News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, let’s be honest. Drugs are ‘rife’ throughout the AFL. So I’m not suprised by the allegations. I’m just ******* pissed that GT randomly comes out and drags our clubs reputation through the mud after all the hard work we’ve done off field to rebuild it. Get back in your box and roll another ‘joint’ you irrelevant hypocrite!!

I wouldn't wipe my arse with that Pelchen article. The bloke is one of the biggest frauds in the AFL, completely rooted our list and now goes and writes articles about how bad it is like he's some bloody genius. That article is one of the biggest case of Monday's Experts I've seen.
Agree there lewdogs…..I have to say that at the time....I thought his method and rationale was sound......the Hawks had done it(his list planning) so why couldn't we.

As time has gone on.....the realization was that it hadn't worked....which was gut wrenching.

I get the Sunday Age each week and was gobsmacked that he received a double page spread to forecast each team for this year and thru 2022.

Thru 2022....that's absolutely crazy !!!!!!

Give the man a dart board for heavens sake.

I take most media "experts" forecasts with a grain of salt......NO ONE in the dozens and dozens of media "experts" could even pick the flag winner for the last 3 seasons.

That’s why this pre-season, I’m not reading anything coming out of the club, from yet another Richo pre-season “awakening” (after his Harvard, yoga and All-Blacks ones) to “Paddy is flying”.
Good call there Narkles…….I have to say that when reading the article on Richo…....I thought how many pre season "awakenings" has he had.

I'm no expert but after 5 years as the senior coach....I was a little gobsmacked at some of the things he now realizes...after 5 years as senior coach.

But I guess......evolution and learning is an ongoing thing.

It will be extremely interesting to see how he goes this season......

There's a boutique roaster in the back blocks of the Cheltenham industrial area.

Maybe that's where it's from.

Batch coffee roasters.

2A Viking Crt
Thanks for that VDS66.

Next time I'm at the club....I'll ask where they source their coffee beans from......see if I can do some fancy fast talking.....and maybe some coffee slurping !

LOL.

look i take exception to the comment on the mental health issue being used as a cover for drug use... i think that is a seriously damaging train of thought to open up.. the stigma of mental health is tough enough for someone to open up nd admit but to then have in the back of ones mind that by opening that box of mental health you are also going to be tarnished with the "is it a cover for drug use" brush...
let be honest if Majak Daw came out with his mental health issues that we all know that are very real and almost ended horrifically the cynics would say he was hiding a positive drug test... yes it may very well be the case mental health is being used this way to hide usage but making comments on that only makes it much much harder for a person in the AFL to actually open up and admit they have a issue

look i take exception to the comment on the mental health issue being used as a cover for drug use... i think that is a seriously damaging train of thought to open up.. the stigma of mental health is tough enough for someone to open up nd admit but to then have in the back of ones mind that by opening that box of mental health you are also going to be tarnished with the "is it a cover for drug use" brush...
let be honest if Majak Daw came out with his mental health issues that we all know that are very real and almost ended horrifically the cynics would say he was hiding a positive drug test... yes it may very well be the case mental health is being used this way to hide usage but making comments on that only makes it much much harder for a person in the AFL to actually open up and admit they have a issue

This post is exactly why many people hide behind the mental health issues, because they aren't going to get called out on it. It's a double edged sword really, because you do make a good point. Not everyone does it, and mental health absolutely should be addressed.

This post is exactly why many people hide behind the mental health issues, because they aren't going to get called out on it. It's a double edged sword really, because you do make a good point. Not everyone does it, and mental health absolutely should be addressed.
Yeah Nah.

I'd say the ratio between mental health sufferers turning to drugs compared with people using mental health as an excuse to not get caught is about 186,653 to 1

The younger generation see cocaine as a non problematic drug, no worse than alcohol.

True, the whole context on drugs has altered somewhat with the 20 to 35 year olds. However any professional environment, be it business or sport...or in the AFL's case, both will have the acceptable professional drugs attached to it. Jesus, if they can find opium, coke, and mandrake root on the bodies of mummified Egyptian pharaoh's, imagine the acceptable ( though socially frowned upon) levels of partying within the umbrella organisation of the AFL? We live in a world where Meth is used recreationally in most countries. If you go to Russia and poorer areas of Europe (quite an expansive area) You'll find a toxic bunch of chemicals fused together in a vile drug called Crocodil. These are things you'd never consider taking. Drugs have changed, our perception of it has changed, but the words to define the social aspects of it have not. Cocaine, by the way, is so diluted and cut with utter crap these days that it bares close to no resemblance to what it once was. Yet people will still perceive it as to what it was back in the mid eighties.

Is it a different story if one of our very good players from that era was not only taking illicit drugs, but was actually selling them as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just texted from StKildaFC:

Ross & the boys are calling on you to be with St Kilda. Sign up now & hear how you'll be rewarded this Saturday. https://stk.lt/2S9QoSs OPTOUT STOP 0427467020

First of all, who the hell is Ross?

Secondly, what sort of operation are we running here?

Keep up!

IMG_9006.GIF

Asked him to name names on twitter as he was smearing the likes of Roo, Lenny, Dal, and about 70 other players, but wouldn't.

Said it was none of my business, lol, think Thomas is a coward that makes big statements but is frightened of litigation.

Throw enough s**t and it sticks.
Everyone knows that rec drugs are rife in society, as well in professional sport.

Hell I got stoned with a bunch of footballers who just won the premiership in the early 80's in Sydney.
Thomas however made a specific allegation and hasnt the kajones to back it up.

Piss weak in my view and only done for his s**t, old man podcast with the other relic right wing douches.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it a different story if one of our very good players from that era was not only taking illicit drugs, but was actually selling them as well?
Well there was big insinuations made by Caroline Wilson about one of our AA players.
However Thomas said it was rife which Dal reckoned means 25.

Might be an idea for him to back up his claim than smear the whole list, dont you think?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just texted from StKildaFC:

Ross & the boys are calling on you to be with St Kilda. Sign up now & hear how you'll be rewarded this Saturday. https://stk.lt/2S9QoSs OPTOUT STOP 0427467020

First of all, who the hell is Ross?

Secondly, what sort of operation are we running here?

Keep up!

View attachment 622695

Just a day after they posted a video of Max “Hudgeton” on YouTube.

Good call there Narkles…….I have to say that when reading the article on Richo…....I thought how many pre season "awakenings" has he had.

I'm no expert but after 5 years as the senior coach....I was a little gobsmacked at some of the things he now realizes...after 5 years as senior coach.

But I guess......evolution and learning is an ongoing thing.

It will be extremely interesting to see how he goes this season......
Yeah mate, agree, feels a bit like Groundhog Day with some of the articles from pre-season.

Must say, I was mighty impressed by Basset's article though. Spoke a lot of sense.

I wonder if GT knows the meaning of the word rife? Most sane people would not be surprised drugs were present in football clubs then or now. Rife is a word that he might regret using.

1. 1.
    (especially of something undesirable) of common occurrence; widespread.
    "male chauvinism was rife in medicine"
    synonyms:widespread, general, common, universal, extensive, ubiquitous, global, omnipresent, everywhere, present everywhere, pandemic, epidemic, endemic, inescapable, insidious, prevalent, penetrating, pervading, pervasive, permeating, immanent;

I wonder if GT knows the meaning of the word rife? Most sane people would not be surprised drugs were present in football clubs then or now. Rife is a word that he might regret using.

1. 1.
    (especially of something undesirable) of common occurrence; widespread.
    "male chauvinism was rife in medicine"
    synonyms:widespread, general, common, universal, extensive, ubiquitous, global, omnipresent, everywhere, present everywhere, pandemic, epidemic, endemic, inescapable, insidious, prevalent, penetrating, pervading, pervasive, permeating, immanent;

I’d be pretty p****d off if I was a player from that era who didn’t take drugs.
They’ve all been tarred with the same brush.

For better or worse these recreational drugs are part of society, and footballers are not exempt.

One wonders what his motivation is for bringing it to light all these years later.
We know he’s always had an axe to grind with the AFL, and I have applauded him for calling them out in the past, but I wonder if he is just suffering from relevance deprivation syndrome right now.

It’s quite a shame because we’ve had a pretty positive pre-season media-wise.

I’d be pretty p****d off if I was a player from that era who didn’t take drugs.
They’ve all been tarred with the same brush.

For better or worse these recreational drugs are part of society, and footballers are not exempt.

One wonders what his motivation is for bringing it to light all these years later.
We know he’s always had an axe to grind with the AFL, and I have applauded him for calling them out in the past, but I wonder if he is just suffering from relevance deprivation syndrome right now.

It’s quite a shame because we’ve had a pretty positive pre-season media-wise.
He prides himself in being honest. I suppose he was trying to be honest in response to a question apparently put to him by Mike Sheahan. I didn’t listen to it, but that’s what I read. Problem was he seemed to put a good dob of mayo on his reply. The non-drug takers would be pissed off. As well as the player who told it to him in confidence.

I'am waiting for a story on how good our team will be with the inclusion of 6 fit good players - Roberton , Bruce , Acres , Long , Kent , Hannebery as well as the improvement in our young guys - Steele , Billings , Gresham , Sinclair , Hunter , Coffield , Battle , Marshall.
No reason we can't move up a notch from 2 years ago and play finals.

People don't know how much we missed Bruce , Roberton and a fully fit Acres last year .
I'm expecting a good season , win a few games to start off the season and the players confidence grows and we win more games.

Can't wait for the practice games - I want to see who kicks the goals , can Paddy show anything and who will be our forwards - Parker , Kent , Long , Lonie , Young - where Phillips , Paton , Hunter , Coffield play.
Will Battle show his potential .

should be a entertaining couple months

The younger generation see cocaine as a non problematic drug, no worse than alcohol.
I'm told by young people that it's because of quality and cost these days. The young people also tell me that if quality and price were the same as 15-20 years ago, then you could bet your arse it would be problematic again!!

Last edited:
It’s likely to be an unpopular opinion but I applaud GT for highlighting the issue of recreational drug use in the AFL, which by extension is highlighting the issue in society amongst young people.

GT was asked a direct question & he answered it by discussing his experience, which just happened to be a conversation with an experienced ex player that told him rec drug use was rife. GT has since clarified that he believes about 50% of first team players have tried/experimented. Seems about right to me.

We see in the media & more broadly in society, people constantly avoid the truth for fear of offending someone. That’s all well & good for many topics but topics such as drug use, mental health, etc absolutely should not be avoided. GT has commenced an important topic that does so much harm to individuals & their families & friends. If he needs to put a football club & football code at the forefront of discussion to get the conversation started that’s fine by me.

If any players such as Dal, Hayes, Roo, etc take exceptional to what GT (& his confidant) stated then the onus is on them to come forward & say they were/are clean. GT didn’t name anyone & only conveyed what he was told.

I’m not overly concerned with what GT’s motivation is. Perhaps he really does care about the harm drugs have on people, or he’s feeding his own ego, or is it financial (unlikely)?

We’ve seen with the NRL the impact ignoring these critical topics has done to the code. I’d like the AFL to own the fact there’s a drug problem amongst young players & society - without identifying individuals. Be a champion at education & get some relevant sponsors on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back