Music The Hangar Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure where this has been my whole life, but glad I found it.

Burzum - Is there any other Burzum tracks that sound even remotely like this? Also spent (wasted) a couple of hours watching his YouTube channel the other day. What a guy, hah.

Burzum - Is there any other Burzum tracks that sound even remotely like this? Also spent (wasted) a couple of hours watching his YouTube channel the other day. What a guy, hah.

Varg is an... Interesting guy with some uhhh views (well that and he's a convicted murderer), to say the least. Def turns me off listening to Burzum's stuff. Seems like a lot of those views are common among European and more specifically Nordic black metal bands.

I came across a french BM band called Peste Noir and I was really digging it musically and I'm not really one to really care too much about lyrical content, and certainly go seek out translations when they're not in English but I saw one of their clips and was like "hmmm, something seems a bit off here" and went deep diving more into the band, and yeh, lol, not great....

None of this answers what you were looking for, but eh.

Last edited:

Is it the grittiness that you're after? You'll probably only find that on demos. I have both the demos if you'd like me to upload them for you. I'd suggest you listen to Burzum/Aske, Det som engang var, Hvis lyset tar oss, and Filosofem. Burzum/Aske is more typical black metal which he began to branch off from and started incorporating more ambient music into his sound. Definitely listen to Det som engang var, Hvis lyset tar oss, and Filosofem though.

Varg is an... Interesting guy with some uhhh views (well that and he's a convicted murderer), to say the least. Def turns me off listening to Burzum's stuff. Seems like a lot of those views are common among European and more specifically Nordic black metal bands.

I came across a french BM band called Peste Noir and I was really digging it musically and I'm not really one to really care too much about lyrical content, and certainly go seek out translations when they're not in English but I saw one of their clips and was like "hmmm, something seems a bit off here" and went deep diving more into the band, and yeh, lol, not great....

None of this answers what you were looking for, but eh.
Spent some time reading about Varg and Mayhem and their associated history last night. Jesus wept..

Is it the grittiness that you're after? You'll probably only find that on demos. I have both the demos if you'd like me to upload them for you. I'd suggest you listen to Burzum/Aske, Det som engang var, Hvis lyset tar oss, and Filosofem. Burzum/Aske is more typical black metal which he began to branch off from and started incorporating more ambient music into his sound. Definitely listen to Det som engang var, Hvis lyset tar oss, and Filosofem though.

I listened to as much of these as I could handle this morning and I have to ask, what is it that you like about it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spent some time reading about Varg and Mayhem and their associated history last night. Jesus wept..
Yeah, pretty interesting cast of characters to say the least, his youtube channel sure is something. Clearly a pretty intelligent dude but just with some very different ideals.

Can't pretend to understand that but thanks for answering anyway.
I don't think you can by throwing yourself in the deep end like you did if you've never really worked your way up to listening to that style of music. It's too jarring, especially coming from the sort of stuff you've posted about enjoying in here that I've seen. Like, I listen to BM and a bunch of sub genres associated with it but I've listened to metal predominantly as my favourite style of music and went further down the rabbit hole over time and def not something I'd show to my friends or whoever if they wern't already into other types of metal on the more extreme side.

I love metal but never been able to get into true black metal. Modern extreme metal from bands like Portal make Burzum seem relatively tame by comparison.

Each to their own though, and that's what's great about music. If we all liked the same thing it'd be boring and music wouldn't evolve.

I'm not that big on many Norwegian black metal bands. Besides Burzum, Darkthrone and perhaps some Mayhem and Ulver, none of the bands are that interesting to me.

Some forms of black metal I like.

Agalloch is one example, described as " Mixing black metal with atmospheric textures, gothic doom, and neo-folk and post-rock touches" with their album The Mantle being my favourite. I especially find it really easy background music when at work.

Stone's Reach by Be'Lakor out of Melbourne is an album in a similar-ish vein, though I haven't listened to anything else from their catalogue.

Traditional black metal and the evolution in that true Norwegian black metal sense isn't to my tastes though.

Agalloch is one example, described as " Mixing black metal with atmospheric textures, gothic doom, and neo-folk and post-rock touches" with their album The Mantle being my favourite. I especially find it really easy background music when at work.

Stone's Reach by Be'Lakor out of Melbourne is an album in a similar-ish vein, though I haven't listened to anything else from their catalogue.

Traditional black metal and the evolution in that true Norwegian black metal sense isn't to my tastes though.
I've been revisiting Agalloch a lot recently. Really is great, late night while browsing and reading stuff on the internet kind of music.

One of the things I don't get is the ethos appears to be that it should be recorded with zero production values and you should pick the gear or combo of gear that gives the worst result hence Varg choosing the microphone in a set of headphones to record one of his works. There's not meant to be any bass at all so I'm not sure why Necrobutcher is a thing. Easiest job in the world maybe? The riffs are barely discernable as a result. The lyrics wouldn't be understood even if you could speak the language as they're being screamed through a 5c microphone made in China that wasn't at all designed to be used in such a manner and the overall atmosphere that this all seems to create is one of utter misery that only ends by turning it off.

One of the things I don't get is the ethos appears to be that it should be recorded with zero production values and you should pick the gear or combo of gear that gives the worst result hence Varg choosing the microphone in a set of headphones to record one of his works. There's not meant to be any bass at all so I'm not sure why Necrobutcher is a thing. Easiest job in the world maybe? The riffs are barely discernable as a result. The lyrics wouldn't be understood even if you could speak the language as they're being screamed through a 5c microphone made in China that wasn't at all designed to be used in such a manner and the overall atmosphere that this all seems to create is one of utter misery that only ends by turning it off.
Not into the whole recorded inside a tin can aesthetic :p? I'm not super into it either, but there's also something pretty gross to the other end of the spectrum of really crisp, over produced metal that can give it a really generic and bland feeling. http://www.nitwitty.net/reboot/lo-fi-production-black-metal/ That might be a good read for you.

I was a bit of an 80s/early 90s metalhead back in the day and while I will always appreciate the technical/musicianship of the genre I have had little desire for the listening experience for well over 20 yrs now. There are exceptions though. Tool is as heavy as I go for full immersion but there are nostalgic albums that I return to from time to time in the car or doing the dishes etc.

Then I struck upon Agalloch and I have to say it has really got its hooks into me. Very atmospheric and like most good music, transports you to another place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back