AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

DaveBrereton

Draftee
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think it’s great the AFLW is progressing well just after a few years at the end of the day it doesn’t matter if there is still some hostility or bias still Eminating or not they are doing what they want to do. Yes their game is slower more congested they can’t run as fast or kick as long as the men and their ability to jump is hampered by being physically too top heavy but they certainly dont lack heart or commitment in their effort or attitude which shows they are serious in their approach to the game. For those who still don’t like the thought of woman playing footy just look at it for what it is and allow others the chance to play and enjoy the game on their own terms

As a Dad who’s taking his 10 yr old daughter to pre season footy training in a bout 15min, i think it’s going good.
But
I’m kinda worried what the womans game is gonna look like next year with another four teams joining..thats 120 more players they gotta find and may spread the talent thinner at top level for a few years.
Anyways...see what happen I spose

As a Dad who’s taking his 10 yr old daughter to pre season footy training in a bout 15min, i think it’s going good.
But
I’m kinda worried what the womans game is gonna look like next year with another four teams joining..thats 120 more players they gotta find and may spread the talent thinner at top level for a few years.
Anyways...see what happen I spose

I have a similar concern, but it's partly quelled by knowing that the top 10 draftees from last season are probably already a top 10 player at their club
The quality will rise quickly because they are starting to draft girls/women who haven't had to stop playing

I think it’s great for women’s sport however I have a problem with the over saturation of the sport in the media. It’s an amateur competition promoted like a professional one. And that’s taking nothing away from women’s sport, I’d just much rather see elite women’s sport promoted in the same way rather than aflw.

I have a similar concern, but it's partly quelled by knowing that the top 10 draftees from last season are probably already a top 10 player at their club
The quality will rise quickly because they are starting to draft girls/women who haven't had to stop playing
Your right, a few years and it’ll be solid with kids coming thru

Needed a superleague style 8-10 team league, run parallel to the men's season. Curtain raisers and closer games mixed with stand alone games. Grand final as the curtain easier to the men's grand final.

Instead, the AFL wanted to cut as many costs as possible, and now weve got a product that will never succeed

I am a man so I will get in early before this thread is locked, What did people expect ? These ladies work jobs
and juggle life balance, but their commitment to their sport is amazing and inspirational. Yeah some facets of
the game have been rushed, but it's simple supply and demand catered to a growth area. Take in some minor
history on the men's game and the first rules make AFLX look great. I watch it because I choose to and the
new rules the AFL introduced are quite good, pity it will take the coaches years to adapt. There are lessons
in all levels of football so I watch all levels of football, but it's my choice.

I think it is s**t, a complete waste of money and resources and find the way it is reported and the commentary surrounding it akin to the way you'd praise a 3 year old taking his first crap on the potty. The fact it gets so much promotion and coverage is nauseating. Most of these women would be lucky to get a kick in the A7 B grade. It's just not a game designed for women. I have no problem with women playing the game but don't keep telling me it's any good or worth watching.

I think it is s**t, a complete waste of money and resources and find the way it is reported and the commentary surrounding it akin to the way you'd praise a 3 year old taking his first crap on the potty. The fact it gets so much promotion and coverage is nauseating. Most of these women would be lucky to get a kick in the A7 B grade. It's just not a game designed for women. I have no problem with women playing the game but don't keep telling me it's any good or worth watching.

It’s good and worth watching.

It’s almost like different people have different tastes...

One thing to say it's s**t to watch, but to call it a waste of resources is pretty dumb. Opening up opportunities for women to play the sport isn't a waste of resources and creating more top level womens competitions is good in the long run. The game is at its infancy and the skills will take years to improve, that was always the case. Comparing it to the men's level A,D,C grade it's pretty meaningless considering how young the competition is.

The standard isn't the point at this stage but it will improve in time.

It's great that women want to play sport, and nobody should stand in their way if that's what they enjoy. If it succeeds, then paying current AFLW players a "pioneer' salary will be justified. But there will come a point where nobody should expect to be paid more than the game itself is capable of bringing in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Manangatang 3rds is much cheaper, better standard, bonus biffo, and anyone can enjoy a beer and yell at the ump without being lectured to by amateur social engineers or helicopter mums about how it effects their nose picking 8yo's feelings.
i.e. U can relax and enjoy the footy.

Just hurry the hell up and start the season for christsake. We dont need to strike another cheap nasty quota pose to show how wonderfully diverse, culturally equivalent, sexually tolerant or gender undecided we are. Its just phukking football...if we pay good money we should at least receive a minimum quality of "half decent".

Its ok to call it what it really is....absolute s**t.

Last edited:
Manangatang 3rds is much cheaper, better standard, bonus biffo, and anyone can enjoy a beer and yell at the ump without being lectured to by amateur social engineers or helicopter mums about how it effects their nose picking 8yo's feelings.
i.e. U can relax and enjoy the footy.

Just hurry the hell up and start the season for christsake. We dont need to strike another cheap nasty quota pose to show how wonderfully diverse, culturally equivalent, sexually tolerant or gender undecided we are. If just phukking football...if we pay good money we should at least receive a minimum quality of "half decent".

Its ok to call it what it really is....absolute s**t.
And someone is forcing you to watch it are they?

Went to the freo game and really enjoyed it. I’d prefer they keep the same number of teams to keep improving the quality though.

Anyone saying it’s congested etc obviously hasn’t watched a men’s game recently - I thought it was a lot more free flowing.

Won't be long and women won't be playing women's sport anyway. Here is the future of women's sport if the SJW's get their way:

25864d37e0910e6844277ad97b7a063a

The look on that young girls face says it all really.

The media coverage is embarassing
Check out the 'athletes'

View attachment 621705
This is my main gripe, I’m all for women’s football however the media coverage is way over the top for amateur “athletes”. Give elite women’s sport more coverage and tone down the aflw coverage. Obviously the power of the afl in dictating what media covers is laid bare regarding aflw.

I am a man so I will get in early before this thread is locked, What did people expect ? These ladies work jobs
and juggle life balance, but their commitment to their sport is amazing and inspirational. Yeah some facets of
the game have been rushed, but it's simple supply and demand catered to a growth area. Take in some minor
history on the men's game and the first rules make AFLX look great. I watch it because I choose to and the
new rules the AFL introduced are quite good, pity it will take the coaches years to adapt. There are lessons
in all levels of football so I watch all levels of football, but it's my choice.
Good call. We plummeted to body shaming in record time.

Good call. We plummeted to body shaming in record time.
A couple of points:
1. How much attention does an elite male AFL player get when he returns to pre season training with skinfolds 2 or 3% more than they should be? They get smashed and we all hear about it. How much flak did Daniel Wells cop last year when he took to the field when he wasn't necessarily in prime condition?
2. Go down to any local game of male footy and listen to the flak an overweight player cops from their opponents and opposition supporters. As far as I'm aware it is not an offence to call someone fat, unless you're referring to a woman on a sporting field, and then you're a disgraceful body shamer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back