Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree, and it's clear the club does too. Hence why Ellis was dropped from the ones, rather than moved back to the wing.

In a game plan which has revolved around actual and perceived pressure, Kmac's size, presence and aggression is invaluable. He may not take a tonne of marks for a guy who often has a mismatch, but he hits the packs hard, tackles hard and does the 1%ers really well (averages almost double the 1%ers as Ellis over the last few years).

Ellis has had some great games for us in the past (mostly 2+ years ago), but he has a lot of work to do to recapture his pre-2017 form. If he can't do that, a change of environment at the end of the year may be the best thing for club and player.
Kmac has good 1% numbers and that’s where it ends. Based on Nims spreadsheet. Ellis was the best pressure player in our defence. Leading with 10. Kmac had 13 which was 2 behind Grigg. this year kmac had less disposals than last year. And that’s coming off a low base.
We are now 3rd best team. Where does the improvement come from? Defence is fine. They are going well and there is depth. Fwd half changes will squeeze a player or 2 into the middle. Caddy is the one who takes Concas spot. And someone has to play Graham’s spot. I think we need other inclusions and based on 1 practice game it sounded like a couple of the new recruits were ready to go.

Last edited:
Kmac has good 1% numbers and that’s where it ends. Based on Nims spreadsheet. Ellis was the best pressure player in our defence. Leading with 10. Kmac had 13 which was 2 behind Grigg. this year kmac had less disposals than last year. And that’s coming off a low base.
We are now 3rd best team. Where does the improvement come from? Defence is fine. They are going well and there is depth. Fwd half changes will squeeze a player or 2 into the middle. Caddy is the one who takes Concas spot. And someone has to play Graham’s spot. I think we need other inclusions and based on 1 practice game it sounded like a couple of the new recruits were ready to go.
Why Graham place? He's not Long term injured.

ok, if you haven't seen this movie...pay attention when you do....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7008872/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

scroll down...after Joel Edgerton, you'll see Flea (yeah bit confusing), his character name in the movie is......Brandon Ellis...I kid you not

He plays a reformed crim but now is a hardarse taskmaster in a 'reeducation clinic'....anyway...no spoilers....

And thats why we should all deal with stats carefully.If Ellis was the best pressure player in defense then the process of utilising stats is wrong.

On McIntosh he runs hard and straight but fmd he doesnt actually lay a hell of a lot of tackles.

FMD the bloke is a wingman and defensive wing or not he doesnt have one outstanding attribute he hardly does the defensive stuff to a high enough standard let alone the offensive.

The one that gets me is he is 192cm and he took just 2 contested marks all yr playing against mostly smaller opponents.

He hardly wins a contested ball and he just doesnt get enough ball even if he was a tight tag. The worst part though is the constant fumbling under pressure the bloke at times seems like he has soap for hands.

There is nothing wrong with demanding blokes like McIntosh have a rounded game other wise we will have a team full of blokes who are bit players capable of performing half a role.

Last night I went and saw Rufus at the music bowl.

Was just enjoying the music when I look next to me and see Brando right next to me with his girlfriend and mates. I.barely recognised him without the blue paint all over his back.

Usually I don’t approach players or anything cos I’m worried about their reaction and they probably hate being bothered, but couldn’t help but say hello and shake his hand. Wanted a photo but I didn’t wanna ruin the vibe.

Have to say he was really good aboht ir, really friendly bloke who had time for some munted richmond fan like me haha!

He looks in bloody good shape too, A’s was pointed out to me by the girl who had been dancing with me, thst certainly took me down a peg

Last night I went and saw Rufus at the music bowl.

Was just enjoying the music when I look next to me and see Brando right next to me with his girlfriend and mates. I.barely recognised him without the blue paint all over his back.

Usually I don’t approach players or anything cos I’m worried about their reaction and they probably hate being bothered, but couldn’t help but say hello and shake his hand. Wanted a photo but I didn’t wanna ruin the vibe.

Have to say he was really good aboht ir, really friendly bloke who had time for some munted richmond fan like me haha!

He looks in bloody good shape too, A’s was pointed out to me by the girl who had been dancing with me, thst certainly took me down a peg
Looks to be in ripping nik from all the footage on the website and doing some inside work
Could be in for a big year and free agent who knows the blues or norf will come knocking imo

I hope we keep him, but I hope the reason we keep him is because he’s worth keeping.

Ipersonally reckon as it stands he’s worth holding on to.
Will be an interesting year for him. I also feel we'll see a big year from him. There is no doubt many players lift their intensity on the final year of contracts. With FA, that increases the motivation even more. Take Polec as an example, was playing like a spud at Brisbane, was let go cheaply, was cruising along at PA, and then when L0LN0rf came knocking, he went hyperbolic with his intensity.
So it's a win win for us with Brando. Let's hope he gets 'hungry for cash' and has a huge year!!
Whether we hold onto him or lose him, we end up with a good result then. If he cruises along like last year, he'll be in the VFL.

Not the perfect player by any accounts but the fact he is only 25 but played over 150 games shouldn’t be overlooked
This his the year when he should be entering his prime and I’m expecting a big season from him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the perfect player by any accounts but the fact he is only 25 but played over 150 games shouldn’t be overlooked
This his the year when he should be entering his prime and I’m expecting a big season from him
I reckon he will start the year in VFL and work his way in. But going to face stiff competition. Weller, Ross etc. I did see him play 1 game in the VFL, the loss vs Essendon. He was ordinary in that. but TBH He had about 20 mates. I think he can be good enough to find his way back to the midfield. but I wouldn't rush it. I'd give priority to the tall 193 wingers and midfielders

Has the type of character that will see him bounce back this year IMO. Best 22 when in his best form.

Do yourself a favor and go back to page 1 of this thread and read his draft profiles. Tough, elite kick, elite decision maker, contested ball winner. WTF happened :(

Has the type of character that will see him bounce back this year IMO. Best 22 when in his best form.

Do yourself a favor and go back to page 1 of this thread and read his draft profiles. Tough, elite kick, elite decision maker, contested ball winner. WTF happened :(
We tried to turn him into a defender, The guy is a wingman and thats his role
If we dont have a spot for him n the wing then better to let him leave end of the year and collect the Compo pick
Hope its Band 2

Looks to be in ripping nik from all the footage on the website and doing some inside work
Could be in for a big year and free agent who knows the blues or norf will come knocking imo

Not being disrespectful, but I would be interested only if he wasn't in ripping nick.
These guys are well-paid professionals, they are supposed to be in good nick and 99.9 per cent are ;)

To many people are quick to forget how he was performing for us a couple of seasons ago.

I think he has to go back onto the wing, if he can regain he confidence and give him a regular position as an outside midfielder he could genuinely have a really good season.

He still has a lot of upside!

Not being disrespectful, but I would be interested only if he wasn't in ripping nick.
These guys are well-paid professionals, they are supposed to be in good nick and 99.9 per cent are ;)
More talking about what he is doing in training and the passages of play rather than his physical appearance , Ellis has always been a good trainer and always presented perfectly in his physical conditioning.

Given Grigg probably won't be rucking this year, I really don't see why BEllis wouldn't be a straight swap from him. Certainly not knocking Grigg and his output since he's come to us - boy did we win that trade!

I'm just saying, given the rucking won't be a part of Grigg's role this year (I think?), I believe Ellis offers just as good, if not better 2 way running; is much younger; his contested work is arguably similar to Grigg's and he's a better overhead mark. Play him on the wing..

a lot of flak thrown at B Ellis past few seasons
he got introduced to the VFL last year as a slap on the risk

from all reports he's taken his fitness levels higher in the off season
which is part of having a real crack , the next part will be the JLT games
if he can introduce some hardness and a little more cool head under pressure we'd have all we can ask of him

then its up to the match committee to decide if that's top 22 stuff

a lot of flak thrown at B Ellis past few seasons
he got introduced to the VFL last year as a slap on the risk

from all reports he's taken his fitness levels higher in the off season
which is part of having a real crack , the next part will be the JLT games
if he can introduce some hardness and a little more cool head under pressure we'd have all we can ask of him

then its up to the match committee to decide if that's top 22 stuff

All I want to see out of B Ellis is to hit the contest as hard as he can, he's got the pace to out run most and the tank to go all day.

If he gets some campaigner into his game he'll go alright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back