Radio 1116 SEN 2023 Line-up

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Damn me dead, Sen are off the air yet again. As I said, perhaps Hutchers should divert some of his revenue to paying for better tech gear and staff
But the ads, the ads... they never stop

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I miss the old sen, pre hutchy. I won't deny it. Most times I listen now it doesn't sound the same. Everytime i was in the car it used to be locked on to 1116, not anymore.
Same

Its a shame, but same.

And forget evenings. Don’t even turn the radio on anymore.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Me, neeva. No Finey left such a whole in my listening "commitments" (not that I listened to all of his show) that I started listening to the podcasts of Ross and John on 3aw again. HA
Same.

Ross on 3AW is a genius at his profession.

Biggest blunder SEN made was moving Fine on.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seems like the majority view is that hutchy has stuffed the station
Proof

Pudding.

Eating (listening).

With Hutchy can’t deny his ambition, his drive, his scope.

Unfortunately for him he lacks likability* ; and the deeper intelligence of being a radio genius. Eg just because he loves US Sports doesn’t mean it will double his audience.

* likability matters in as much as loyal SEN listeners like me don’t have a vested interest in him succeeding, we want SEN to be s success but if we don’t like the direction then having Hutchy be the driver is not enough to keep us invested.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Proof

Pudding.

Eating (listening).

With Hutchy can’t deny his ambition, his drive, his scope.

Unfortunately for him he lacks likability* ; and the deeper intelligence of being a radio genius. Eg just because he loves US Sports doesn’t mean it will double his audience.

* likability matters in as much as loyal SEN listeners like me don’t have a vested interest in him succeeding, we want SEN to be s success but if we don’t like the direction then having Hutchy be the driver is not enough to keep us invested.
Don't worry about US sports , he's doing a great job , with footy and cricket. Great commentators .

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don't worry about US sports , he's doing a great job , with footy and cricket. Great commentators .
Ok.
That’s nice.

(Very good footy commentary overall, Spud is woeful drags the place down, Cricket was good too.)

Re the direction the station is going in and the personnel changes discussions above I think-

1. The commitment to live coverage of sports deserves a big tick.

The monotonic and slavishly pro Langer "Fleas" (Katich) aside, I thought coverage of the Tests was great. Whately was a standout. Less enthused by the Tower of BBL coverage. Huddo's over enthusiastic calling did not help. Bobby Quiney by contrast, is a real talent and hope he gets a greater role. Sounds as if SEN will cover the Ashes, which will be great.

Have listened to some of the NBL coverage and that has been ok. I think basketball is challenging to call on radio. I am appalled at the idea of Gaze returning in any capacity, even calling basketball.

I can understand the decision to cover live soccer but the coverage is as mediocre as the League itself. The BBC coverage of EPL, which can be heard some nights of on ABC News Radio is great quality and provides a stark contrast.

2. The Personnel at SEN are a mixed bag of lollies

On the positives I will often listen to Whately. He is knowledgeable and a fine interviewer.

The Brekky Show is ok. At least Lyon has broader sporting interests than Watson. The two work well together and Watson can be amusing.
"Ducks for cover", I admit to enjoy listening to Murphy and Pickers.

Agree with comments bagging Danny Frawley. Like the appalling Gaze, it is simply not enough to be a good bloke. You have to offer something.

By contrast I am sceptical about the good bloke qualities Riewoldt possesses. Like his mentor, the grotesque Grant Thomas, I find him overwhelmingly negative and on permanent humour by-pass.

I don't mind Andy Maher. Yes, his long winded interviewing style is 'unusual' but like Whately he is a sports nut and easy enough to listen to.

Like many, the evening programming has never recovered from the loss of Mark Fine. I rarely listen nowadays.

3 The claims to the station being live radio are now far fetched.

In any recent 24 hour period, there are now 3-4 hours of repeats. The interminable repeats of shows I have zero interest in such as the car races show and particularly 'This Sporting Life' seem to be a strategy to drum up more business for Tobin Bros, by boring people to death.

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
Some shocking news to all radio listeners...quite frightening really, but you all need to know...

Andrew Gaze will not be coaching basketball after this season..be afraid.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/baske...e/news-story/39a71ad04422cc36c2aa2f9460603a83

This could be good news for those wishing for the pre-Hutchy SEN to be back. Gaze may reunite with Maher to reprise their old breakfast show for afternoons!

Would likely tip Dal Santo and Wallace out of a gig, but there are always winners and losers in change.

Still wouldn’t entice me to listen though!

No disputing Gazes talent as a player, and to those who pot him as a coach, my comeback would be he is a better coach than media performer.

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
Speak of the devil and he is standing at the gate.

The grotesque Thomas is appearing on the Brekky Show this morning.

Sure signs a show has done little preparation or struggling for content.

1 Quote and reference Grant Thomas. Bonus points for discussing content he is musing about that took place 10+ years ago
2 Quote or reference Sam Newman
3 Who was the best number xx
4 Turning “Bobservations” into a singalong format

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just listened to one of the more self gratuitous segments Ive ever heard with Wakely and Blight. Basically patting themselves on the back on the rule changes making coaches think more critically now and using personnel to stop opposition sides rather than systems. lol

Shrugging their shoulders at Brad Scotts comments that poor sides are going to cop some absolute beltings, stating that thrashings have been happening in our game forever - wasnt the catalyst for these changes the state of the game? seeing poor sides get belted by even more(and they will)cant be good for the state of the game

Back