MFC Fans Only 2020 Herald Sun Supercoach Draft - The ToumpBowl

I'm pretty happy with my intial squad to be honest.

Sicily and Hurn are two potential premium defenders. The midfields first 5 including Gawn should all average 100+ and the forward line starting 5 are potentially all top 10 forwards imo

Backs: Sicily, Hurn, Suckling, Hurley, Kennedy
Mids: Gawn, Selwood, Bontempelli, Duncan, J Kennedy, Polec, Swallow, B Crouch
Forwards: R Gray, Gunston, Walters, Ziebell, Caddy
Reserves: Z Jones, T Miller, Sheed, T Lynch

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm amazed at how similar our draft targetting was - the players, especially midfielders, who were taken in the last couple of rounds were exactly the guys I was looking at. The Aaron Hall, Dom Tyson, Anthony Miles types - even though there were a number of fit, higher-scoring players available. Love the almost universal disregard for almost all Essendon players!

RE: Trades & Free Agent Pool, I would love for somebody to explain exactly how it works

DeesFanTheMan

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs, NUFC
I'm amazed at how similar our draft targetting was - the players, especially midfielders, who were taken in the last couple of rounds were exactly the guys I was looking at. The Aaron Hall, Dom Tyson, Anthony Miles types - even though there were a number of fit, higher-scoring players available. Love the almost universal disregard for almost all Essendon players!

RE: Trades & Free Agent Pool, I would love for somebody to explain exactly how it works
If you drop a player, you can immediately replace him with a free agent from the pool, however the player you drop goes to the waiver wire for a period, there is a waiver order whomever is number 1 has first preference. Say you are number 4 on the waiver and I am number 7, if we both put a bid in and nobody else, you pick up the player off the waiver and you go to the end of the que, everyone behind you moves up 1 in the list.

pjfairbairn

Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Already throwing darts at a blown up picture of your head mate

How did you work out my true identity?

492fb659c1eabcbf3fa9b7630c7b3c7b.jpg

pjfairbairn

Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Herald Sun Supercoach - The Phantom's Top 50 Draft Ratings (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/2d3ee1ca17249a097a38630a26f2adef)

1. PATRICK DANGERFIELD (GEEL) FWD/MID
January ranking: 1

2018 average: 122

With Dangerfield a chance to average 20 points more than the next best player in his position, it has to be the Geelong superstar at No.1. No change from January and there won’t be going forward with Dangerfield declaring his participation in pre-season training has doubled this summer.

2. BRODIE GRUNDY (COLL) RUCK (2)
2018 Average: 130

The top-ranked scorer from last season should go close again in 2019 and is a worthy No. 1 selection. But the gap between he and the second-ranked ruckman — likely to be Max Gawn — might not be as great. Back in full training after toe issue.

3. JACK MACRAE (WB) MID (3)
2018 average: 127

With the two best positional players gone, it’s time to take the No. 1-ranked midfielder. And, with Tom Mitchell injured, Macrae is the man.

4. PATRICK CRIPPS (CARL) MID (4)
2018 Average: 119

Last season there was only three midfielders who averaged more than 120 points per game; Dangerfield, Macrae and Mitchell. Expect the contested-ball beast from the Blues to join the group in 2019.

5. JAKE LLOYD (SYD) DEF (5)
2018 Average: 112

The skilful Swan was the only defender to average more than 110 points per game in 2018 and, with the new kick-in stat ruling, he’s a chance to better his 112-point average this season.

6. MAX GAWN (MELB) RUCK (6)
2018 Average: 127

There’s a concern about what the impact of recruit Brayden Preuss might be on Gawn’s scoring but we might be overplaying it. He has to be selected here — and it could be higher if we get more clarity on Preuss’ role during the pre-season.

7. NAT FYFE (FREO) MID (7)
2018 Average: 114

While some SuperCoaches might opt for Josh Kelly or Clayton Oliver ahead of Fyfe, the Docker skipper still possesses one of the highest ceilings in the competition. If he stays fit, look out.

8. JOSH KELLY (GWS) MID (8)
2018 Average: 114

After returning from injury, the classy midfielder averaged 120 points from Round 12 onwards last season. Uses the ball better than most and hits the scoreboard so, if he gets a clear run at it, expect that to be his average across the entire season in 2019.

9. ISAAC HEENEY (SYD) FWD (16)
2018 Average: 97

Jumps into the top 10 after stating “I feel I can take my game to the next level” after the first full pre-season of his career. Averaged 98 points per game in 2017 after battling glandular fever over summer and posted nine SuperCoach tons in the first 12 rounds, despite pre-season knee surgery, last year. The next-best forward behind Dangerfield.

10. RORY LAIRD (ADEL) DEF (10)
2018 Average: 108

The Crow ball magnet is still the second best SuperCoach defender behind Lloyd and is as reliable as selections come. Laird should, at least, maintain his average this season.

11. Clayton Oliver (Melb) Mid (9)

12. Dustin Martin (Rich) Mid (11)

13. Lachie Whitfield (GWS) Def (12)

14. Lachie Neale (Bris) Mid (14)

15. Elliot Yeo (WC) Mid (15)

16. Matt Crouch (Adel) Mid (17)

17. Alex Witherden (Bris) Def (23)

18. James Sicily (Haw) Def (18)

19. Devon Smith (Ess) Fwd/mid (13)

20. Zach Merrett (Ess) Mid (19)

21. Josh Dunkley (WB) Fwd/mid (20)

22. Adam Treloar (Coll) Mid (21)

23. Sam Menegola (Geel) Fwd/mid (31)

24. Kade Simpson (Carl) Def (26)

25. Justin Westhoff (Port) Ruck/fwd (27)

26. Andrew Gaff (WC) Mid (28)

27. Dayne Beams (Coll) Mid (29)

28. Stephen Coniglio (GWS) Mid (30)

29. Tim Kelly (Geel) Fwd/mid (48)

30. Marcus Bontempell i(WB) Mid (32)

31. Zac Williams (GWS) Def (35)

32. Mitch Duncan (Geel) Mid (37)

33. Todd Goldstein (NM) Ruck (36)

34. Chad Wingard (Haw) Fwd/mid (25)

35. Shaun Higgins (NM) Mid (38)

36. Tom Hawkins (Geel) Fwd (39)

37. Jeremy Howe (Coll) Def (40)

38. Angus Brayshaw (Melb) Mid (42)

39. Seb Ross (StK) Mid (43)

40. Lance Franklin (Syd) Fwd (34)

41. Stefan Martin (Bris) Ruck (22)

42. Robbie Gray (Port) Fwd/mid (44)

43. Luke Ryan (Freo) Def (45)

44. Joel Selwood (Geel) Mid (49)

45. Gary Ablett (Geel) Mid (33)

46. Jayden Short (Rich) Def (-)

47. Jack Billings (StK) Fwd (-)

48. Harris Andrews (Bris) Def (41)

49. Tim Taranto (GWS) Mid (50)

50. Brodie Smith (Adel) Def (-)

Think I have 7 of the 50, so I'm please! Is there anybody in there who didn't get drafted?

pjfairbairn

Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not long now - 9 days or so. Anybody likely to swap players for free agents prior to Round One, based on JLT form/injury? And is there a bidding process with that?

pjfairbairn

Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've got about 4 under injury clouds so might need to.

Yeah, same. Want to give them as long as possible, but don't want to leave it too late and go into some sort of bidding/waiver list.

Also considering just dropping one of my blokes based on (yes I know this is ridiculous) JLT form and the role he played

pjfairbairn

Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Decided to go for Michael Gibbons (Carlton), bringing him in for Ebert. Who probably gets 3 votes against us now!

pjfairbairn

Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
11 hours until the lockout - that would appear to give us time to see who is named in the teams before any desperate, under-thought, last-minute changes, right? (Has it as 7:20pm AEDT)

pjfairbairn

Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
How does the waiver system work? I dont understand it

I believe that when somebody drops a player, the access to sign them via waiver goes in favour of lowest ladder position. EG you have 48 hours to make a claim if you want that player who has been previously owned elsewhere (not a free agent) and whoever is placed lowest that bids gets the player.

PS - well done on a very tight first-up win!

pjfairbairn

Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I believe that when somebody drops a player, the access to sign them via waiver goes in favour of lowest ladder position. EG you have 48 hours to make a claim if you want that player who has been previously owned elsewhere (not a free agent) and whoever is placed lowest that bids gets the player.

PS - well done on a very tight first-up win!

Actually scrap that, it looks like it applies to Free Agents too. SO for example if I wanted Houli I could go for him now and would get preferential treatment ahead of you.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Actually scrap that, it looks like it applies to Free Agents too. SO for example if I wanted Houli I could go for him now and would get preferential treatment ahead of you.

You can have Houli an I'll have your best defender if you'd like. Looks like I have till the 26th then it's fair game again.

That was a TIGHT win. Not sure who I beat but it was like 7 points, we both scored s**t for round 1

pjfairbairn

Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
You can have Houli an I'll have your best defender if you'd like. Looks like I have till the 26th then it's fair game again.

That was a TIGHT win. Not sure who I beat but it was like 7 points, we both scored s**t for round 1

It was me bro. Got rooted by Josh Kelly & Josh Kennedy not playing, and not being able to be near enough a computer to make changes between team naming and lockout. I bring in Gibbons & Reid and I beat you. I'm not too down-hearted though...

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It was me bro. Got rooted by Josh Kelly & Josh Kennedy not playing, and not being able to be near enough a computer to make changes between team naming and lockout. I bring in Gibbons & Reid and I beat you. I'm not too down-hearted though...

I mean to be fair my marquee player did his ACL but yeah we struggled big time. Guess I'm lucky though, don't think either of us win many more with ~1600 scores

Back