Goulburn Valley FL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean by stronger identity ringo? A higher profile coach for example?

A stronger club. I know is hard to manufacture support, rivalries etc but the other Shepp based clubs should hate going over the bridge. I just think the Cats need the town to get behind them. A high profile coach can help if its the right person.

A stronger club. I know is hard to manufacture support, rivalries etc but the other Shepp based clubs should hate going over the bridge. I just think the Cats need the town to get behind them. A high profile coach can help if its the right person.

Anyone heard if they found a suitable applicant that they were seeking to be an playing assistant in 2019 and take over the reigns next year?

Think you’ll find you’re way off the mark there ringo in terms of not having support! Mooroopna would be one of the larger supported clubs in the comp, they also have a massive rivalry with United that dates back to the 85 & 86 grand finals! They need to get the next coach right, we’ve seen things turn quickly for a club like echuca with the signing of walker, got to remember the cats knocked off echuca in one of the last rounds of the year in 2017 ringo. The wheel will turn for the cats

Last edited:
Mate 2017 was awhile ago. No doubt they have a rivalry with United but what about the other clubs in Shepp and Swans? No doubt the wheel will turn but Echuca had a better list, hadn't dropped to the bottom rungs and had greater depth. Unfortunately, the wheel turns very slowly under the current system for teams down the wrong end. A strong Mooroopna would do wonders for the comp but when they recruit a young player from Rushworth and he soaks up a heap of points it shows how wrong and hard it is for teams to progress.

Mate 2017 was awhile ago. No doubt they have a rivalry with United but what about the other clubs in Shepp and Swans? No doubt the wheel will turn but Echuca had a better list, hadn't dropped to the bottom rungs and had greater depth. Unfortunately, the wheel turns very slowly under the current system for teams down the wrong end. A strong Mooroopna would do wonders for the comp but when they recruit a young player from Rushworth and he soaks up a heap of points it shows how wrong and hard it is for teams to progress.
I understand 2017 was a long time ago, the point I’m making is that echuca where shot at the end of 2017 (I’m just using echuca as an example cause that’s the only team I can think of for this point), they appoint Walker at the end of that year and they end up a game away from a granny! The cats have lost a lot of very good “locals” I won’t say 1 pointers cause I hate the term 😉 but I believe if the cats appoint the right bloke and get back a lot of the locals they’ll push back up the ladder pretty quickly! You can rest easy ringo I’m pretty sure that theres a lot of hate for the shepp sides from within mooroopna and I’m sure it goes the other way with the shepp clubs. And as for players coming from kdl/pdl to the gv and being more then 2 points is a joke, these blokes are coming to a major comp to better themselves and the clubs they go to are being punished for it!

I understand 2017 was a long time ago, the point I’m making is that echuca where shot at the end of 2017 (I’m just using echuca as an example cause that’s the only team I can think of for this point), they appoint Walker at the end of that year and they end up a game away from a granny! The cats have lost a lot of very good “locals” I won’t say 1 pointers cause I hate the term 😉 but I believe if the cats appoint the right bloke and get back a lot of the locals they’ll push back up the ladder pretty quickly! You can rest easy ringo I’m pretty sure that theres a lot of hate for the shepp sides from within mooroopna and I’m sure it goes the other way with the shepp clubs. And as for players coming from kdl/pdl to the gv and being more then 2 points is a joke, these blokes are coming to a major comp to better themselves and the clubs they go to are being punished for it!

Who are these locals you talk of? IMO Echuca were always abit of s sleeping giant with all their good young talent but I don’t view mooroopna in the same way.

Who are these locals you talk of? IMO Echuca were always abit of s sleeping giant with all their good young talent but I don’t view mooroopna in the same way.
Off the top of my head johnno I can name a few
Joe Sullivan ex vc
Dean smith ex b&f winner gv rep
Alex tattersall ex bushies
Ryan kilpatrick ex bushies
Keelin Betson ex pioes b&f
Ajak dang ex bushies
Kane Atkinson ex capt
Simon Russell ex vc (I think)
Kaine Herbert has won 2 league medals since he’s left
Dylan johnstone kicked 80 odd goals in the bendigo league in 2016 and was in the vic country squad that year

That’s just to name a few, there are lot more depth players over the last few years under Osborne’s watch that have left like
Dylan Cornick
Rhys Mckenzie
Charlie burrows (may have won goalkicking in the pdfl)
Trent herbert
Ashley Thompson (won the pdlf medal)
Jake Cormick

If there able to keep this years team together plus add say 7-8 of those locals back and then all of a sudden there back up running.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Echuca, however, were not shot or as far back as Mooroopna are or were. I think they need to appoint an experienced coach with a reputation for developing existing players, an ability to build the culture and attract some players.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Echuca, however, were not shot or as far back as Mooroopna are or were. I think they need to appoint an experienced coach with a reputation for developing existing players, an ability to build the c ulture and attract some players.
They were shot for a few years after the Cats rolled them in the 2011 prelim and all the players left , took seven years to get back to finals.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Echuca, however, were not shot or as far back as Mooroopna are or were. I think they need to appoint an experienced coach with a reputation for developing existing players, an ability to build the culture and attract some players.

Alot of good players have left Mooroopna as ThirdMan Up has pointed out, however they must be doing something right with their juniors, Oliver,Simpkin,Drummond, Vandermeer AFL players, also now Bec Webster AFLW, their junior talent has been great, U16 Premiers 2017... it takes time for these kids to come through... I think Blake Campbell had them on the right track, before his young fella was ill... they had to replace him and things havnt gone their way with the choice of coach. There sure is a rivalry between Shepp and Mooroopna, the United rivalry is borderline hate!!! A few wins on the board will attract better players to the club, there is a great community spirit towards the club, to say their isnt is so far from the truth... Everything is set up for the club, hands down best facilities within the league with two ovals available at anytime and plans of making another one out the back, best lights in the league, once the club get some wins, things will turn around...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Off the top of my head johnno I can name a few
Joe Sullivan ex vc
Dean smith ex b&f winner gv rep
Alex tattersall ex bushies
Ryan kilpatrick ex bushies
Keelin Betson ex pioes b&f
Ajak dang ex bushies
Kane Atkinson ex capt
Simon Russell ex vc (I think)
Kaine Herbert has won 2 league medals since he’s left
Dylan johnstone kicked 80 odd goals in the bendigo league in 2016 and was in the vic country squad that year

That’s just to name a few, there are lot more depth players over the last few years under Osborne’s watch that have left like
Dylan Cornick
Rhys Mckenzie
Charlie burrows (may have won goalkicking in the pdfl)
Trent herbert
Ashley Thompson (won the pdlf medal)
Jake Cormick

If there able to keep this years team together plus add say 7-8 of those locals back and then all of a sudden there back up running.
I reckon Mooroopna really struggled after Campbell had to resign. That would never have been part of the clubs projected plans. When did Blake leave? (As in Mark Blake) The last time I recall a strong Mooroopna was while he was there when he led the Cats to a victory against a strong Rochy at Moon Oval. Cats supporters were ecstatic! I believe ex-Rochy league delegate Brayden Aitken is involved with Mooroopna this year. If true, like his old man Rob, he is a top man to have around a footy club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mooroopna are certainly an interesting Club on the surface so much potential with super facilities strong following when atleast going ok and led to believe they are normally in a sound position financially. They've had very little success in all Football and Netball grades in their entire history which points to culture/possibly admin. Short term Results and Data that Thirdman has presented makes you wonder why they went with Osborne again they clearly need a fresh start. In saying that Osborne took the job when no one wanted it and at a time the Club was looking to ease back spending so it was a tough climate in a tough condition but the time was right for something fresh at Catland.

Mooroopna are certainly an interesting Club on the surface so much potential with super facilities strong following when atleast going ok and led to believe they are normally in a sound position financially. They've had very little success in all Football and Netball grades in their entire history which points to culture/possibly admin. Short term Results and Data that Thirdman has presented makes you wonder why they went with Osborne again they clearly need a fresh start. In saying that Osborne took the job when no one wanted it and at a time the Club was looking to ease back spending so it was a tough climate in a tough condition but the time was right for something fresh at Catland.

Their facilities would certainly be more accommodating for supporters for the GV Grand Final

I reckon Mooroopna really struggled after Campbell had to resign. That would never have been part of the clubs projected plans. When did Blake leave? (As in Mark Blake) The last time I recall a strong Mooroopna was while he was there when he led the Cats to a victory against a strong Rochy at Moon Oval. Cats supporters were ecstatic! I believe ex-Rochy league delegate Brayden Aitken is involved with Mooroopna this year. If true, like his old man Rob, he is a top man to have around a footy club.

Might want to check out their Facebook page, they have just announced Hudson Thomas from Nobel Park and Frankston VFL as their Senior Assistant Playing Coach. Thats 3 boys from Melbourne... looks like they have been active with some recruiting!

I never said they had no community support...said that they need the town to embrace the club and the club the community. Acknowledge they have good support but feel they are a sleeping giant...just need a poke. As for clubs banging on about junior success this rarely translates into senior success. The best juniors leave for higher standards such as the VFL if not drafted. Yes The cats have produced some crackers but they may not be seen again.

In October 2018 Tom Bennett of Benalla was reported in the Bendigo Advertiser as being a key signing for Sandhurst. On the Goulburn Valley website he is listed as being cleared to the Northern Football League in November 2018, only one moth later.

Assuming I have the facts right does anyone know what happened?

Does that mean he will simply be cleared straight to Sandhurst?

I took it, (being cleared to the Northern Football League so soon after the Advertiser story), as a change of mind due to say work or personal circumstances. However I have no idea, hence my query.

Does anyone know what happened?

I took it, (being cleared to the Northern Football League so soon after the Advertiser story), as a change of mind due to say work or personal circumstances. However I have no idea, hence my query.

Does anyone know what happened?

He moved to Melbourne. Playing down there

I never said they had no community support...said that they need the town to embrace the club and the club the community. Acknowledge they have good support but feel they are a sleeping giant...just need a poke. As for clubs banging on about junior success this rarely translates into senior success. The best juniors leave for higher standards such as the VFL if not drafted. Yes The cats have produced some crackers but they may not be seen again.
Have to say that from my perspective I’ve notice a consistent and regular flow out the door at Mooroopna of their local talent. Over the years they have lost some sensational junior players to regional clubs as far away as Bonnie Doon and Cobram. For them to really start moving forward they need to stem the flow and retain as many of these boys as possible. Great effort in having input into the development of draftees but these are the exception rather then the norm. Could be a while before their next one as I can’t identify any potential elite boys from the 18”s, 16’s or 14’s. I don’t say this as a slur as I believe most of the other GVFL clubs would be similar. Currently I believe they still have young Sykes and Carn in the mix for a Bushies gig but in my opinion they would both struggle at TAC level. Good luck to the Cats and hopefully they can start moving up the ladder.

The mooroopna cats have been heavily debated at late which has been quite Refreshing!! The facts remain that it’s been a 32 year drought since their 85 and 86 premierships that consisted of
nearly all home grown players with the exception of the brilliant coach and player Chris Smith and in those 32 years they have put together some great sides with some big spending along the way but just couldn’t get that elusive flag and in that time every other club has won at least one flag.As I see it an up and about mooroopna has always been great for the league but to see the cats as a power once again just won’t happen in the short term as the dreaded salary cap and points system for a start just won’t allow it But I believe this proud club with great people involved and with magnificent ammenities could once again be a power house
A high profile coach to retain and attract players is a must

The mooroopna cats have been heavily debated at late which has been quite Refreshing!! The facts remain that it’s been a 32 year drought since their 85 and 86 premierships that consisted of
nearly all home grown players with the exception of the brilliant coach and player Chris Smith and in those 32 years they have put together some great sides with some big spending along the way but just couldn’t get that elusive flag and in that time every other club has won at least one flag.As I see it an up and about mooroopna has always been great for the league but to see the cats as a power once again just won’t happen in the short term as the dreaded salary cap and points system for a start just won’t allow it But I believe this proud club with great people involved and with magnificent ammenities could once again be a power house
A high profile coach to retain and attract players is a must

Spot on Scribe, its been a long time between drinks for the Cats. So they have the longest Premiership drought atm? Euroa would be the next club behind them on that list and then it would almost be Echuca.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back