Training Pre Season 18/19

Remove this Banner Ad

one thing hasn't been mentioned is...what is the penalty if a team fails to get their 6-6-6 setup in time...is it a center freekick to the oppo or is it a 50m free kick downfield...
Play on if it's for us.Otherwise 50mtrs.

Just let this thought marinate in your heads for a bit. Look at where he is (up the ground). Think about where Jack will play (up the ground). At various stages with the new kick in rules, Houli and Short will have both blokes to aim at while Dusty sits at FF. Oh boy, wowee.

short gonna kick in all the way to our forward 50, won't even need to have jiewoldt and tlynch up the ground

Because we won't have 1-2 defensive runners coming in off the back of the square putting on pressure. Last year we didn't concede a single point when using that set up.

Now when the opposition wins a clearance they'll have 10-15m open space in front of them to use before pressure arrives.
Set ups for midfielders will change. Sweepers may make a return. They still have to worry abouy OUR midfielders doing the same.

Lol, how's all the negative narratives getting spewed out by the media about the tigers?
Remember last years pre season when the media were gagging for us to do a bulldogs and screw up, didn't happen.
Now this pre season it's how these rule tweaks are going to effect us and only us.

They are making it plainly obvious they want Richmond 2016 to happen. It is killing everyone how good we are, * me the druggies recruit a player and it's dynasty time, pies have a good year on the back of an easy draw and favourable umpiring and it's " lets all jerk off to the pies " QF final in 2018 and the hawks who had won 3 in a row were getting egged on to defeat us to end our 1 flag dynasty. We are not a darling and we never will be.

Remember last years pre season when the media were gagging for us to do a bulldogs and screw up, didn't happen.
Now this pre season it's how these rule tweaks are going to effect us and only us.

They are making it plainly obvious they want Richmond 2016 to happen. It is killing everyone how good we are, **** me the druggies recruit a player and it's dynasty time, pies have a good year on the back of an easy draw and favourable umpiring and it's " lets all jerk off to the pies " QF final in 2018 and the hawks who had won 3 in a row were getting egged on to defeat us to end our 1 flag dynasty. We are not a darling and we never will be.

Didnt realise that there were so many journalist trolls with Bigfooty accounts.

It's the only explanation as to why they have so much hate

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nankervis is pretty competitive against Grundy. The commentators gush over Grundy a bit, but to me there is not a lot in it. Gawn is different, a great tap ruck, but Nank is a mid once the ball hits the ground so it makes up for it a bit. Against the Swans Sinclair, who played some really good football last year, Nank slaughtered him. So we are not weak in the ruck, just not as good as the two you mentioned. With better back up, he will

Look what over coaching did to us in 2016. Hardwick says play the game on instinct and he presto, the players know best. All this talk of the coach wanting to slow the tempo, icons, boards being serious tools and allocating numbers to particular parts of the ground... zones etc. Coaches think to much.
I hope like hell Collingwood embrace this new technology because the thing that got them to the GF was the ability to play on passion and players instinct, much like us the year before. Same with the 6 - 6 - 6 formation. It is hardly rocket science. One on one, who would have thought.
I hope Hardwick comes out in his T-shirt and nothing else...
Our wrong symbols will be leaked too the Pies.
By the time they realise we'll be 10 goals up.

Not if 1 or 2 of our players setup defensive side of the square, they will do the exact same thing
How are you going to set up 1-2 players on the defensive side of the square? Wingers can only line up to the side of the square, if we push them towards D50 the opposition either leaves their wingers high giving them space to work in or they man up our players. You're never really going to have unmanned defensive cover at a centre bounce after a goal or at the start of quarters. A secondary bounce might allow you to set up that way, but again you risk leaving opponents unmanned in space.

I don't see Lynch as impacting on the center square at all really. He'll help our forward line and free up Caddy/Dusty. So that helps the midfield.

What I am saying is that I don't think the 666 will dramatically change the center bounce. It'll make some of the set ups difficult. So you adapt. We'll see within 8 weeks though.
The impact I expect from Lynch going into the centre square is to give us a better chance of at least splitting the contest than we get when Grigg goes up against opposition rucks. That should help us improve our clearance work.

No, not of HBF....previously...the spare 1-2 players to stack the defensive side of the square came from the FW line (hence 8-6-4, means you've taken 2 off of the FW line)...as I said in prev post.....now new rule says you MUST have 6 in the FW line...therefore...it is physically impossible to get the 1-2 spares to stack up defensive areas.

Somewhere it is mentioned we were very successful with the 1-2 spares behind the square tactic using......surprise surprise Rioli/George....they are from the FW line, not Backs....so now Rioli and George...sorry you can't go back...

The modification I see is this:

Now we don't have 1-2 spares ready at the back of the square, then 2 of the BACKS will play loose....standing closest to the 50m arc...then it would take ~1sec to get to the back of square to provide full frontal pressure when Dangerflog is steaming out of the square...Basically, the whole back line should do a back press...ie. press higher to the 50m line, hopefully this would force Dangerflog to chip the ball higher to get over the frontal wall coming at him..of course, it leaves the deep pockets vulnerable...but that's the tradeoff I'd take. you'd hope the CHB...say Rance, is up to the task being the best interceptor. That's my take...certainly no expert. And yes I've put the wingmen where they are to man up their oppos and not leaving them free.
Having 2 defenders charge in from D50 is too dangerous. A clean clearance and a 6 v 4 situation inside 50 creates all sorts of issues. As good as Rance Grimes and Vlastuin are at intercepting there is no way they can cover them all especially against good sides.

As simple as it sounds the best thing will be to simply go man on man and back our mids to win or at the least halve the contest in the middle from the initial bounce. Even if there is a secondary bounce I'd be sticking with a man on man set up and backing our blokes to win more than they lose. I think we have the talent to match any side 1 on 1

Set ups for midfielders will change. Sweepers may make a return. They still have to worry abouy OUR midfielders doing the same.
True they have to worry about our mids and the numbers show that we're quite good at winning clearances but we're not so good at stopping opposition clearances. Which gets me back to the second ruck. As I've said IMO we need to use Lynch in the middle, even if it's only for 2-3 minutes a quarter while Nank has a rest. I don't think we'll go back to the 2013-2015 set up where we used 3 tall forwards as it's too much of a change from the last 2 years.

IMO our best line up is as follows:

B: Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
HB: Broad Rance Houli
C: Edwards Cotchin McIntosh
HF: Caddy Riewoldt Butler
F: Rioli Lynch Higgins
R: Nankervis Martin Prestia
INT: Weller Short Graham Lambert

Gives us a nice balance of height, running power, ball winning ability, scoring and defensive accountability.

Looked to be moving well didn’t he

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, long strides with what looked to be no discomfort and turned which i liked, jumping will be the next cab off the rank and if he pulls through that then happy days.

How are you going to set up 1-2 players on the defensive side of the square? Wingers can only line up to the side of the square, if we push them towards D50 the opposition either leaves their wingers high giving them space to work in or they man up our players. You're never really going to have unmanned defensive cover at a centre bounce after a goal or at the start of quarters. A secondary bounce might allow you to set up that way, but again you risk leaving opponents unmanned in space.

The impact I expect from Lynch going into the centre square is to give us a better chance of at least splitting the contest than we get when Grigg goes up against opposition rucks. That should help us improve our clearance work.

Having 2 defenders charge in from D50 is too dangerous. A clean clearance and a 6 v 4 situation inside 50 creates all sorts of issues. As good as Rance Grimes and Vlastuin are at intercepting there is no way they can cover them all especially against good sides.

As simple as it sounds the best thing will be to simply go man on man and back our mids to win or at the least halve the contest in the middle from the initial bounce. Even if there is a secondary bounce I'd be sticking with a man on man set up and backing our blokes to win more than they lose. I think we have the talent to match any side 1 on 1

True they have to worry about our mids and the numbers show that we're quite good at winning clearances but we're not so good at stopping opposition clearances. Which gets me back to the second ruck. As I've said IMO we need to use Lynch in the middle, even if it's only for 2-3 minutes a quarter while Nank has a rest. I don't think we'll go back to the 2013-2015 set up where we used 3 tall forwards as it's too much of a change from the last 2 years.

IMO our best line up is as follows:

B: Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
HB: Broad Rance Houli
C: Edwards Cotchin McIntosh
HF: Caddy Riewoldt Butler
F: Rioli Lynch Higgins
R: Nankervis Martin Prestia
INT: Weller Short Graham Lambert

Gives us a nice balance of height, running power, ball winning ability, scoring and defensive accountability.

Just on the mid 6 I think the wings need to stand on the wing edge, what’s to stop them pushing back to th back flank but still on the wing edge with the two HBF push into towards true CHB. BALL bounces wings pic up Oppo player and it’s 8 on 6 with 3 at CHB.

HFF can push to wing on same basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here's how I read the 'result' from CD:

Richmond won more than half those centre clearances, which typically involved two players stampeding off the back of the square, and did not concede a single point in Champion Data's sample.

that means those 2 spares are gonna swamp the oppo centremen....so successfully, we did not concede a single point...therefore now, I'm willing to risk 2 defenders playing loose, and take up those roles of the 2 spares, now standing behind the 50m arc instead...You may not like the 2 loose defenders....too risky...but stats don't lie...we did not concede a single point with 2 spares.

Effectively, my new formation is 4-8-6...how is that physically possible ? Well no, not INSTANTANEOUSLY, but it is very possible after about a second after the bounce...as 2 loose defs can sprint to the back of the square in a sec.

Sure the result doesn't tell me if the perfect record was purely 100% of the effort of the 2 spares...who knows....but that's the risk I'd take anyway without having all visions/stats available to me for dissection. I guess this is all down to preseason practice drills and trial/error...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back