Secondary Keen on Civil Engineering

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
G'day guys,

I'm in Year 12 at the moment and now is a good time to start planning for next year. Ever since work experience I've had my heart set on doing something in the field of Civil Engineering and have been looking at a handful of universities.

Deakin Uni has stuck out to me the most as it seems relatively easier to get into and is fairly close to home.

Some of the other Unis such as Monash offer a similar course but the indicative ATAR is much higher, probably a bit too out of my reach.

Anyway, just want to know if anyone on here has done Civil at uni and what their recommendation is. Probably a shot in the dark but any advice would be cool.

I finished Civ Eng at Adelaide Uni two years ago.

ATAR requirements (in SA at least) are lowered for students who complete Advanced Mathematics and/or a Foreign Language class. The VCE might have something similar to make Monash more attainable for you.

I wouldn't stress too much about which Uni you pick - there's usually a lot of flexibility in transferring from one to another, and a lot of students change degrees after first year anyway. All I can say about Deakin v Monash is that Monash is a bit more prestigious, and if you're interested by it: it has a special focus on traffic engineering (I've thought about doing postgrad there.)

Last edited:
My only advice, from experience, is that if you go to Uni then don’t do it in your home town. It’s the easiest option but the least fulfilling.

My only advice, from experience, is that if you go to Uni then don’t do it in your home town. It’s the easiest option but the least fulfilling.
By town do you mean in the Melbourne area in general? I think the closest uni to where I live would probably be Deakin in Burwood.

By town do you mean in the Melbourne area in general? I think the closest uni to where I live would probably be Deakin in Burwood.
I guess it’s different for me as I grew up in England. I went to uni in my home town before packing it in about 3 months later. I lived at home and walked 20 mins up the road to the uni. I wish I’d been a bit bolder and moved away from home. I’m sure I would have gotten more out of it. I might even have stuck with the course.

I guess it’s different for me as I grew up in England. I went to uni in my home town before packing it in about 3 months later. I lived at home and walked 20 mins up the road to the uni. I wish I’d been a bit bolder and moved away from home. I’m sure I would have gotten more out of it. I might even have stuck with the course.

UK students change cities a lot more readily than here. It's harder to do in Australia simply due to distance.

As an alternative to doing uni outside of Melbourne, I would recommend OP does a semester or two of study abroad. It's a profound personal experience, wherever you go, and especially valuable if not doing a gap year. Can also get a HECS loan of about $7K if finances are an issue.

Interesting you say that then because the Civil Engineering course im interested in will require me to goto their Geelong Campus for the last 2 years of it. I'd be keen to do something like that, especially with the new transport infrastructure being built there means it will be a lot easier to get around to there and back. If I get that opportunity, I'll grab it with both hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back