No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garry Lyon now forced to back-track, having to talk about the drug taking / mental health issue in the AFL.
Wanted to shut down the conversation yesterday by calling 'ignorance' in regards to people that mixed the two situations.
Who's shown up to be ignorant now Garry? Fool.

Don't you dislike people that want to shut down a valid conversation/argument because it doesn't suit their subjective viewpoint.

So he’s happy with mediocrity

Have to agree with your statement Eskie, he is a player with all the tools of the trade who I felt could have given so much more. With his talent I felt he should have won more individual accolades but he is happy to play within himself and do enough to be good without being outstanding.

Don't get me wrong, he played some rippers for us, but when things got down and dirty, Bryce was nowhere to be seen. Anyway good luck at your new club Bryce, I enjoyed watching your father play a lot more @ the West Perth Cardinals.

Have to agree with your statement Eskie, he is a player with all the tools of the trade who I felt could have given so much more. With his talent I felt he should have won more individual accolades but he is happy to play within himself and do enough to be good without being outstanding.

Don't get me wrong, he played some rippers for us, but when things got down and dirty, Bryce was nowhere to be seen. Anyway good luck at your new club Bryce, I enjoyed watching your father play a lot more @ the West Perth Cardinals.
Ermmm having the nouse not to make comments that are silly at best is the most valuable tool of all. In other words a brain.

Ermmm having the nouse not to make comments that are silly at best is the most valuable tool of all. In other words a brain.

Yeah, I can understand it was an off the cuff remark and a bit of a joke, but there the ones that come back to bite you.

He’s back pedalling since he’s been caught out on saying what he said which is basically “thank **** I left that rabble, you people in Adelaide don’t know what a s**t year is relax it wasn’t bad compared to what I’ve come from!”

It may have merit but in any context it’s disrespectful considering that Gibbs is suposedly a 200 game champion of the club.

It’s one of those comments that will hopefully bite him on the arse...multiple times with any luck!
Karma is real!

Would be nice for a change to be on the right side of karma

I doubt Gibbs meant anything bad by his comment.
Seems more likely he tried to add some humour to the interview....but some people just aren't funny.

Nothing to get wound up here about and Gibbs did pay his dues to the CFC and at best guess probably still loves the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems more likely he tried to add some humour to the interview....but some people just aren't funny.

Nothing to get wound up here about and Gibbs did pay his dues to the CFC and at best guess probably still loves the club.

He's been around long enough to know he ought to be mindful what comes out of his mouth. I'm sure in hindsight he'd have not made that extra comment.

Gibbs knew the contexts both clubs were operating under, and given Adelaide recruited him to be the last piece of the puzzle in a premiership team (vs a rebuilding team performing like a rebuilding team), he would have been disappointed at how Adelaide performed last year. No doubt.

I hate false outrage, but Gibbo had no reason to vindictively deflect the comment onto us.

Nice fellow Bryce. I met him once or twice. Not a Rhodes scholar though and really just a poor choice of words I feel. And playing the media game thats asked of him over there.

Not too many Rhodes Scholars in AFL/VFL ranks over the years - only Mike Fitzpatrick comes to mind.

The rest you could add all their IQs together and you’d still be struggling to make 100.

This 100%. He played for us for 11 or so years (230 odd games) when we were often at our worst with no real continuity of role/position etc. In 2014 when he hit free agency, he had every opportunity to screw us over by going back to SA (like a certain much-loved forward pocket). Decided to stay and sign a long-term contract. Yes he eventually requested a trade back but allowed us to extract maximum value from the crows even playing out a full year for us in 2017 at his best form despite the constant media pressure each week. It would have been easy for him to sulk it up and do a "Cam McCarthy". IIRC he even called himself a blue at heart when interviewed for the first time in a crows polo. I may have called him out a few times over the years for being an inconsistent performer but I respect his contribution to our great club. I know many here had kind words for him upon his departure.

I'll let the comment slide given how he played out his last year with us.

Does anyone remember Fev calling our supporter base ferals at a Lions function? That was far worse.

He was paid handsomely for each one of those years; perhaps more-so if one is to believe everything that is said/written. His kind words on departure were well earned by the club.

This is true, however there are some players out there that screw their clubs over much worse upon departure and even provide a slap on the way out with lies, betrayal etc. Players that come to mind: Ablett O'meara Dangerfield McCarthy Boyd Lynch Carlisle Ryder Robinson Henderson Waite

I'll let the comment slide given how he played out his last year with us.

Does anyone remember Fev calling our supporter base ferals at a Lions function? That was far worse.

Yes it was far worse, but let's not over embellish merit where it's not due. He was paid to perform that year; and obligated to perform beyond that year. His kind words on departure were well deserved.

This is true, however there are some players out there that screw their clubs over much worse upon departure and even provide a slap on the way out with lies, betrayal etc. Players that come to mind: Ablett O'meara Dangerfield McCarthy Boyd Lynch Carlisle Ryder Robinson Henderson Waite
That may be so.

Not Carlton related but it may have got a bit tense at SEN this morning when Lyon shut down Watson when he asked the question; 'Do players hide under the guise of mental health, when they may really have drug-related issues'.

Lyon just called out 'ignorance'
Who's doing the ignoring though?
I rather think Watson's confusing cause and effect there.

You have mental health, and you have people who partake in various forms of drugs - legal and illegal - some of whom have mental health issues. Some people take their particular substance with minor effects - obviously, it's not as good for them as if they were not taking it, but to a certain extent, they're functional, their addiction/intake is under control - but some are not. However, usually people need an outlet from their issues and turn to drugs, instead of taking drugs and blaming mental illnesses.

I'm going to be brutally honest here. I view a lot of psychology as claptrap, things that we don't know nearly enough about to make anything resembling correct diagnoses. Psychology as a discipline has only really existed relatively recently in terms of human history, and while I'm perfectly happy to accept general statements about trends in human behaviour - which, I'd argue, is all we've really had time to study - I'm completely ill at ease with the speed from diagnosis to drugs from doctors when it comes to behaviour and mental illness. Having said that, I'm genuinely not an expert - studied a little at school - and I'd be perfectly willing to change my mind in this area, should someone be capable of making an argument.

I view a claim like Watsons as just media being media, because that's the way they behave. He's being deliberately inflammatory - he probably even told Lyon what he was going to say, so that Lyon could properly formulate a suitable tone of outrage - in order to sell advertising space, and that we're talking about it proves that it works. As for the content of what he's saying, players hide behind pretty much everything they say to the public, at all times. This is what is done to ensure that they can continue to possess private lives; they get media training from their club's PR/Marketing, they stick to cliches and to the approved mantras, and they respond to criticism by clamming right up and allowing others to put forth their arguments for them. I would not be surprised if an AFL player who has mental health issues takes drugs, but I would also not be surprised if an AFL player who takes drugs is seeing a psychologist for stress prior to being caught with drugs and that is pushed out by club apparatus into mental health issues. I mean, clubs employ sports psychologists anyway; why reach for a difficult spin when there's such a simple one in easy reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back