Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

:p that’s what I mean, I’ve never understood the comparisons between the two as the obviously superior player was picked first.

We both stuffed up on Curnow though :D
Curnow's little drink driving escapade at the time reduced his prospects anyway, but I think he wanted to be at Carlton with his brother so on a personal level I guess that worked out for him.

I remember at the time I wanted some combination of Francis, Curnow, Parish and Weideman from our two picks. Weideman and Curnow seemed to fit our needs best but then I saw a highlights package of Francis (I wasn't a very involved footy fan back then :p ) and was not at all unhappy when we landed him instead of the delinquent :D Still waiting for Weideman to turn into something and vindicate my early opinions but meh.

:p that’s what I mean, I’ve never understood the comparisons between the two as the obviously superior player was picked first.

We both stuffed up on Curnow though :D

Francis and Curnow would’ve been perfection. Bookends for the next 15 years sorted

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. TBH from what I saw of Oliver in 2016 I really liked. He did things most first year players can’t. I doubt anyone expected the rise after that. Although you can rally see why the recruiters were desperate for him.

Curnow's little drink driving escapade at the time reduced his prospects anyway, but I think he wanted to be at Carlton with his brother so on a personal level I guess that worked out for him.

I remember at the time I wanted some combination of Francis, Curnow, Parish and Weideman from our two picks. Weideman and Curnow seemed to fit our needs best but then I saw a highlights package of Francis (I wasn't a very involved footy fan back then :p ) and was not at all unhappy when we landed him instead of the delinquent :D Still waiting for Weideman to turn into something and vindicate my early opinions but meh.

Weideman will be a good player I think, be stunned if he has a better career than Curnow though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a third year player whose best game was in a final, the 2017 PF is well ahead.
Over a player whose best game was in a final, the 2018 EF? Not like Himmelberg was the difference in the PF. Only had 10 possessions to go with the 4 goals in a game. GWs lost by 6 goals . Weideman was the demons best player in that final against the Cats

Over a player whose best game was in a final, the 2018 EF? Not like Himmelberg was the difference in the PF. Only had 10 possessions to go with the 4 goals in a game. GWs lost by 6 goals . Weideman was the demons best player in that final against the Cats
I quoted a game as an example, but what you've missed is he had a role on Rance to block his rebound as well. If you dont get the difference between players and team performance then there's no sensible discussion to be had.

Himmelberg and Weideman ?

He's a very good player Himmelberg. I think he'll have an outstanding career.

He has had an advantage over Weideman in that Weideman was deprived games because of the Tom McDonald/Hogan duo. With Paton being injured Himmelberg was able to partner Cameron and play every game. Now that Hogan has gone I look forward to Weideman playing a full season.

Their year three stats were remarkably similar, BUT it's worth noting that Weideman is over a year younger. And for developing young skinny talls that makes a significant difference. ;)

Last edited:
I quoted a game as an example, but what you've missed is he had a role on Rance to block his rebound as well. If you dont get the difference between players and team performance then there's no sensible discussion to be had.
I am not saying he didn't have a good game but Rance did have 11 intecepts and 5 R50s so I don't think he was that successful in the role he was supposed to play.

Weideman's final was a significantly better game. If you can't acknowledge that in the 24 possesion 7 mark 3 goal game where he was BOG then there is no sensible discussion to be had.

I think a third year player whose best game was in a final, the 2017 PF is well ahead.

There was another kid from the same draft that had a pretty good game some say that this kid was the reason richmond won that prelim.
1550673618892.png

When you have a Rioli , You will win a Flag

Not well informed supporters on the draft, most who actually watched them in juniors would have seen Oliver as a better prospect.
I think the crowing element at the time consisted largely of Jade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back