Game Day Intraclub Match thread

Remove this Banner Ad

All of that is spot on however one note of caution to all those writing Ruffy off....I too, had no idea what he was doing out there as he handed off every single time he got it, but IF he had actually had a shot when he should have, he actually couldve kicked 7 or 8. Looked like he was taking the piss a bit.

With our high press Nash has to play. He will outrun anyone going back.

If there's anything I've learned about practice games/JLT games, etc is that it all means squat - judge Roughy and every other player when the real stuff begins. A lot of players just need time, practice, confidence, tweaking to perform optimally.

All of that is spot on however one note of caution to all those writing Ruffy off....I too, had no idea what he was doing out there as he handed off every single time he got it, but IF he had actually had a shot when he should have, he actually couldve kicked 7 or 8. Looked like he was taking the piss a bit.

With our high press Nash has to play. He will outrun anyone going back.

To be fair, Ruffs shots on goal where from a lot of transition footy with joe the goose like space for him... When he had to compete he was utterly useless, I don't mean to be disrespectful to him but it is true. He took 1 contested mark in the 1st qtr and I nearly fell over, I thought no, surely not, he couldn't have regained his hands but as the game wore on it was clear his struggles.

What I will say is this --- Ruff has it all upstairs still (despite the ridiculous hand offs), he still has those deft touches and quick hands, he can still pick out the oppo with a solid bump and can still hit targets most other players wouldn't know are there. It his physical that is the issue, he has no speed, no ability to jump, almost no ability to take a contested mark.

If Lewis shows enough early on he should be playing.

If there's anything I've learned about practice games/JLT games, etc is that it all means squat - judge Roughy and every other player when the real stuff begins. A lot of players just need time, practice, confidence, tweaking to perform optimally.

Disagree, the JLT/Practise match schedule gives players the chance to hone their skills, work on areas they struggle in and if you're a young fella the ability to showcase how far you have come during pre-season. All of Ruffs issues from last year have visibly worsen, but I agree that I am not going to hang him out to dry, he is a legend and champion of the club and deserves the chance to find his form and play senior footy however if he can't do that then he shouldn't be playing in our best 22.

Missed the first 5 minutes but gee Harry Jones must of been good, cause I didn’t think he did a huge amount in the rest of the game, but a few are really raving about him. He shirked a marking contest on the wing that he should of gone for which was abit disappointing to see, on a plus side he’s bigger than I expected, after all the talk on here about his size holding him back I was expecting to see Caleb Daniel out there, but he’s actually a great size for a mid, thought he looked pretty athletic. Omeara was taking the piss in the first half, cuz was the best mid in the game after that. Worpel attacked the ball well and used his hands well but didn’t have a massive day. Rough was super disappointing, he’s ok on a lead when he outsmarts his opponent but was completely destroyed in the air and in one on one contests, was abit hard to watch. Sicily is a jet, wasn’t dominant by any means but is just a class above. Most of the senior boys put in typical days. Our work out of the center most the day was impressive, can hardly remember Carlton getting clear ball away. Our skills looked a lot better than theirs, it’s just our entry into the forwardline that lets us down, as it has the last couple of seasons. We just don’t have a player who can take a contested grab down there.

Also let’s hope garlett plays when we play Carlton during the year. He put in one of the worst performances I’ve seen a player put in. He directly gave us 5+ shots on goal. Would of finished on about -50 SuperCoach points if they kept track of it

Missing roughly 5 of our best 22,
Wingard,gunston,howe,burgoyne,scully.
(Mitchell,birchall) long term injury.

Firstly the positives the midfield was fantastic boys, make no mistake we don't bat the deepest in the competition! but the midfield will not be our weakest line this yr! I can confidential say we will be mid range in this aera.
I have high hopes a fit mitchell in 2020 and1 more bonafide star we will have one of the better midfields in 2020.

These young boys are ready and with Jaeger brillance and Shiles & Wingard help i see all our younger players improving.
Morrison,Worpel,Cousins pencil them in.
Morrison is the most skillfull of the lot!

I have said from the get go where we will struggle most is our key positions up forward contested marking and bringing the ball to ground! Teams will simple zone off and mark with ease. Think Richmond and Melbourne from last yr.
Rough is a forward pocket, half forward at best these days and can play a role in a pocket.

In defence we have the same issue but at least we have some hopefully options we will need one of brand,mirra,mohr,tob playing a role so Sic can play the 3rd up.

I believe if we had a 24yo Full Forward & Full Back we would push for a top4 spot without mitch. The future is still bright strap yourself in for the ride, we will be up and down like a rollercoaster this yr!

Last edited:
Missed the first 5 minutes but gee Harry Jones must of been good, cause I didn’t think he did a huge amount in the rest of the game, but a few are really raving about him. He shirked a marking contest on the wing that he should of gone for which was abit disappointing to see, on a plus side he’s bigger than I expected, after all the talk on here about his size holding him back I was expecting to see Caleb Daniel out there, but he’s actually a great size for a mid, thought he looked pretty athletic. Omeara was taking the piss in the first half, cuz was the best mid in the game after that. Worpel attacked the ball well and used his hands well but didn’t have a massive day. Rough was super disappointing, he’s ok on a lead when he outsmarts his opponent but was completely destroyed in the air and in one on one contests, was abit hard to watch. Sicily is a jet, wasn’t dominant by any means but is just a class above. Most of the senior boys put in typical days. Our work out of the center most the day was impressive, can hardly remember Carlton getting clear ball away. Our skills looked a lot better than theirs, it’s just our entry into the forwardline that lets us down, as it has the last couple of seasons. We just don’t have a player who can take a contested grab down there.

I too missed the first 5-10 minutes and my thoughts on Jones were a bit lower than many others. Maybe he killed it early? Don’t get me wrong I think he was good, just not amazing like some others are saying.

That marking contest where he pulled out and Simpson ran through, marked it uncontested and set up a goal was dissappointing for me too. Maybe they were told not to do anything silly in the praccy match and that’s why he pulled out?

My thoughts on players, for what they’re worth:

Standouts –

O’Meara – only played the first half but he was clearly BOG for that half I thought. So clean with the ball in traffic, able to evade and always find a teammate. Some sublime blind turns and showed a great turn of speed.

Ceglar – Impressive game. Took a few contested marks around the ground and was never outmarked. But what was most impressive was his work at ground level, finding the ball in congestion very cleanly and showing evasion skills I’d not seen from him before to get around opposition mids and then dish off to our runners. Did it a lot.

Stratton – again only played the first half but he was rock solid. A brilliant side step and pass under pressure inboard to O’Meara a real highlight.

Cousins – Got a few touches in the first quarter but slipped into overdrive after qtr time. Got it inside and on the burst, used it well. Our strong third qtr was largely due to his work out of the centre, some of it Burgoyne worthy in appearance – although it must be said I paid no attention to what he was up against. If you had to nominate a 4 qtr effort as BOG, for mine it would be him.

Shiels – Workhorse game. Typical Shiels, under the radar but very effective 4 qtrs.

Puopolo – Livewire and very creative. Some excellent collects in traffic at top pace. Unselfish game, really looks up and about.

Others –

Worpel – was a real standout to half time, some eye catching work out of clearances and high quality disposal. Thought he faded out almost completely after half time, despite being out there a fair bit.

Smith – Got better and better the longer the game went. One extraordinary piece of play when he spoiled a centering Carlton kick, grabbed the spill, took off and ran a good 80 metres at full tilt before a perfect centering pass to Nash who’d burnt off a few players to run into an open goal.

Henderson – started like a house on fire, setting up Worpel for the first goal with some excellent evasion from a throw-in stoppage. Had him in our best handful for the first half, didn’t notice him as much in the 2nd.

Morrison – Another who was notable early but seemed to drift out of it.

Jones – really came into it in the second half when given more on ball time after Jaeger went off. Just seemed to be in the right place often enough to get quite a lot of ball. One bad turnover by foot but otherwise very pleasing.

Roughead – Some good, some not so good. A couple of great contested marks, and a few one handed getting too far under the drop efforts. He could have kicked a few but seemed obsessed with passing it off to others, sometimes in worse spots. I thought he was unlucky with the umpires on a few occasions.

Impey – seemed to stay deeper in defence, and actually took 2 or 3 great defensive marks overhead. Then he’d drop an easy chest mark. On the whole a solid outing and you can see he’s not far off breaking out into a top player.

Sicily – Usual mopping up across half back type game, but the Blues put no time into him (Jed Lamb where are you?) and while he would have got good numbers he wasn’t noticeably damaging to my eyes. Apart from when he picked up a lovely goal from long range after getting a dish off handball. Was no good in one-on-one marking contests, got done by Curnow repeatedly.

McEvoy – I didn’t notice him winning hitouts so not sure how he went in the ruck but thought he was a bit disappointing around the ground. Dropped several marks where he had the sit.

Lewis – Allowed to settle into CHF for the last qtr, didn’t see much of it but had a few link up possessions.

Nash – Buzzed around the forward half, laying some great tackles. He got involved in a couple of scoring chains, the best of them in the last qtr when he took the ball on the wing and was just too fast for everyone, running all the way to the forward pocket before giving off to Rough who handed it on to Breust on the goal line.

Frawley – Troubled early by Curnow (Curnow troubled all our KPDs) but was better in the second half. Still worry when he has the ball, the shorter the kick the worse he is at them.

Glass – Was great to see him running out of defence with the pill. Came off the back of the square a couple of times at centre bounces to cut through the pack and deliver forward. A good outing for him, one of our better players in the 2nd qtr.

Hardwick – Came into the game more possession wise in the second half, but solid as a rock all game long.

Breust – pretty quiet until he went onto the ball in the last qtr, where he got quite a lot of it.

Reeves – wore Pitto’s number for the last qtr. Apart from being tall enough to outreach his opposing ruckman a couple of times, he’s not up to the level at all. Easily outbodied, and half way through marking contests he forgets about the ball and just sails out the side of the pack getting nowhere near it.

Brand – wasn’t beaten often but he didn’t seem to be playing on the forwards the Blues were kicking to, namely Curnow. When required, he did look more composed than he used to.

Mirra – played the 2nd half only. Solid enough, took some nice intercepts and repelled a few Carlton attacks. He’s capable of the occasional panic handball, but does also seem very composed by foot under pressure.

Moore – took his opportunities early with 2 very good first qtr goals. One a set shot and another a brilliant front and centre collect at pace finished with a dribble goal from about 15 out. Not prominent from then on but not bad either.

Minchington – Got his hands on it a bit up forward in the second half but nothing notable.

Last edited:
Carlton fans just gave their new #1 pick a standing ovation for a stock standard pressure act.
Understandable, those fans were only able to cheer twice last year. :drunk:

Would like to see Brand play more often.
I’ve been on cuz getting first dibs as a inside midfielder and hopefully he keeps his form high level so he can be a huge inclusion to help O’Meara, Shiels, Worpel and Burgoyne.
Cegs/ Big Boy combo is the way to go imo. No need to get all fancy and experimental and try Lewis early on in the season. Gotta feeling he may be looked at to take over from rough and not one of the rucks anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks guys for all the reports. It's greatly appreciated.

I am really hesitant to write Rough off. However, what I'm worried about is his consistency. In his role he should be having one to two average games in every 10. At the moment, he is having a lot more than that, and a number of poor games. He pops up and dominates once in a while, but it's the exception.

I hope he proves me wrong and that once the real stuff starts he is switched back on. Unfortunately, what I've heard from today is that it's more of the same as last year, which when we have young guys to pump games into doesn't sit well with me.

I too missed the first 5-10 minutes and my thoughts on Jones were a bit lower than many others. Maybe he killed it early? Don’t get me wrong I think he was good, just not amazing like some others are saying.

That marking contest where he pulled out and Simpson ran through, marked it uncontested and set up a goal was dissappointing for me too. Maybe they were told not to do anything silly in the praccy match and that’s why he pulled out?
Also pretty sure he was the one who got ridden into the ground and got the free then tried to handball it while he was laying down and silvagni chopped it off and ran into 50 for an easy shot. Also did one pretty ordinary turnover by foot. Looked promising but still think he sits behind cuz, worpel and Morrison for mid spots. Would of loved to see meadows out there, I can’t fathom us taking reeves over him.

Moore is a class act. Great little player in the making.

Cegs looked great. Looking like he is entering his prime now. Hope he stays healthy.

Brand again nice and steady across half back. Definitely settling in.

Was quite funny Cuz paid absolutely no respect by the blues and proceeded to win the ball at will time after time. Spent time at half fwd and performed there as well. Looking ready to play every game.

Like others missed the first 15 mins and after that thought Jones was fair. Kicking a query for mine and fitness which is fair enough for a youngster. He might sneak a game this year but is at least another 1 to 2 away from pushing up genuinely.

At one stage we had Frawley Mirra and Brand in our back 6!! Early on we had Frawley Stratts Hardwick Glass Sic and Jars in the back 6 which looked good for rebound. Jars was good.

Throw in Wingard Gunners Burger hopefully Birch and Scully in time and we have a very competitive side. Reminds me a bit of 07...good blend of old and new. Just need to find another Buddy...

With all the Roughead chatter about him not jumping and not marking. Could we play him in the middle? We are going to need to win contested ball with Tom Mitchell on the sidelines. Rough always did well in the clearances. Big body, lays a strong tackle, has a deft touch for a big guy. Leave McEvoy forward and have Rough/Cegs in the ruck?

Moore is a class act. Great little player in the making.

Cegs looked great. Looking like he is entering his prime now. Hope he stays healthy.

Brand again nice and steady across half back. Definitely settling in.

Was quite funny Cuz paid absolutely no respect by the blues and proceeded to win the ball at will time after time. Spent time at half fwd and performed there as well. Looking ready to play every game.

Like others missed the first 15 mins and after that thought Jones was fair. Kicking a query for mine and fitness which is fair enough for a youngster. He might sneak a game this year but is at least another 1 to 2 away from pushing up genuinely.

At one stage we had Frawley Mirra and Brand in our back 6!! Early on we had Frawley Stratts Hardwick Glass Sic and Jars in the back 6 which looked good for rebound. Jars was good.

Throw in Wingard Gunners Burger hopefully Birch and Scully in time and we have a very competitive side. Reminds me a bit of 07...good blend of old and new. Just need to find another Buddy...
Maybe another Cog as well 😏

With all the Roughead chatter about him not jumping and not marking. Could we play him in the middle? We are going to need to win contested ball with Tom Mitchell on the sidelines. Rough always did well in the clearances. Big body, lays a strong tackle, has a deft touch for a big guy. Leave McEvoy forward and have Rough/Cegs in the ruck?
It’s all good and well for him if he gets the ball but if he doesn’t then his lack of speed then becomes an issue. Love Roughy but everyone needs to perform to hold their spot and as harsh as it is what you did in the past doesn’t keep you in the best 22. It’s terribly sad and I hope he proves us all wrong but it sounds like the big fella might have little to nothing left in the tank 😭

Final score was Hawks 12.5.77 to 8.5.53....Blues kicked 4 of last 5 to put some respectability on the scoreboard, but it was truly all Hawks.

No other supporters eat their own like Blooz supporters, even in a praccy match, their supporters ravaged their own players. Garlett copped a hammering.

My thoughts:

1 - Harry Morrison - liked his game, did enough. Seemed to play on wing or HBF. Just a composed young player

2 - Roughy - could have kicked 4 but gave a lot off. Took some decent grabs and looks to be moving really well.

4 - Impey - I thought he was outstanding today. Gave us a spark off HBF and took a couple of courages grabs. Following on from a big pre-season, he looks primed for a big one

5 - Worpel - kicked a goal early then was a little quiet but finished strong. A good developing player, far from the finished product but all the talent is there, plus a bit of mongrel

6 - Sicily - took all the kick ins and thumped them down the wing. Was good in defence but got shown up when one-on-one with Curnow, as expected. Still was very good.

7 - McEvoy - dominated the ruck without Kreuzer there and solid around the ground

8 - Lewis - think he only played 2nd half, rarely sighted. Looked lost out there

10 - O'Meara - only played a half and was BOG during that time. Continuing a very good pre-season. Expecting big things.

11 - Nash - incredible athlete and did some nice things. Played primarily as a forward and used his speed well. Needs to develop a stronger body and learn how to use it. Has lighting speed, not sure what his best position will end up being

12 - Frawley - solid but not spectacular. Was having a lot of laughs with his oppo

13 - Glass - was in everything early then I didn't sight him much after that, except him falling over in a one-on-one vs Curnow which led to a goal against.

15 - Hardwick - solid again and just continuing to develop into a very good player

16 - Smith - played a lot of minutes as a high half forward. Solid game.

18 - Ceglar - thought he was exceptional actually. Good in ruck and around the ground. Just want to see him take more contested grabs

22 - Breust - looked very good, still the elite small forward of the comp

24 - Stratton - think he only played a Half and was very good

26 - Shiels - solid game, did very well in clearances and attended almost every centre bounce with JOM and Worpel

27 - Reeves (wearing Pitto's number) - only noticed him in last quarter, don't think he played much more than that. Tall boy, but he's miles off.

28 - Puopolo - looks back. Clean handling, pressure is back on. Primed for a big year

30 - Brand - thought he did very well, played better than Chip. Thought his skills were great.

31 - Henderson - think I saw him out there, but not often.

32 - Mirra - noticed him only in 2nd half but did well when required

36 - Moore - really really really impressive, especially early. Was involved in everything early with neat kicks and good movement. Lock in Round 1. He's very small, and a clever little forward, liken him to Jade Gresham.

38 - Minchington - 2nd half as a small forward, barely sighted

40 - Jones - did well early but I didn't see much special after that, despite all the other positive commentary

46 - Cousins - forgot him. He was pretty good after the first quarter. Should be looking to continue his impressive summer in the JLT series. Reckon he gets first crack in the 22 out of all the youngsters

Players I didn't mention didn't play

Last edited:
Final score was Hawks 12.5.77 to 8.5.53....Blues kicked 4 of last 5 to put some respectability on the scoreboard, but it was truly all Hawks.

No other supporters eat their own like Blooz supporters, even in a praccy match, their supporters ravaged their own players. Garlett copped a hammering.

My thoughts:

1 - Harry Morrison - liked his game, did enough. Seemed to play on wing or HBF. Just a composed young player

2 - Roughy - could have kicked 4 but gave a lot off. Took some decent grabs and looks to be moving really well.

4 - Impey - I thought he was outstanding today. Gave us a spark off HBF and took a couple of courages grabs. Following on from a big pre-season, he looks primed for a big one

5 - Worpel - kicked a goal early then was a little quiet but finished strong. A good developing player, far from the finished product but all the talent is there, plus a bit of mongrel

6 - Sicily - took all the kick ins and thumped them down the wing. Was good in defence but got shown up when one-on-one with Curnow, as expected. Still was very good.

7 - McEvoy - dominated the ruck without Kreuzer there and solid around the ground

8 - Lewis - think he only played 2nd half, rarely sighted. Looked lost out there

10 - O'Meara - only played a half and was BOG during that time. Continuing a very good pre-season. Expecting big things.

11 - Nash - incredible athlete and did some nice things. Played primarily as a forward and used his speed well. Needs to develop a stronger body and learn how to use it. Has lighting speed, not sure what his best position will end up being

12 - Frawley - solid but not spectacular. Was having a lot of laughs with his oppo

13 - Glass - was in everything early then I didn't sight him much after that, except him falling over in a one-on-one vs Curnow which led to a goal against.

15 - Hardwick - solid again and just continuing to develop into a very good player

16 - Smith - played a lot of minutes as a high half forward. Solid game.

18 - Ceglar - thought he was exceptional actually. Good in ruck and around the ground. Just want to see him take more contested grabs

22 - Breust - looked very good, still the elite small forward of the comp

24 - Stratton - think he only played a Half and was very good

26 - Shiels - solid game, did very well in clearances and attended almost every centre bounce with JOM and Worpel

27 - Reeves (wearing Pitto's number) - only noticed him in last quarter, don't think he played much more than that. Tall boy, but he's miles off.

28 - Puopolo - looks back. Clean handling, pressure is back on. Primed for a big year

30 - Brand - thought he did very well, played better than Chip. Thought his skills were great.

31 - Henderson - think I saw him out there, but not often.

32 - Mirra - noticed him only in 2nd half but did well when required

36 - Moore - really really really impressive, especially early. Was involved in everything early with neat kicks and good movement. Lock in Round 1. He's very small, and a clever little forward, liken him to Jade Gresham.

38 - Minchington - 2nd half as a small forward, barely sighted

40 - Jones - did well early but I didn't see much special after that, despite all the other positive commentary

Players I didn't mention didn't play
Except for Cuz

Without proper protection it would be silly not to pull out, right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back