Mid-Price Madness....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McGrath, very very tempting. Solid JLT could get him into my side. Not much trust in the backline premos.
Can I ask why lack of trust in backline premos?
Personally hesitant to spend 570-600k on more than 1 of them(Laird, Lloyd Sicily, Simpson) if any. I want a 105 average for that outlay, if you spend that on a mid you want 105 minimum, aiming for 110-115. That doesn't change just cos they are defenders.
But it's not that I don't trust them, just think they're more likely to go 100 maximum than 105+,so no value at all.
Just keen to get your thoughts.

Personally hesitant to spend 570-600k on more than 1 of them(Laird, Lloyd Sicily, Simpson) if any. I want a 105 average for that outlay, if you spend that on a mid you want 105 minimum, aiming for 110-115. That doesn't change just cos they are defenders.
But it's not that I don't trust them, just think they're more likely to go 100 maximum than 105+,so no value at all.

Don't know about others, but these are my personal question marks on each:
Lloyd - mainly more attention, how many defenders average 112 B2B, role change as intercept player
Laird - role change with new rules, less short marks in pocket
Sicily - volatile, most people think they can pick him up cheaper (likely to score 60s at some stage), suspension risk, role change as intercept player?
Simpson - 54 years old

Don't know about others, but these are my personal question marks on each:
Lloyd - mainly more attention, how many defenders average 112 B2B, role change as intercept player
Laird - role change with new rules, less short marks in pocket
Sicily - volatile, most people think they can pick him up cheaper (likely to score 60s at some stage), suspension risk, role change as intercept player?
Simpson - 54 years old
For me ... the premium defenders are still only averaging 100 - 105

So by selecting more mid priced DEF with upside, they may represent better value ... and allow me to spread the $$ more

Now i haven’t done that, but Andrew Birch has, and i like his thinking behind it

I also like that the side should have just 4-5 Rookies on field ..... so how to do it ?

So by selecting more mid priced DEF with upside, they may represent better value ... and allow me to spread the $$ more

Now i haven’t done that, but Andrew Birch has, and i like his thinking behind it

I also like that the side should have just 4-5 Rookies on field ..... so how to do it ?

You can achieve a lower number of on-field rookies in part by seeking out and choosing undervalued premiums over the uber 600k+ premiums. There are a bunch of players particularly in the midfield who have averaged 110+ in recent years in the 500-550k price bracket who are just as likely to be top10 mids this year as the 600k+ premiums. As discussed by others (who's names escape me right now) the turnover for top10 midfielders (and rucks) from year to year is quite high.

You can achieve a lower number of on-field rookies in part by seeking out and choosing undervalued premiums over the uber 600k+ premiums. There are a bunch of players particularly in the midfield who have averaged 110+ in recent years in the 500-550k price bracket who are just as likely to be top10 mids this year as the 600k+ premiums. As discussed by others (who's names escape me right now) the turnover for top10 midfielders (and rucks) from year to year is quite high.

Yeah , i’m seriously considering your approach ..... maybe not whole of field, but certainly, where midpriced options present themselves

My issue is believing in 4 guys to average between 101-107ish (Lloyd, Laird, Whitfield, Sicily) but believing all could be great value at some stage in the year (big drops for Lloyd/Laird trying to maintain mid premo averages, Sicily/Whitfield a tagged game, Sicily an injury game) - so obviously I want to plan on these guys in my final side.

But then, I also think the 5th to 10th rung could change a lot too. With Yeo, McDonald, Brayshaw out of the defence, we see the 5th to 10th being Hurn, Crisp, Howe, Suckling, Shaw, Hurley. If Crisp was fit he'd be a no-brainer, while Hurn is definitely a 'if it suits the team' player, which doesn't lend itself to scoring the same way year on year. 2019 could include guys like Z.Williams, Crozer, Ryan, Andrews, Witherden, B.Williams...picking a couple of these is tempting, but I could easily pick the wrong 2 of the big 4 (Lloyd/Whitfield/Laird/Sicily) and the wrong 2 of the breakouts, while also looking for obvious upgrade targets (Simpson, Crisp).

How to sort the defence so I can pick the premos needed, pick the breakout player or 2, and leave room for obvious upgrade targets and any other premium...

Yeah but he was very underwhelming last year. Needs guaranteed mid time, otherwise I think Frances is a more likely candidate.
On potential Francis is a lock but is his body up it?
Same as Darcy Moore for me. Would have both of them in my team if I thought their body could hold up.

currently no rookies on field in the forward line
Not a bad strategy at this early stage. Looks like we could start up to 3 in defence and mids and if you're game 1 in the rucks. There seem to be a couple forward rookies with potentially good job security but i have big doubts about their scoring capabilities.

In terms of scoring consistency, I don't mind Sicily but how many games does he miss due injury / suspension?
Laird - does Brodie Smith steal points?
Simpson - age.

The one premo I have faith in - Whitfield - I have in my side because if he's struggling down back his tank means Cameron could put him into the midfield rotations.

There seems to be a few mid-pricers who are virtually fallen premos (Smith, Zac Williams) who have a similar risk profile for lower outlay which means extra $$$ can be used on the forwardline premos, of which there seem to be a few who are virtually mid premos with proven durability / scoring consistency (e.g. Smith, Mills, Danger, and Dunkley's second half of 2018, his off-season with Bont in the US and his pre-season meant he was my first player picked).

ATS ... Setterfield and Parker ... so lots of ????
Got both. Suspect Cav will get games too, we have far less injuries than last year right now but he's still a round 1 chance.
Apparently his skills off both feet have impressed and he can stick a tackle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dare I mention that due to the ruck situation this year, there are a couple of very tempting mid priced rucks too?
*ducks*

Dare I mention that due to the ruck situation this year, there are a couple of very tempting mid priced rucks too?
*ducks*
As a Doggies supporter how's English looking? U guys went with him from round 1 last year and he played 7 games before injury. Has he bulked up?

Sean Darcy & Tim English

Considering
Ditto.

I see Grundy and Gawn dropping in price, and Sandi missing from the first few weeks of the season at least, giving Darcy a decent crack at it.
The Bulldogs have three fit ruckmen on the list (Trengove, English who is highly rated internally, and a 20 yo rookie named Sweet).

There are mid and forward premos who are likely to maintain high scoring levels.

Ditto.

I see Grundy and Gawn dropping in price, and Sandi missing from the first few weeks of the season at least, giving Darcy a decent crack at it.
The Bulldogs have three fit ruckmen on the list (Trengove, English who is highly rated internally, and a 20 yo rookie named Sweet).

There are mid and forward premos who are likely to maintain high scoring levels.

Darcy should get lots of time in the No.1 Ruck role with Sandilands out for a while, but I’m worried Trengove will take points off English if he rucks too much :think:

Got both. Suspect Cav will get games too, we have far less injuries than last year right now but he's still a round 1 chance.
Apparently his skills off both feet have impressed and he can stick a tackle.
What about scoring though .... Eddie Betts is a great player as a small forward .... but no one picks him in SC

What about scoring though .... Eddie Betts is a great player as a small forward .... but no one picks him in SC
Cav would only need to be a cash cow, not a keeper.

Just playing around with my structure and put some mid pricers in.

Currently looking at my team..

C74AhIC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back