The what if thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Waverley was sold in 1999 or 2000 IIRC, WC & Brisbane entered in 1987. While it was a VFL asset the landscape changed significantly over that 10-15 year period. Wouldn't have got 2000 prices selling it in the 1980s and it would've killed off an income stream.
The point is, it was a large asset and one which the entrants bought into. It was the VFL's leverage against the MCC to get a much better MCG deal so it changed the financial landscape long before it was sold. The VFL was not broke. It did send South Melbnourne to Sydney and Fitzroy broke as a matter of policy and there were clubs at varous times in financial difficulty but all clubs were viable, even Fitzroy, if the VFL chose to distribute more and that is notwithstanding some amaturish administration at the time and a recessionary environment which saw a lhell ogf a lo of businesses in trouble.

What if the League hadnt vetoed a Carlton takeover of North Melbourne in the 90s.

Ummmmm, you been at the wacky baccy? Carlton tried to take over the Swans in the 90s. Elliott made some minor attempts to "take over" North in the 80s using the shareholder structure, but that was seen off.

Non footy, but cricket related.

If Stuart MacGill was a few years older than Shane Warne, rather than a few years younger, what sort of international career would Warney have had?

In this hypothetical world, MacGill - with age on his side - almost certainly wins the race to the Australian team and it would take a very brave selection team to drop Australia's best leg spinner since Richie Benaud for a fat, lazy bloke with a mediocre Sheffield Shield record (Warne averaged about 35 with the ball for Victoria, but it is worth noting MacGill's Shield average was about the same).

What if Chris Tarrant gets awarded a free like he should have half way through the last quarter in the 2002 Grand Final. With Collingwood leading Tarrant would have been odds on to get that goal. Instead of going up 9 or 10 points, no free given. Other end, and a questionable free given to Lynch who goals and the Lions re-take the lead.

Game Over

Frees would have been 25-15 instead of 24-16 in that outcome.

I wonder what the fallout would have been if Willie Rioli was penalised for blocking Brayden Maynard in the 2018 GF. Was still a minute or two to go but assuming that was our last shot and the Pies got up. Would there have been an uproar over a very iffy free kick? Sheed still had to slot a 1 in 10 (at best) set shot and we had missed our last 5 shots for goal. I reckon if the situation was reversed and it was a free against Stephenson or De Goey which led to an Eagles win they'd still be replacing the MCG soil to get the salt out.

Frees would have been 25-15 instead of 24-16 in that outcome.

I wonder what the fallout would have been if Willie Rioli was penalised for blocking Brayden Maynard in the 2018 GF. Was still a minute or two to go but assuming that was our last shot and the Pies got up. Would there have been an uproar over a very iffy free kick? Sheed still had to slot a 1 in 10 (at best) set shot and we had missed our last 5 shots for goal. I reckon if the situation was reversed and it was a free against Stephenson or De Goey which led to an Eagles win they'd still be replacing the MCG soil to get the salt out.
Collingwood were out on their feet by that stage and if Sheed had missed I’d have backed you to at least tie it and then run over the top in ET - from memory if he’d missed you’d have drawn to within a point.
If he had missed and Collingwood went on to win, the discussion would clearly be about WC’s slow start and last quarter inaccuracy costing them the game.

Said it before in a similar thread, Melbourne rolling over TWICE to the eventual wooden spooners in Carlton in 2006 cost Freo a flag. This will sound a bit tinfoil, but hear me out.

1550740013023.png

So if we give Melbourne two more wins, the ladder looks like the following:

WCE
Adelaide
Melbourne
Fremantle
Sydney
Collingwood
St Kilda
Bulldogs

The finals series goes as follows:

Week 1
WCE vs Freo - Eagles fans will disagree but Freo had the wood on them at this time
Adelaide vs Melbourne - We couldn't win at AAMI stadium no matter what
Sydney vs Bulldogs - Pretty self explanatory, Swans were better at this time
St Kilda vs Collingwood - Flip of a coin

Week 2
Melbourne vs Sydney - Think Swans had our measure at this stage, they already beat us at the MCG earlier in the season
WCE vs St Kilda - Eagles simply too strong at home

Week 3
Freo vs Sydney - Home ground advantage gets the Dockers home
Adelaide vs WCE - A matchup that occured in the real world, WCE take it again

Grand final
Freo vs WCE - Freo go 4-0 against the Eagles to take home their maiden premiership

Attachments

• 1550740189177.png
    1550740189177.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 218
Said it before in a similar thread, Melbourne rolling over TWICE to the eventual wooden spooners in Carlton in 2006 cost Freo a flag. This will sound a bit tinfoil, but hear me out.

View attachment 623268

WCE
Adelaide
Melbourne
Fremantle
Sydney
Collingwood
St Kilda
Bulldogs

Week 1
WCE vs Freo - Eagles fans will disagree but Freo had the wood on them at this time

Week 2
Melbourne vs Sydney - Think Swans had our measure at this stage, they already beat us at the MCG earlier in the season

Week 3

Grand final
Freo vs WCE - Freo go 4-0 against the Eagles to take home their maiden premiership
No question the Dockers would have fancied themselves, as they would against us in 2013. However Grand Finals are a different ball game. I don't feel as though the Eagles would have dropped two in a row. The loss in 2005 was the catalyst for them winning in 2006. On that, had the Eagles triumphed in 2005, I don't believe they would have had the unrelenting hunger that propelled them to victory in 2006. Massive driving force for West Coast.

Even in 2013 despite getting rolled at the Cattery in week 1 to Freo, on the big stage where we had that experience, I feel we would have avenged our loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what if you didnt choose to support Stkilda, imagine how much better life would be

I dunno, for all the pain it’s still great to know you are hanging in as a supporter and that one day (within the next 100 years) the second flag will come around.

No bandwagons with the Saints, and I think most people sympathise with you personally even if they don’t like the club.

View attachment 623268

WCE
Adelaide
Melbourne
Fremantle
Sydney
Collingwood
St Kilda
Bulldogs

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Grand final
booooooooooooooooo!

What if... the AFL decide to rationalise Melbourne clubs and to dull the frustration of one or two supporter bases relocating/merging they merge everyone instead (nearly).
Geelong being outside Melbourne survive as is as a "regional" team.
Collingwood being the "biggest" Melbourne club are also spared (everyone needs a villain).
In the West the Bulldogs and Essendon merge. Red sash (with or without white trim?) with blue.
In the North Carlton merge with the Kangaroos. Become the Royal blues.
In the east/south east St. Kilda and Hawks merge. Brown, gold and red tri-panel.
In the city Melbourne and Richmond merge. Keep the tigers name and colors but in a yoke pattern.

What if... the AFL decide to rationalise Melbourne clubs and to dull the frustration of one or two supporter bases relocating/merging they merge everyone instead (nearly).
Geelong being outside Melbourne survive as is as a "regional" team.
Collingwood being the "biggest" Melbourne club are also spared (everyone needs a villain).
In the West the Bulldogs and Essendon merge. Red sash (with or without white trim?) with blue.
In the North Carlton merge with the Kangaroos. Become the Royal blues.
In the east/south east St. Kilda and Hawks merge. Brown, gold and red tri-panel.
In the city Melbourne and Richmond merge. Keep the tigers name and colors but in a yoke pattern.

I guess with less teams in the comp there would be:
-A smaller group of players and thus the avergale level of AFL footballers would be higher.
-the average attendance for games in Melbourne would be higher as would the attendances for the VFL as I would think too, as youd get a significant minority of footy fans from asforementioned merged clubs jump away from the AFL and pick up clubs like Port Melbourne etc, plus the standard of players in the VFL would be higher with less AFL roster spots available

Its win/win :,)
Probably bring in two new clubs though, a 3rd WA and either Tassie or Canberra.
Would be good if Princes Park got done up as a 3rd Melbourne venue as well.

What if the Premiers met '' the other '' prelim finalists from their respective years.

In before who cares

1990 - Collingwood vs WCE - Collingwood
1991 - Hawks vs Geelong - Hawks
1992 - WCE vs Footscray - WCE by a cricket score
1993 - Alternate Grand Final - Carlton ( first team to qualify for GF ) vs Adelaide - Carlton. Crows would have had a good chance if they got there though. Blues win it for me.

1994 - WCE vs North - WCE. Beat them home and away that year.
1995 - Blues vs Richmond - No Contest
1996 - Roos vs Essendon - Roos. Dons could have beat them though, but my pick is North
1997 - Adelaide vs North - Crows
1998 - Crows vs Dees - Crows
1999 - North vs Dons - Most would have tipped Dons. Logic suggests so. North for me, although contrary to my usual opinion I'll apply logic for 1999 as I can't be biased. Dons win. Beat them easily in the two meetings that year.
2000 - Dons vs North - Dons by 125 again.

What if Hawthorn drafted Jack Riewoldt instead of Mitch Thorp in 2006?

What if Tyrone Vickery decided to stay at Richmond instead of moving to Hawthorn for more money?

What if Patrick Dangerfield decided to stay at Adelaide instead of moving back home to play for Geelong?

What if West Coast didn't have to play at the MCG in the 1990's finals when they should have played at Subi? Just watching a replay on Fox Footy now where they played North in a 1997 semi final. That match/sceanrio was a little bit different as North defeated Geelong in week 1 ( from 7th ) and the Eagles finished in 5th but lost away to Adelaide. Still a case for the match to be played at Subi. But times where the Eagles should have been given home finals for sure in 1995, 1996 and 1999 against Essendon twice and then Carlton.

In 95 they lost by 3 goals during the regular season at home to Essendon. In 1996 they won by a goal. In 1999 they lost to the Blues by 17 points.

1995 - Would have met Richmond in a semi if they had won in week 1.
1996 - Would have played the Swans at the SCG
1999 - Would have met the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back