2018 Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminder that even if we'd lose to the Eagles and GWS we still would have played finals. After the Geelong game all those statistical predictors still had us at like a 90% chance of playing finals I think.

As an aside - I got dumped on the morning of the Gold Coast game and I remember not being able to care less because we played like s**t and still won by almost 100 points and I was sitting at the MCG knowing we would almost definitely make finals. Don't think it was ever that likely we were going to miss.

Reminder that even if we'd lose to the Eagles and GWS we still would have played finals. After the Geelong game all those statistical predictors still had us at like a 90% chance of playing finals I think.

As an aside - I got dumped on the morning of the Gold Coast game and I remember not being able to care less because we played like s**t and still won by almost 100 points and I was sitting at the MCG knowing we would almost definitely make finals. Don't think it was ever that likely we were going to miss.

Even though we were 90% likely to get in or whatever, my MFCSS was in full effect after the 2017 debacle in the final round.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even though we were 90% likely to get in or whatever, my MFCSS was in full effect after the 2017 debacle in the final round.

True. As someone else said percentage was the big difference and that was never in doubt last year.

Sounds like she was a special girl ;)

Nah, this is a little incorrect. What happened was the Pies did us a real solid by beating Port comfortably at the MCG the day before, which meant we were even on wins but percentage was massively in our favour. If we had not beaten the Eagles it would come down to us having to beat the Giants to make finals. Easy to say in hindsight we didn’t have to win a game but I think if Port still had a realistic chance to make finals (Not relying on the Suns to beat the Cats...) they would have put up a much better performance against the Bombers.

I wouldn't barrack for a team on the basis of one player. You never know where they might end up by the end of their careers in the modern game. At the end of the 2017 season Cox almost got traded to Brisbane. There are lots of Aussies playing in the NBA & most will play for multiple teams by the end of the careers. I love watching Ben Simmons but I still follow Charlotte.
We need you on the Hornets thread, or the hornets subreddit. Not enough hornets love in the world really

I'm just going to say I've loved watching you go through the year AmericanAFL.

PS there's the gift of a mod visible in the cheer squad when you get to the Hawthorn game.

I'm just going to say I've loved watching you go through the year AmericanAFL.

PS there's the gift of a mod visible in the cheer squad when you get to the Hawthorn game.

I’ve really enjoyed the interaction in this thread as I’ve gone through the season as well.

You’ll have to tell me who and what to look for when the Hawthorn game comes up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which game are you up to?

Teams come out on a Thursday night, they name 22 players for games on Friday night, and Saturday, while games on Sunday, they name and extended bench of 28, that is cut back on Friday night

Adelaide.

What are the biggest weaknesses you've noticed in our side if any, AmericanAFL?

Honestly I’m not sure how qualified I am to offer a critique such as that. I don’t understand tactics, strategy or schemes well enough to say with any degree of confidence.

I’ll give it some more thought, but the things that have stood out for criticism from me have revolved mostly around a lack of composure at times.

That and we went through a stretch where we were dominating teams on offensive inside 50s and it just wasn’t showing up on the scoreboard. That’s one of the reasons I’m such a fan of Melksham, as compared to say Hogan. Have each of them gain possession around 50-60M and Melk would usually make an incisive pass to an open teammate for a scoring chance, while Hogan would just pump it deeo into a crowd towards the goal square. I would actually rather see a long ball toward the pocket than the middle of the ground. We have Maxy, so if the ball gets pushed out of bounds in that area we have a big advantage in the ruck. Ironically, my least favorite play of the season was when Trac did exactly this with 90 seconds left vs Geelong (it’s all about timing!) Further irony had Maxy leave before the ensuing throw in due to a bloody nose.

Speaking of this, what do we all think of the new ruck rules? I think I heard a while back that now rucks can catch the ball on throw ins? Surely this will be a big advantage for us in so many ways?

Anyway back to your original question, I’ll give it some more thought but going back to bed now, it’s not quite 4am.

Last edited:
As for what our weaknesses may be, I know I was frustrated at times with Lever letting opponents behind him to receive a pass and essentially have a breakaway. Maybe he was playing too far up the pitch at times? I sort of recall a commentator mentioning that he maybe was still getting a feel for our defensive schemes.

I was also briefly concerned by some of Maxy’s play recently. Seemed like maybe he was tired- but Tmac seemed to do a pretty good job in that role when Max would take a breather, so maybe that’s not a big issue moving forward.

What do you footy experts see as our biggest area of concern?

Oh, one more thought on what I perceive as potential negatives (and would love feedback on this).

I feel like defenders should focus less on taking a mark themselves, and more on just preventing the opponent from marking. Unless there’s something in the rules that against it, I would prefer they go up with one arm and attempt to punch the ball out. Going up with one arm allows you to get more height than with two.

Thoughts?

Anyone with thoughts on how the new ruck rules will impact us?

Much of the same I'd say.

As for what our weaknesses may be, I know I was frustrated at times with Lever letting opponents behind him to receive a pass and essentially have a breakaway. Maybe he was playing too far up the pitch at times? I sort of recall a commentator mentioning that he maybe was still getting a feel for our defensive schemes.

I was also briefly concerned by some of Maxy’s play recently. Seemed like maybe he was tired- but Tmac seemed to do a pretty good job in that role when Max would take a breather, so maybe that’s not a big issue moving forward.

What do you footy experts see as our biggest area of concern?

Conversion of our midfield and ground ball dominance. We were the best ground ball side in the competition in 2018 but we really struggled to capitalize at times (First Geelong game, Port game, St Kilda 2nd game, Swans game). Aside from that our defence was a bit iffy against the best sides last year but I think that'll improve this year with May and Lever coming back in.

Oh, one more thought on what I perceive as potential negatives (and would love feedback on this).

I feel like defenders should focus less on taking a mark themselves, and more on just preventing the opponent from marking. Unless there’s something in the rules that against it, I would prefer they go up with one arm and attempt to punch the ball out. Going up with one arm allows you to get more height than with two.

Thoughts?

Depends on the player. Someone like Oscar McDonald you want punching the ball because he isn't a noted intercept mark player, whereas someone like Lever is great in that role (Lever is also very intelligent as to when he goes for the mark compared to the punch).

Do you think you’ll get around to watching all our 2018 games before the new season starts AmericanAFL ?

I really hope so. I haven’t had as much time to watch the last couple of weeks unfortunately.

But there’s still have a full month before round one, so I should be able to get them in. I’ve actually already seen the first West Coast game and both finals wins, but I plan to watch them again anyway.

Speaking of the new ruck rules, I read that Preuss caught a throw-in and snapped a goal during the Collingwood practice match. I also saw Smith take that flying mark- I guess Sizzle’s successful move to forward has inspired his move?

We have some serious height to throw out in the forward line if we want to.

I really hope so. I haven’t had as much time to watch the last couple of weeks unfortunately.

But there’s still have a full month before round one, so I should be able to get them in. I’ve actually already seen the first West Coast game and both finals wins, but I plan to watch them again anyway.

Speaking of the new ruck rules, I read that Preuss caught a throw-in and snapped a goal during the Collingwood practice match. I also saw Smith take that flying mark- I guess Sizzle’s successful move to forward has inspired his move?

We have some serious height to throw out in the forward line if we want to.

Good stuff. I like reminiscing through your eyes when you watch last year’s games.

Re Smith, I actually think it’s the recruitment of May and impending return of Lever that might have made the coaches move Smith forward, with so many tall/medium defenders. He’s certainly got the athleticism to be a handful up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back