Vic Melbourne's Sudanese gangs

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not even sure why domestic violence gets raised so often in this thread.

Completely different area of concern.

Is it possible that 'normalised' violence within the home can, for impressionable youth, lead to acceptance of violence as a 'means to an end' outside it?

Home invasions are unacceptable. Getting beaten up in the streets of Melbourne by gangs is unacceptable.

Agree 100%. Whatever the source, wherever it comes from, it is unacceptable.

Is it possible that 'normalised' violence within the home can, for impressionable youth, lead to acceptance of violence as a 'means to an end' outside it?
Interesting point you raise there GS.

I'm not convinced these gang membgers are committing crime because of domestic violence. You could argue they have seen death and destruction back home. But then many of these kids are born here.

Lefties may argue the Gini coefficient is at play. These kids see there's no chance they are climbing any patriarchy controlled success ladder, so power through violence looks attractive to them.

Whatever the case may be, I don't really see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Interesting point you raise there GS.

I'm not convinced these gang membgers are committing crime because of domestic violence. You could argue they have seen death and destruction back home. But then many of these kids are born here.

Lefties may argue the Gini coefficient is at play. These kids see there's no chance they are climbing any patriarchy controlled success ladder, so power through violence looks attractive to them.

Whatever the case may be, I don't really see any light at the end of the tunnel.

See, this screams out to me that these kids and teens need role models and hope and actual goals in their lives to work towards, something that some of them are obviously lacking at the moment. They're not buying in to the education system and crime seems an easy way to relative comfort. Our police force works as a crime deterrent in only a limited way and they deal with the aftermath of said crime within the courts of course, but childhood intervention and assistance programs might well be the coalface of the problem. Prevention is always better than cure.

The end goal of schooling after all is to educate a future generation of taxpayers who will in turn feed the system, so it's in the state's best interests to stop as many youth as possible from slipping through the cracks and turning to crime. No matter what background they come from.

Of course.

But it’s been turned into a political issue by nationalists.

If people look at criminal issues, but ignore criminological aspects of the issue, then you can pretty much ignore them mate.

The Sudanese 15-24 year old, unemployed demographic is significant, and any cultural group with similiar stats would be exhibiting similiar criminological trends.

I agree with you that we can only conclude that any other criticisms are racially and/or nationalistically based opinions, unless someone can produce anything else solid to back up this matter.

Post 3506.

A

It's true that younger people are over-represented in the crime stats eg 18-24 year olds make up 11% of the general population but commit 20% of the crime. And also true that the Sudanese born living in Australia have a younger demographic - 18-24 year olds make up 19% of their population. So you would expect a slightly higher crime rate for Sudanese born.

B

It does not go anywhere near explaining how 0.16% of Victoria's population commit 8.5% of aggravated robberies (using physical force to steal something from someone whilst armed with a dangerous weapon). That 0.16% is the number of Sudanese born, both male and female. The crimes are nearly all committed by males.

Hang on a minute!

You have utilised age demographics (A) and then compared them with entire population demographics (B)!

Hang on a minute!

You have utilised age demographics (A) and then compared them with entire population demographics (B)!

Yeah my bad. Population demographic B is the entire Sudanese born community comprising 0.16% of Victoria's population. Let's assume there is a 50/50 male female ratio, and 14-24 year olds make up 50% of that population. If young Sudanese males are the ones committing the violent crimes it means that a demographic comprising about 0.04% of Victoria's population is committing 8.5% of aggravated robberies in Victoria.

Yeah my bad. Population demographic B is the entire Sudanese born community comprising 0.16% of Victoria's population. Let's assume there is a 50/50 male female ratio, and 14-24 year olds make up 50% of that population. If young Sudanese males are the ones committing the violent crimes it means that a demographic comprising about 0.04% of Victoria's population is committing 8.5% of aggravated robberies in Victoria.

The stat you need is the 15-24 year Sudanese demographic committing a certain crime and the percentage of that age group in the entire Sudanese population, compared to the total 15-24 year demographic of the total population committing that same crime.

Anything else is pretty much statistically useless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See, this screams out to me that these kids and teens need role models and hope and actual goals in their lives to work towards, something that some of them are obviously lacking at the moment. They're not buying in to the education system and crime seems an easy way to relative comfort. Our police force works as a crime deterrent in only a limited way and they deal with the aftermath of said crime within the courts of course, but childhood intervention and assistance programs might well be the coalface of the problem. Prevention is always better than cure.

The end goal of schooling after all is to educate a future generation of taxpayers who will in turn feed the system, so it's in the state's best interests to stop as many youth as possible from slipping through the cracks and turning to crime. No matter what background they come from.
It's a huge shame that the state is doing extremely to address the inconvenient truth that the juvenile justice system is too crowded to function as anything more than a weekend away from your parents, or that child protection services, particularly those programs aimed at dealing with specific cultural groups, are failing dismally to remove children from at-risk situations because there's a lack of alternative housing options available. I wholeheartedly agree it is not a problem of certain races or cultures; that doesn't mean we don't have a problem.

Meanwhile our schools are so crowded with new buildings and backyards have become so small that there's no room for sporting or leisure and kids have nothing to do in their neighborhood after school but sit around and commit crimes. Parents now have so little respect for teachers that kids no longer have clear & consistent boundaries between the right and wrong behavior at school and at home. More inconvenient truths that we don't want to accept.

His take on the Sudanese would make your eye's water. "Send the campaigners back where they came from" was one of his kinder words for them.

Do you ever think it's strange, that everyone in your social circle, is a racist ****head?

Do you wonder if you have something in common?

I just hang out with tradies not intellectual giants like you with NFI
Calling all Sudanese "campaigners", and it being the kindest word for them...
You're trying to smear tradies with that?

Have you ever spent time with an actual tradie over the last 4 years? Majority would tell you to pull your ******* head in.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Fat Yak, post: 59576019, member: 184732"]I just hang out with tradies not intellectual giants like you with NFI
Calling all Sudanese "campaigners", and it being the kindest word for them...
You're trying to smear tradies with that?

Have you ever spent time with an actual tradie over the last 4 years? Majority would tell you to pull your ******* head in.
[/QUOTE]

Every day sunshine, every day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back