PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm no expert, but aren't the transfer speeds for both SATA III and USB 3.0 higher than the transfer speeds for basically all SATA SSDs (and therefore it wouldn't make any real difference by which method an SSD is connected)?

That’s right. On paper the bandwidths are almost the same but in practice the external drives max out before the limit. I don’t know why. I doubt it would be noticeable when gaming anyway.

When can we expect the 3000 series to launch? i want to build a new pc but i am kinda holding off for a 12 core processor. Also wondering if the 3000 series processor will work on the ryzen 2700x motherboard?

"Middle of 2019" is all they've said, they could potentially launch it around E3 in May.......... and yes they're meant to work fine on current AM4 motherboards, although there is a new chipset on the horizon that'll provide some new features that might be worth waiting for (eg. PCIe 4.0)

Last edited:
Pcie 4.0 is backwards compatible. There is no hardware change as long as the traces wires extend no longer than 6 inches (150mm) from the CPU.
AMD is leaving it open to the motherboard manufacturers to decide wether they update existing mobos or not.
For a typical gaming build, ie 1 GPU, 1or 2 SATA SSD &1hdd pcie 4.0 gives almost zero benefit.

Pcie 4.0 is backwards compatible. There is no hardware change as long as the traces wires extend no longer than 6 inches (150mm) from the CPU.
AMD is leaving it open to the motherboard manufacturers to decide wether they update existing mobos or not.
For a typical gaming build, ie 1 GPU, 1or 2 SATA SSD &1hdd pcie 4.0 gives almost zero benefit.

I guess it depends on whether you're building the PC for now, or for what could happen in a couple of years time.

Still getting massive high 70's with the Anthem demo, surely shouldn't need to put the video settings down, granted playing on Ultra but does it make a difference?

I wouldn’t worry about it. You’re on air and that’s under full load. No need for concern until 80s and even then you won’t risk any throttling until 90s.

I wouldn’t worry about it. You’re on air and that’s under full load. No need for concern until 80s and even then you won’t risk any throttling until 90s. On a 240mm AIO I’m hitting high 60s to mid 70s myself depending on the game.

Thanks mate. Switched the stock fan for the Cryorig back to the Coolermaster, also realized I'm out of free RGB slots on the splitter, so back to Scorptec soon :)

Another noob comment, but keep getting NZXT cam 'over 81c' warnings, nothing to be worried about?

Also getting drift on the left joystick on both DS4 and XBox controllers, possible driver issue?

Thanks mate. Switched the stock fan for the Cryorig back to the Coolermaster, also realized I'm out of free RGB slots on the splitter, so back to Scorptec soon :)

Another noob comment, but keep getting NZXT cam 'over 81c' warnings, nothing to be worried about?

Also getting drift on the left joystick on both DS4 and XBox controllers, possible driver issue?

I've never used NZXT's cam software so not sure sorry. I'm not that familiar with typical Ryzen temps either. It can be a funky one though. I've used monitoring software that alerts high temps on single cores but more often than not (in my experience) it was from a spike. I use Fan Xpert now that came with my Asus motherboard, and while you can measure each core I just go by the overall package temp which is more of an average and no warnings. However if I boot up Afterburner I'll occasionally see some pretty high spikes but only seems for a split second. Whether your monitoring software is just alerting those spikes or if you've got another underlying issue I don't know. Which Cryorig do you have again? Might be worth looking it up again to see if it has enough surface area to sufficiently cool your CPU.

No idea on the controller thing. Wired or wireless? Never tried using a DS4, have always just used a wireless XB1 controller with the official wireless adaptor. Windows didn't properly automatically installed the drivers for the USB adaptor and I had to go get them but since then I haven't had to think about it again.

About to start a new build, found what I want on PC Case Gears website but wondering if there was a better site I should use to find the parts? Doing my upgrades in 2 parts, mobo, ram and CPU now, using my current case and PSU, and then upgrade my GPU when I have the spare cash post holidays.

Was keen on using PC case gear because they have Zippay and then I have the month to pay it off, but flexible.

About to start a new build, found what I want on PC Case Gears website but wondering if there was a better site I should use to find the parts? Doing my upgrades in 2 parts, mobo, ram and CPU now, using my current case and PSU, and then upgrade my GPU when I have the spare cash post holidays.

Was keen on using PC case gear because they have Zippay and then I have the month to pay it off, but flexible.

PC Part Picker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.scorptec.com.au/ have a pretty nifty little system builder if it helps.

Behold Intel 10nm!

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13405/intel-10nm-cannon-lake-and-core-i3-8121u-deep-dive-review

https://www.semiaccurate.com/2019/01/25/why-semiaccurate-called-10nm-wrong/

TLDR:
Intel 10nm is hot garbage. To be swept under the rug and never spoken about again.
Intel had 4 fabs set up for 10nm.
1 has been backported with 14nm machinery to help with their supply shortfalls.
2 have been fit out with 7nm EUV lithography machines which preclude them from 10nm production.
This leaves a grand total of 1 Intel 10nm fab which pretty much spells the end of 10nm ever seeing the light of day in either server or desktop.

At least a lot of the problems they have had to work through on 10nm will be helpful in accelerating 7nm development.
Now doubt they will be less aggressive in their density targets. Which gave them trouble at 14nm 4 years ago and basically torpedoed 10nm from the outset.

Anyone tried SecretLabs chairs? I'm done with these shitty Officeworks chairs, and need something decent since my back isn't great. Would also prefer fabric instead of real/fake leather.

Anyone tried SecretLabs chairs? I'm done with these shitty Officeworks chairs, and need something decent since my back isn't great. Would also prefer fabric instead of real/fake leather.

Haven't tried SecretLabs (see their ads all the time though) and those sorts of chairs are definitely worth it. I was sick of getting a crap Officeworks chair too every 12 months so forked for a DX Racer. I wasn't fussed with which brand I could get, I just wanted to get a decent chair and DX Racer was the most easily available locally. I prefer the look of the SecretLabs chairs though I must admit. I've had my DX Racer King Series for about 4 years and no sign of wear and I'm 6'4" and a bit over 100kgs with a s**t back and hip. All of these brands are of similar design - slings and springs under the cushion instead of wood so they don't get flat after sitting on them for years, and they have more adjustable points to take the pressure off your lower back.

Haven't tried SecretLabs (see their ads all the time though) and those sorts of chairs are definitely worth it. I was sick of getting a crap Officeworks chair too every 12 months so forked for a DX Racer. I wasn't fussed with which brand I could get, I just wanted to get a decent chair and DX Racer was the most easily available locally. I prefer the look of the SecretLabs chairs though I must admit. I've had my DX Racer King Series for about 4 years and no sign of wear and I'm 6'4" and a bit over 100kgs with a s**t back and hip. All of these brands are of similar design - slings and springs under the cushion instead of wood so they don't get flat after sitting on them for years, and they have more adjustable points to take the pressure off your lower back.

Yeah I'm about 6'3" and a about 90kg, but had 2-3 disc issues at different spots amongst other issues. Thinking about going all out and getting the Titan, it seems to review well and costs about the same or cheaper than a good "ergonomic" chair locally.

Yeah I'm about 6'3" and a about 90kg, but had 2-3 disc issues at different spots amongst other issues. Thinking about going all out and getting the Titan, it seems to review well and costs about the same or cheaper than a good "ergonomic" chair locally.

It's definitely worth it in the end if you ask me. I can't vouch for these sorts of chairs enough. Not sure if it's something you would be interested in but the Titan doesn't say that a lumbar pillow is included like some of the other models. I've got one that came with mine and it drives me nuts sometimes when it moves around or I can't quite get it where I want but I feel naked without it on there.

It's definitely worth it in the end if you ask me. I can't vouch for these sorts of chairs enough. Not sure if it's something you would be interested in but the Titan doesn't say that a lumbar pillow is included like some of the other models. I've got one that came with mine and it drives me nuts sometimes when it moves around or I can't quite get it where I want but I feel naked without it on there.

The Titan comes with adjustable lumbar support in the back of the chair.

Im similar to you size wise and have back problems, and doing the same research was going to get the Titan as well but think I read something about the Titan flaking after a certain amount of time.

I ended up going with the DX Racer and absolutely love it, and they're slighty cheaper too of which you can get them from the usual computer stores.

Im similar to you size wise and have back problems, and doing the same research was going to get the Titan as well but think I read something about the Titan flaking after a certain amount of time.

I ended up going with the DX Racer and absolutely love it, and they're slighty cheaper too of which you can get them from the usual computer stores.

Yeah I've heard one or two reports of it happening, which is one of the reasons I was looking at the "Softweave" fabric version. I wanted to try to avoid PU leather this time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back