Preview Rnd 1 - Fremantle vs North Melbourne 24th March 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you think Lyon's round 1 win/loss record looks like?
Probably pretty good. But not lately! We get pumped round one because we seem to lack the illustrious “hard edge” we used to have.

Our last win was 2015 - a ripping 7pt win over the Peeaaarrrrrrr. From that list, probably only like 7 players remain? Our record of late, and with our current players is very poor. Here’s hoping that a little bit of competition for spots is enough to fire the boys up and have them ready for round one.

Probably pretty good. But not lately! We get pumped round one because we seem to lack the illustrious “hard edge” we used to have.

Our last win was 2015 - a ripping 7pt win over the Peeaaarrrrrrr. From that list, probably only like 7 players remain? Our record of late, and with our current players is very poor. Here’s hoping that a little bit of competition for spots is enough to fire the boys up and have them ready for round one.
Yeah I think historically it is good, losing his first with us a few years ago.

He could go in a different direction this season. The last couple of years he has played the established players, opting for a softer introduction for the draftees to the AFL. It has been devastating, and set the seasons back each time. Quite possibly could go into the round 1 2019 without Sandilands, Ballantyne and SHill, primarily due to injuries, but there would also be some optimism that their replacements (Darcy, Switkowski, Bewley) won't be liabilities.

Quite possibly could go into the round 1 2019 without Sandilands, Ballantyne and SHill, primarily due to injuries, but there would also be some optimism that their replacements (Darcy, Switkowski, Bewley) won't be liabilities.

One of those three replacements would be a short term, even if not long term, improvement on those injured.

Hogan still training in sand shoes?

I'm not claiming were are a shoe-in, but one of your big forwards has to kick 5, then you still have to combat a much slicker 2018 North outfit going the other way.

IMO, Freo has to have at least a 5 goal lead at half time to win the match.
Hogan played in the match sims last week.Been training in footy boots for ages. He's said he's playing Round 1. Your just being a twat by continuing to say you know more than freo supporters or in fact Hogan himself. If you think North is going to be a great outfit in 2019 then bookmark this post. I think they finish bottom six as they are one injury away from having the worst key position talent available in the afl. Whats more annoying is that your comments dont help here because you dont even seem to know the North players judging by the LDU comments that he lacks explosiveness.

Back to the game though, the facts are you're missing Daw, Waite and Thompson from the last time we played you, while Tarrant will have two weeks full training behind him. Effectively you've gained two good midfielders while you're missing at least three talls compared to our last game. Im not betting the house, but very confident if we match you in the midfield it wont even be close in freo's favour.

Last edited:
Durdin is out for 10 weeks as well now.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-20/knife-mishap-puts-north-defender-out-for-10-weeks

I have no idea how North are going to defend against Hogan, Lobb and Taberner with Majak Daw, Scott Thompson, possibly Robbie Tarrant and now Durdin all out for round 1? They'd be left with Ben McKay (1 AFL game) and Declan Watson (191cm and 0 AFL games) :oops:

I know we've got our own injury worries but if Tarrant doesn't play our forward line should smash them. Will just need our injury affected midfield to hold up.

I worry about North's forward line and their reliance on Ben Brown and an injury prone Mason Wood. Our backline is where we have our best coverage. Also, I think Freo's forward line will get on top of North's injury hit defence just leaving our midfield as our main area of concern. The eagles showed last year though that you don't need the best midfield to win games.

Provided we play an attacking fast paced style of football to make the best use of our talls we should go well.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hogan still training in sand shoes?

I'm not claiming were are a shoe-in, but one of your big forwards has to kick 5, then you still have to combat a much slicker 2018 North outfit going the other way.

IMO, Freo has to have at least a 5 goal lead at half time to win the match.
Yeah, nothing to worry about - can't see Hogan getting up for round 1. He's barely able to walk at the moment.

1550642795892.png

I worry about North's forward line and their reliance on Ben Brown and an injury prone Mason Wood. Our backline is where we have our best coverage. Also, I think Freo's forward line will get on top of North's injury hit defence just leaving our midfield as our main area of concern. The eagles showed last year though that you don't need the best midfield to win games.

Provided we play an attacking fast paced style of football to make the best use of our talls we should go well.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

At least West Cokes midfield had mature bodies running throught it. We have a bunch of kids + Fyfe & Mundy.

Pretty shattered that we lost Cerra to Norf after only 1 year, he looked like he could be a bloody good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least West Cokes midfield had mature bodies running throught it. We have a bunch of kids + Fyfe & Mundy.

Pretty shattered that we lost Cerra to Norf after only 1 year, he looked like he could be a bloody good player.
Lost cerra to norf???

Seems pretty quiet in here all of a sudden... Snake_Baker ? Rocking in a corner somewhere?

I hope you're not expecting some sort of concession, you're more likely to be met with something like this:

Don't know why people are so worried, though. Have they forgotten how good EVW was before his leg injury?

And I don't rate Hogan or Lobb all that highly tbh.

yes, that is a real post from their board.

I hope you're not expecting some sort of concession, you're more likely to be met with something like this:

yes, that is a real post from their board.

Dragging posts from other teams boards is crap , as if someone couldn't find a thousand cringy posts around here. I know other boards do it but it's never been a big thing around here. It seems cowardly to me to sit around here laughing away while the other poster doesn't even get to respond

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it’s quiet because a whole load of their posters got thread or forum banned. Both teams are depleted in a particular spot, so supporters of both teams should be nervous.

Seems pretty quiet in here all of a sudden... Snake_Baker ? Rocking in a corner somewhere?

Considering some of Mario/Hard_to_beat/Snake_Baker's previous efforts on this board, we should probably thank him for getting Hogan ready for round 1.

When he was Hard_to_beat he had one of the best backfires I've ever seen on bigfooty.

It was in the preview to the round 22 2012 Freo v Roos game and they had just won six in a row so they were very chirpy.
He didn't just get the result wrong, but every reason he thought North would win was wrong.

Freo wouldn't be able to contain their on fire 3 tall forwards of Petrie, Hansen, and Tarrant ("that rotate and create space as good as any in the competition")
They had 3 goals and 31 disposals between them

Atley, MacMillan, and McMahon will be able to contain Walters and Ballantyne
Walters and Ballantyne kicked 4 goals each

"We average 109 points from 12 games at Etihad this season." "we are the hottest Etihad side of 2012."
They kicked 79

"We will run you in to the ground."
Freo kicked 13 goals to 4 in the last quarter and a half

"You will also come up against a ruckman that has hit top form who blew up jolly last night and will run Sandilands in to the ground"
Sanidlands; 15 disposals, 1 goal, 49 hitouts
Goldstein; 2 disposals, 8 hitouts (82% game time just in case you thought he got injured, he didn't)

All this was said before Pavlich was a late out. Pav had been on fire before this game kicking 49 goals in the last 11 games.
It's a shame Pav withdrew because we didn't get to see how he would've handled Scott Thompson, because as we all known "Rance is an honest footballer, but Scott Thompson is a class above him. "

End result Freo by 53

Remove this Banner Ad

Back