Are you in the industry you wanted to be in in high school?

Remove this Banner Ad

Since about the age of 12, after playing in a footy team where 75% of my team were in and out of juvie (the Don Dale Corrections bus would literally drop them at training/games), i'd always wanted to be a police officer or do something to help at risk kids. Graduated high school, studied and graduated a Criminology degree..... then had kids and worked a cushy IT job whilst studying. Still stuck in that IT job now (7 years after highschool) , and am too scared/nervous to leave and chase my police dream. Would have to take a big paycut, and run the risk of it not working out and leaving my family at risk financially. Stuck in a rut!

Since about the age of 12, after playing in a footy team where 75% of my team were in and out of juvie (the Don Dale Corrections bus would literally drop them at training/games), i'd always wanted to be a police officer or do something to help at risk kids. Graduated high school, studied and graduated a Criminology degree..... then had kids and worked a cushy IT job whilst studying. Still stuck in that IT job now (7 years after highschool) , and am too scared/nervous to leave and chase my police dream. Would have to take a big paycut, and run the risk of it not working out and leaving my family at risk financially. Stuck in a rut!
Sounds like you had them young. Could work in your favour, by the time they're self sufficient you'll still be young enough to go and chase!

Do you have a mortgage or are you renting?

Sounds like you had them young. Could work in your favour, by the time they're self sufficient you'll still be young enough to go and chase!

Do you have a mortgage or are you renting?

Yeah mate had my first when i was 21 and second when i was 23, so they've come early and quickly. I wasn't even living in the same state as my partner when she got pregnant with our first (we did long distance for a long time). Being a young dad will have it's perks when they're older i guess, but it sucks now. Not too many dad's around my age A. with their heads screwed on or B. keen to hang out with other dads. And every little thing my son does wrong instantly gets pinged on his "young inexperienced parents" haha

And nah no mortgage yet unfortunately, just renting. Partner had some rough pregnancies and labours, so hasn't worked since the first was born! So there's nothing for us to fall back on, and no family close by for us to rely upon if we hit hard times. Im sort of just trying to save money as much as i can, get as fit as i can and do some community/ volunteering work until we are ready for me to get into it!

i might be missing something here, please clarify

hahahaha i read over that after i posted it and wondered if that would stand out. I used to fly from Darwin to Adelaide on the last weekend of every month to see her, so it timed (thankfully) to be around one of my visits (he was born 9 months after the 2014 grand final :drunk:)

1. Wanted to play AFL - played at a reasonably high level but too lazy
2. Then wanted to become a lawyer - A mix of being to lazy and not intelligent enough at high school
3. Worked as an accountant while studying after high school - Became bored after 5 years at an engineering firm - 3 years in Perth then internal transfer to Melbourne for 2
4. Then stuffed around for a year or 2 in Melbourne in a couple of crappy analyst type roles not knowing what I wanted to do and feeling sorry for myself after a long term relationship break up
5. Then moved from Melbourne to Sydney to take up a cushy government role as a Property Analyst - Always had a passion for property
6. Moved from the cushy government role in to a demanding role with a new Chinese Property Developer
7. Now in London as Head of Investment as a 30 yr old starting up the UK office for a Fortune 500 Company (same company as No. 6)

So not really what I saw myself doing when I was in school but absolutely love the work I do

Funny how things work out

2. Then wanted to become a lawyer - A mix of being to lazy and not intelligent enough at high school
3. Worked as an accountant while studying after high school - Became bored after 5 years at an engineering firm - 3 years in Perth then internal transfer to Melbourne for 2
4. Then stuffed around for a year or 2 in Melbourne in a couple of crappy analyst type roles not knowing what I wanted to do and feeling sorry for myself after a long term relationship break up
5. Then moved from Melbourne to Sydney to take up a cushy government role as a Property Analyst - Always had a passion for property
6. Moved from the cushy government role in to a demanding role with a new Chinese Property Developer
7. Now in London as Head of Investment as a 30 yr old starting up the UK office for a Fortune 500 Company (same company as No. 6)

So not really what I saw myself doing when I was in school but absolutely love the work I do

Great success story. Well done!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I wanted to be a cop.

I ended up working in mental health palliative care disability care aged care ect.

So many people in mental wrongly treated with medication and just made sicker.

When in mental health , The amount of people who were suicidal on Zoloft and efexor ect and then told they had biplor and given more dangerous drugs. It wasnt funny.

Efexor? Really? I was on that for depression for 5 years, went off it cold turkey 2 months ago which was very hard. Feel pretty good now and glad I did get off it.

no. wanted i.t, then after further study discovered i.t. didn't really interest me after all. now in the creative/arts industry where what i bothered to pick up in i.t. study or self-teaching comes in handy from time to time.

Last edited:

Well done, mate. Becoming a ceo in your sights?

My honest opinion - don't think about an industry as such - work out what drives you, what your passions are, and then do something that takes hold of that passion and it leads you into a career that you like. I think people can often get bogged down in following paths and applying for certain things to get somewhere else. Sometimes you need to smash the glass ceiling as such, and create your own pathway :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My honest opinion - don't think about an industry as such - work out what drives you, what your passions are, and then do something that takes hold of that passion and it leads you into a career that you like. I think people can often get bogged down in following paths and applying for certain things to get somewhere else. Sometimes you need to smash the glass ceiling as such, and create your own pathway :)

I'm a bit the other way. I'm in the data center industry which is experiencing double digit growth and will continue to explode, I'm really trying to stay within this vertical to ensure my future. I guess what drives me is providing a stable future for my family, would love to work in music or sport but this won't do that well enough.

I'm a bit the other way. I'm in the data center industry which is experiencing double digit growth and will continue to explode, I'm really trying to stay within this vertical to ensure my future. I guess what drives me is providing a stable future for my family, would love to work in music or sport but this won't do that well enough.
Yeah it comes down to personal circumstance and interest. For me, I spent a lot of time and money trying to push towards a dream, and I didn't focus on what the end-goal was as such, I just wanted to leave it untapped and know that what I was doing I loved, and it paid off with my hard work being recognised. But it is a case-by-case basis.

Finished school... all I wanted was a job that wasn't to stressful... 10 years at holdens then fell into winery work (which I quite enjoy as much as you can enjoy work) and been doing it 6 years now.

Your career is really a long journey (IMO) and long gone are the days of only ever having one job due to a dynamic workforce and industry. My first job was working as an electronics technician for a traffic management company and now I work in a commercial/contracts management role for a large global telecommunications provider.

Ive been back to uni as a post grad, changed job roles a number of times and had no idea of the industry I wanted to work in when I first started out.

Since I was young my old man always told me if I stuffed up in school or fell out of line he would make me work for him - I ended up sort of using that offer as an excuse to flunk school and have a terrible attendance record in my last two years. I don't regret how I applied myself then because before I started doing that I was seriously trying to think of what I wanted to do and also weighed up if the work to get there was going to be worth it or ultimately put me off by the time I'm in that position.

So by the end of HS, I had no ideal work environment to be apart of and decided to work under my father with close to zero interest in the field prior.

It ended up being a good gamble taking on a hands on intensive job where the only lure at the time was the pay and actually having a job. Down the track a rare opening eventually came up within the company, I was basically handed that opportunity because of my old man's position and now I work my own hours, earn a pay comparable to his despite being 1/2 his age and having 1/8 the experience, qualifications and skill set he does AND have been given opportunities to travel - this part only because he doesn't fly at all.

So I went somewhere because I had no other option, ended up liking it.

In year 12 at the moment, really set on doing Civil Engineering. Did it for work experience and I loved it, but my biggest fear is getting into it and hating it. Reading a lot of the comments on here I can't help but I feel I might just be on this thread in 10 years time saying the same thing. I love city building video games and so i am hoping to someday get into a town planning position.

Get into construction Management. More enjoyable and better money too.
In year 12 at the moment, really set on doing Civil Engineering. Did it for work experience and I loved it, but my biggest fear is getting into it and hating it. Reading a lot of the comments on here I can't help but I feel I might just be on this thread in 10 years time saying the same thing. I love city building video games and so i am hoping to someday get into a town planning position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back