Prediction Best 22 R1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I would go with Joyce if it were between the two. Roberton first game back too so he will be raw. I'd look at Webster to play a lock-down role. Maybe give Battle a run in a third tall type of role but I'd be nervous. It's kind of funny when you think about it but Gilbo would probably get a run in our Rd 1 team :p

I guess I'm forgetting the JLT games plus intraclub which should give Battle a good run in defence.

What about Austin? Is he injured?

Depends how good Battle is at reading the play.

Didn't hurt Roo or Kosi in their early days.

Joyce is the interesting one. They must see something to give him another shot.

Given the opposition, they only have 2MP don't they?

Thoughts Stewart66 ?

Thoughts Stewart66 ?
Just drove a massive drive and listened to Riewoldts book today. I'd forgotten that he played in defence, fascinating hearing him speaking about playing on some quality forwards. If it's a way to get Battle in the side then I guess I'm for it because I think he's a massive talent.

Battle is an interesting one. I'd be nervous about throwing him into CHB in round 1. Has zero experience there - would prefer to develop him there through the reserves. Backline will be interesting early on especially if Carlisle doesn't get up.
Agree, less than ideal at chb in rd 1 for Battle especially without Carlisle or Brown there for guidance. Austin may not end up being fit though so we may have to take the risk. We do have a lot of experience around them with Gears, Robbo back and Webster although Robbo has been out the whole of last season as well. Will be interesting how it plays out - myb JLT will give us a better idea

Just drove a massive drive and listened to Riewoldts book today. I'd forgotten that he played in defence, fascinating hearing him speaking about playing on some quality forwards. If it's a way to get Battle in the side then I guess I'm for it because I think he's a massive talent.
I'd like him on the wing but if it gives us balance, I'm all for it. Too much talent to waste at Sandy, waiting for a forward spot to open up. Especially if we play Marshall as well.

I'd like him on the wing but if it gives us balance, I'm all for it. Too much talent to waste at Sandy, waiting for a forward spot to open up. Especially if we play Marshall as well.
Completely agree. When you think about it, our list does have a bit of imbalance - Paddy, Battle, Membrey, Bruce, and even Marshall and also now King, they are all very similar types and it's pretty much impossible to fit them all into the forward line. So the idea of putting Battle back does make sense because as you say he's too good a talent to waste at Sandy.

It's why I like the signings of Parker, Young and Hind. They are player types that we don't have a lot of and it's probably why they'll all play early on. Suggests to me this Gallagher bloke knows what he's doing but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thoughts Stewart66 ?

Joyce would be strong chance as there is doubt surrounding Carlisle & Austin for round 1.

Suns have several tall options Sam Day , Corbett , 2MP they may play Crossley as forward / ruck as well.

Can see the influence Ratten is having with the education of Battle very much the same as Gunston &
Sicily genuine swing option going forward , think he could surprise a lot this year.
Think lots of spots are up for grabs , which is what you want this time of year.

Past reputations count for very little given last years performance.

Completely agree. When you think about it, our list does have a bit of imbalance - Paddy, Battle, Membrey, Bruce, and even Marshall and also now King, they are all very similar types and it's pretty much impossible to fit them all into the forward line. So the idea of putting Battle back does make sense because as you say he's too good a talent to waste at Sandy.

It's why I like the signings of Parker, Young and Hind. They are player types that we don't have a lot of and it's probably why they'll all play early on. Suggests to me this Gallagher bloke knows what he's doing but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
The odd thing about that is when you do both 22s battle ends up forward as we have more key defenders than forwards. At the end of the day if we play 3 talls in the firsts we want 3 to play in the seconds and we have that if all fit

Joyce would be strong chance as there is doubt surrounding Carlisle & Austin for round 1.

Suns have several tall options Sam Day , Corbett , 2MP they may play Crossley as forward / ruck as well.

Can see the influence Ratten is having with the education of Battle very much the same as Gunston &
Sicily genuine swing option going forward , think he could surprise a lot this year.
Think lots of spots are up for grabs , which is what you want this time of year.

Past reputations count for very little given last years performance.

I guess we'll see after selection whether past reputations count for much. Hopefully they don't because we've seen what last year's team was like.

I woudnt say they are very similar types at all , Paddy is the odd one out IMO , Bruce , Members and Battle can at least get up and down the ground and Marshall is more of a Ruck forward type i would have thought , but yes i do agree we need to find a spot for Battle as he is too good to play at Sandy

The rest are miles from it!?

Look, I am going to write something you are not going to be happy with. You are probably the worst offender at over rating our list on his forum. You put up great long posts that are full of "ifs' and "maybes" and "what ifs". And of course on a St Kilda forum you are always going to find die hards that will jump on the band wagon. Here are some samples of you posts from this same thread last year,

"The thing I like about our list and our drafting and trading is that I believe we are starting to bat genuinely deep with quality talent.

And by that I mean those who have the ability to get to, or who are already at least "B-grade":

Steven
Ross
Billings
Carlisle
Gresham
Roberton
Membrey
Acres
Dunstan
Steele
Paddy
Sincs

Are 12 who already are or who I believe have the genuine potential to get to "A-grade" level (ie. to the sort of level Joey got to, if not better)."

and

"I reckon we have a team that's going to bat deep in the 22 (in particular deeper than WB and Rich did to win the last two flags, and deeper than we did under Ross)"

and

"nd some of the reactions to talk about Sincs being a potential "A-grader" on the MB, that those who don't watch us, or in particular him closely have no idea how valuable he is to our side, and just how much we want the ball in his hands, especially forward of centre."

At least B- Grade!!

If you put these names - Steven, Ross, Billings,Carlisle, Gresham, Roberton, Membrey, Acres, Dunstan, Steele, Paddy, Sincs - on the main board and ask footy supporters to rank them ABC or D and you are going to get something like BBCBBBBCCCDC. The only two remotely close to A grade are Steven and Carlisle and really Steven has too many flaws to be considered out and out A. The rest are solid Bs and Cs.

As a supporter I get that it is hard to ignore our inherent biases but I think you have to if you want to get a real evaluation of our list - currently reckoned by most supporters to be in the worst 3 in the AFL. Could that change - of course but there is no current evidence on the table that it is going to change quickly.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see who puts their hand up in the pre-season games, and I would hope the more experienced players lead by example, otherwise we suffer from the same directionless play that has plagued us for the last couple of seasons.

Seeing all these line ups really shows how much our list as drastically changed in a season, with few retirements and couple of delisting, and few trades.

Nowadays we get to choose between Young, Parker, Wilkie, Coff, Long instead of Weller, Minch, Wright, Gilbo.

Spots are up for sale, lets see who grabs some.

Prior to last year Richo showed a reluctance to make team changes regardless of form or team balance. I believe with the depth of inexperienced talent growing we still need to use this year as a development season. Consequently selection should be based on form and we may finally have an even playing field and real competition for spots. It will be a juggling act but we need to get as many games as their bodies allow into Clark, Paton, Coffield, Austin & Battle. We need to expose the mature aged recruits Hind, Young, Parker to as much AFL footy as their form dictates. Sinclair, Acres, Billings and Gresham need to get as many minutes in the midfield as possible.

Statistically defence is our weakest link but I think its because we rarely control the midfield. As mentioned by other posters perhaps it's time to move Webster up onto a wing, to use his aggression up the ground and his kicking to deliver it to our forwards. Get on the front foot rather than having a save the game mindset. Let Coffield play his role down back and develop for the year. Coffield's over head marking is better than Jimmys and his creativity, decision making and kicking is on par.

Slower players like Armitage, Dunstan, Lonie & Rice unless their speed or form improves expeditionary should only play to fill in for injuries.

Kent is one that has been hardly discussed and if he can remain injury free I believe will be a huge smokie up forward. He is a left footed goal kicker with burst away speed and matched with Long and other small forwards eg Young we will be deadly.

The tall forward positions for me will be the clubs biggest test of selection transparency. Bruce for me has to start and remain close to goal for the entire game, he is simply our best contested mark and best goal kicking option. Using him as the relief ruckman is counter productive to our forward setups and hindered his forward game. Before he was used as the relief ruck his form was outstanding.

In todays game with the new rules I can see the traditional CHF position being almost redundant. We need good lead up strong marking transition players and I would play Membrey and or Battle (understand they want him to play back) in that role. That means either Paddy or Marshall are the 3rd tall and relief ruckman option, and form must dictate who plays (not draft position). For me Marshall gets the nod ahead of Paddy in the opening game solely because of his greater flexibitlity. If Bruce is being locked down only then rotate him out of the FF spot.

Like wise when all the tall defenders are fit and available its time to start to transition Austin into Brown's role. I don't see who we have slated to fill in Carlilse's role but he must be kept honest at selection also. He is the type of player who just cruises and I believe he can go up another notch if pushed.

Our ruckman are a story separate to the remainder. Pierce would no doubt go ahead of Longer if he could run out games, but he can't. So we will play Longer and hopefully with a solid pre season he can start to have an impact around the ground. Hopefully our thin rucking list can remain injury free.

With Richo's job on the line change trusting new players will be difficult, but I think we can still win games and remain competitive whilst being flexible with selections. We will be much stronger going forward if form players are rewarded and developed, there should no longer be room to play injured and out form senior players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, I am going to write something you are not going to be happy with. You are probably the worst offender at over rating our list on his forum. You put up great long posts that are full of "ifs' and "maybes" and "what ifs". And of course on a St Kilda forum you are always going to find die hards that will jump on the band wagon. Here are some samples of you posts from this same thread last year,

"The thing I like about our list and our drafting and trading is that I believe we are starting to bat genuinely deep with quality talent.

And by that I mean those who have the ability to get to, or who are already at least "B-grade":

Steven
Ross
Billings
Carlisle
Gresham
Roberton
Membrey
Acres
Dunstan
Steele
Paddy
Sincs

Are 12 who already are or who I believe have the genuine potential to get to "A-grade" level (ie. to the sort of level Joey got to, if not better)."

and

"I reckon we have a team that's going to bat deep in the 22 (in particular deeper than WB and Rich did to win the last two flags, and deeper than we did under Ross)"

and

"nd some of the reactions to talk about Sincs being a potential "A-grader" on the MB, that those who don't watch us, or in particular him closely have no idea how valuable he is to our side, and just how much we want the ball in his hands, especially forward of centre."

At least B- Grade!!

If you put these names - Steven, Ross, Billings,Carlisle, Gresham, Roberton, Membrey, Acres, Dunstan, Steele, Paddy, Sincs - on the main board and ask footy supporters to rank them ABC or D and you are going to get something like BBCBBBBCCCDC. The only two remotely close to A grade are Steven and Carlisle and really Steven has too many flaws to be considered out and out A. The rest are solid Bs and Cs.

As a supporter I get that it is hard to ignore our inherent biases but I think you have to if you want to get a real evaluation of our list - currently reckoned by most supporters to be in the worst 3 in the AFL. Could that change - of course but there is no current evidence on the table that it is going to change quickly.
I'm hoping Steele , Gresham , Acres , Billings kick in a gear and show they are A grade players this year

Steven
Ross
Billings
Carlisle
Gresham
Roberton
Membrey
Acres
Dunstan
Steele
Paddy
Sincs

and

and

At least B- Grade!!

I quite enjoy ARR’s posts. I think it would be fair to say that I don’t come here for a genuine assessment of our list. I come here to share the excitement of the possibility that we may once again become a team that plays deep into September. I enjoy reading ARR’s opinions regarding the list which I think are well thought out and draw decent conclusions.

Also, just because something has not occurred doesn’t mean it may not hold truth. On that basis Cho might be hapless despite his continued tenure AND our list might be pretty good despite its failure to fire.

I quite enjoy ARR’s posts. I think it would be fair to say that I don’t come here for a genuine assessment of our list. I come here to share the excitement of the possibility that we may once again become a team that plays deep into September. I enjoy reading ARR’s opinions regarding the list which I think are well thought out and draw decent conclusions.

Also, just because something has not occurred doesn’t mean it may not hold truth. On that basis Cho might be hapless despite his continued tenure AND our list might be pretty good despite its failure to fire.

Fair point. I don't mind a bit of optimism as long as it doesn't meander into fantasy.

I'm hoping Steele , Gresham , Acres , Billings kick in a gear and show they are A grade players this year

Maybe they will become A grade players. But in nobodies world are they A grade now, not even close - unless your definition of A grade is they get 23 games a year. I could see Gresham getting there one day. Billings should be but he has some Jack Watts about him. The other two....can't see it.

Steven
Ross
Billings
Carlisle
Gresham
Roberton
Membrey
Acres
Dunstan
Steele
Paddy
Sincs

and

and

At least B- Grade!!

You make a fair point and as Saints fans, we are generally eternal optimists, but your saying because other supporters who generally only really watch saints games once or twice a year and have a bias towards their own club think our best players are b and c graders at most then it must be true.

We had a s**t year in 18, and all players didnt play to their potential. If we start playing well the way our players look will rise exponentially as even average players can look great in a team playing well.

In 2017 a lot of external commentators were saying our list had a lot of potential. Its the same team minus a few legends and some reserves with the addition of some exciting recruits.

I am really hoping our young guys can take the next step this year!!

You make a fair point and as Saints fans, we are generally eternal optimists, but your saying because other supporters who generally only really watch saints games once or twice a year and have a bias towards their own club think our best players are b and c graders at most then it must be true.

We had a s**t year in 18, and all players didnt play to their potential. If we start playing well the way our players look will rise exponentially as even average players can look great in a team playing well.

In 2017 a lot of external commentators were saying our list had a lot of potential. Its the same team minus a few legends and some reserves with the addition of some exciting recruits.

I am really hoping our young guys can take the next step this year!!
With guys like Steele , Acres , Gresham , Billings , Sinclair , Hunter , Coffield we have enough flair and skill to match most teams.
Add in Steven , Ross , Hannebery , Carlisle , Roberton , Webster , Membery , Bruce , McKenzie and I'm thinking we might be playing finals if everything gels.

Prior to last year Richo showed a reluctance to make team changes regardless of form or team balance. I believe with the depth of inexperienced talent growing we still need to use this year as a development season. Consequently selection should be based on form and we may finally have an even playing field and real competition for spots. It will be a juggling act but we need to get as many games as their bodies allow into Clark, Paton, Coffield, Austin & Battle. We need to expose the mature aged recruits Hind, Young, Parker to as much AFL footy as their form dictates. Sinclair, Acres, Billings and Gresham need to get as many minutes in the midfield as possible.

Statistically defence is our weakest link but I think its because we rarely control the midfield. As mentioned by other posters perhaps it's time to move Webster up onto a wing, to use his aggression up the ground and his kicking to deliver it to our forwards. Get on the front foot rather than having a save the game mindset. Let Coffield play his role down back and develop for the year. Coffield's over head marking is better than Jimmys and his creativity, decision making and kicking is on par.

Slower players like Armitage, Dunstan, Lonie & Rice unless their speed or form improves expeditionary should only play to fill in for injuries.

Kent is one that has been hardly discussed and if he can remain injury free I believe will be a huge smokie up forward. He is a left footed goal kicker with burst away speed and matched with Long and other small forwards eg Young we will be deadly.

The tall forward positions for me will be the clubs biggest test of selection transparency. Bruce for me has to start and remain close to goal for the entire game, he is simply our best contested mark and best goal kicking option. Using him as the relief ruckman is counter productive to our forward setups and hindered his forward game. Before he was used as the relief ruck his form was outstanding.

In todays game with the new rules I can see the traditional CHF position being almost redundant. We need good lead up strong marking transition players and I would play Membrey and or Battle (understand they want him to play back) in that role. That means either Paddy or Marshall are the 3rd tall and relief ruckman option, and form must dictate who plays (not draft position). For me Marshall gets the nod ahead of Paddy in the opening game solely because of his greater flexibitlity. If Bruce is being locked down only then rotate him out of the FF spot.

Like wise when all the tall defenders are fit and available its time to start to transition Austin into Brown's role. I don't see who we have slated to fill in Carlilse's role but he must be kept honest at selection also. He is the type of player who just cruises and I believe he can go up another notch if pushed.

Our ruckman are a story separate to the remainder. Pierce would no doubt go ahead of Longer if he could run out games, but he can't. So we will play Longer and hopefully with a solid pre season he can start to have an impact around the ground. Hopefully our thin rucking list can remain injury free.

With Richo's job on the line change trusting new players will be difficult, but I think we can still win games and remain competitive whilst being flexible with selections. We will be much stronger going forward if form players are rewarded and developed, there should no longer be room to play injured and out form senior players.
I really don't see Austin as Brown's logical replacement. He's not good one on one however his strength is intercept marking and more of a running role.

I see him more as a Roberton type or even a Carlisle replacement.

Maybe they will become A grade players. But in nobodies world are they A grade now, not even close - unless your definition of A grade is they get 23 games a year. I could see Gresham getting there one day. Billings should be but he has some Jack Watts about him. The other two....can't see it.
Billings has had 5 years to prove himself hes no walk up start. Dont be surprised to see him at sandy at some stage.

Billings has had 5 years to prove himself hes no walk up start. Dont be surprised to see him at sandy at some stage.
Billings could easily be a All Australian this year - he looks fitter and stronger - but of course he could have another bad year , but I doubt it.
My prediction
Steele and Billings will be the players who will be standouts this year.

I'm not disagreeing with your rationale, but I think the only way this happens is if the club invests in Richo.
Even if it is only for twelve months.
That is; give him the imprimatur to trust the new players, with win/loss secondary.
However ,that investment may not be popular with the fan base.
But we may already be seeing the messaging: for example Bassat's line of being competitive in each game, and having the win/loss look after itself.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Steven
Ross
Billings
Carlisle
Gresham
Roberton
Membrey
Acres
Dunstan
Steele
Paddy
Sincs

and

and

At least B- Grade!!

But what if, maybe, based on potential and if we go ok injury-wise ARR is right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back