will get so much benefit from having Lycett.

I can see a better year coming in 2019.

Rocky is about 3 months ahead in terms of conditioning and readiness for the season than he was this time last year.

Last edited:

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I disagree, but only in part.

Rockliff has a really bad year with us, so him getting back to his Bris best in a massive improvement on his last year. Motlop can probably have a slight improvement on last year, mainly though consistency. Watts, I think has more to give, with the right attitude and role.

Getting 22 games out of Ryder is a big gain over last year, even if it’s not to the level of 2017. But hopefully it is.

Hopefully Hartlett returns in the form he was in.

But generally it will be down to the young guys to step up. Marshall, SPP, Howard, Bonner, Burton, Houston and Hopefully Farrel, Rozee with the some of the other young guys hopefully able to fill in when they are needed. Atley, Drew, Patmore, Duursma, Butters, Garner, Woodcock.

The addition of Lycett should also make us stronger.

I also think there is definitely room for Dixon to improve, if love to see how Charlie goes up forward when we have fast, direct (not bombed on his head) I50 and repeat entries and he isn’t getting double teamed back douse we have Marshall and Ryder as forward options aswell. It should make all 3 of them much more dangerous. Same can be said about Gray when he’s foward as well.

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The moment for me was seeing Butters get flattened by Big Billy, before getting up and shoving him. Billy then proceeded to hit Pudney unfairly late, and then finally about 2 minutes later when Billy had the ball, Butters put 100% into trying to square up and knock Billy over.

Butters ran 30m full tilt, lined him up for the bump and smashed into him. You could literally see Butters eyes light up when he realised here was his opportunity for a square up. He gave Billy a bit of lip after the bump too. Loved it. The good old fashioned square up.

I just loved that attitude. Nearly the smallest guy on the park, saying to the biggest guy I'm not going to take that s**t and trying to smash him back.
This single post has generated the most excitement from me in last 6 months

I really liked Duursma's game. He seemed to play a lot on the grandstand wing where I was standing so I saw a fair bit of his play up close. He is tall, athletic, has good spring in his legs and seems to have bulked up perfectly in a pre-season.

His decision-making and ball movement seemed quick and decisive to me. That was a criticism I had heard about him but he didn't seem hesitant or indecisive at all.

The coaches at the member's convention talked about the amount of classroom education going into the players, so I assume they have put some work into quickening player's mental reflexes during a game.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I disagree, but only in part.

Rockliff has a really bad year with us, so him getting back to his Bris best in a massive improvement on his last year. Motlop can probably have a slight improvement on last year, mainly though consistency. Watts, I think has more to give, with the right attitude and role.

Getting 22 games out of Ryder is a big gain over last year, even if it’s not to the level of 2017. But hopefully it is.

Hopefully Hartlett returns in the form he was in.

But generally it will be down to the young guys to step up. Marshall, SPP, Howard, Bonner, Burton, Houston and Hopefully Farrel, Rozee with the some of the other young guys hopefully able to fill in when they are needed. Atley, Drew, Patmore, Duursma, Butters, Garner, Woodcock.

The addition of Lycett should also make us stronger.

I also think there is definitely room for Dixon to improve, if love to see how Charlie goes up forward when we have fast, direct (not bombed on his head) I50 and repeat entries and he isn’t getting double teamed back douse we have Marshall and Ryder as forward options aswell. It should make all 3 of them much more dangerous. Same can be said about Gray when he’s foward as well.
If Dixon doesn't improve he may find himself out of the side in my opinion, i thought he was a massive let down last year.

Ryder and Dixon went 1 and 2 in our B & F in 2017 but neither had a real impact in 2018.

And there weren't too many senior players that actually had really good years last year besides Westhoff and Gray so i definitely think there is plenty of room for improvement.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Dixon doesn't improve he may find himself out of the side in my opinion, i thought he was a massive let down last year.

Ryder and Dixon went 1 and 2 in our B & F in 2017 but neither had a real impact in 2018.

And there weren't too many senior players that actually had really good years last year besides Westhoff and Gray so i definitely think there is plenty of room for improvement.
I reckon both were victims! Ryder a victim to stupidity of selections by playing him injured, and Dixon to the dumb game plan and the bomb-it-to-Dixon mentality of the players.

Sadly he is going to have a slow start to the season too, so that's a negative for him in 2019. Ryder is looking good though.

I really liked Duursma's game. He seemed to play a lot on the grandstand wing where I was standing so I saw a fair bit of his play up close. He is tall, athletic, has good spring in his legs and seems to have bulked up perfectly in a pre-season.

His decision-making and ball movement seemed quick and decisive to me. That was a criticism I had heard about him but he didn't seem hesitant or indecisive at all.

The coaches at the member's convention talked about the amount of classroom education going into the players, so I assume they have put some work into quickening player's mental reflexes during a game.

Took a number of great intercepts.

When it came to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women, Lycett was the man. He dominated his opponents. While it was only sanfl ruckmen in Frampton and Ladhams he just looked so physically commanding and confident that you feel like he is ready to step up.

Wasn't there great gnashing of teeth on draft day when Duursma was picked?? Seems like he's brought a few people round based on reading this thread...
Some gnashing of teeth and some embarrassing tantrums, yes.

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets

Pretty harsh considering he was Runner up in the B&F the year prior and we flogged him Out of position for the first half of the year in 2018.

I think if we had Dixon and Ryder rotating between FF and CHF we would be a far better team! I would love ya to be super brave this year and Park one of these two 30 meters out, play the other as a genuine hit up CHF and Robbie/Brad our of the Goal Square, be brave and play a Small at either of their feet and Marshall as the third y’all Forward.

Worth mentioning that at the insider day Ryder said "body feels great. To remember that this time last year I was limping already - it feels good to be fit again."

He did drop there was a "hiccup" just after Christmas but didn't specify what.

Back