Bluemour Discussion Thread XV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again I wasn’t referring to any aspect of Graham’s or Polson skill, rather where there career is headed.

But go on, explaining they are different players
Bit testy.

If the players are completely different, both in terms of their respective skillsets and their location in their careers, then comparing one to the other is a mite silly.

Again I wasn’t referring to any aspect of Graham’s or Polson skill, rather where there career is headed.

But go on, explaining they are different players
If you aren't basing your prediction on things like their skill levels, dedication, athletic ability then it's a fairly useless prediction isn't it?

Bit testy.

If the players are completely different, both in terms of their respective skillsets and their location in their careers, then comparing one to the other is a mite silly.
That’s exactly why I didn’t.

I simply used Graham as an example of someone who got stuck between the two levels, there has been plenty of them over the years, which is how I said I though Polson would end up. But hey like him so took it as a personal insult for some reason

Nick's AFL career failed because he wasn't big/strong enough to play inside at AFL level (he'd get tackled as he gathered the ball, and the tackle affected his disposal even if he broke free of it) whilst simultaneously being too slow of thought and by foot to be a distributor without more space than is allowed at AFL level. He, in a microcosm, displays what the difference between the game from the VFL days to now; he's a natural footballer, whose physical limitations cannot be overcome by his gamesense. And he suffers from the longest ball to foot technique I've ever seen.

Cam doesn't have those problems at all. He's seems to me to have the pace, and the kicking technique, the positioning, but it resembles one who was taught these things rather than them being instinctive for him. It's like someone learning a second language having to take a moment to translate what's said to them before translating their reply; it's a constant questioning, am I doing the right thing, am I in the right place? If/when he can do the right things at the right time without that hesitation, he could be very good, but it's waaaay too soon to write him off as another Nick Graham, IMO.
Great post, not sure why prospect players like Polson get so much air time on here. Obviously the coaches see something in him, that should be enough for us, time will tell.

That’s exactly why I didn’t.

I simply used Graham as an example of someone who got stuck between the two levels, there has been plenty of them over the years, which is how I said I though Polson would end up. But hey like him so took it as a personal insult for some reason
You seem to be of a false impression that I'm personally invested beyond the norm here. I disagreed a) with your comparison, due to it not being apples to apples for the reasons I've specified, and b) generalisations of the kind you're making ('players stuck inbetween AFL and VFL') fail to take into account the differences between individual players which can be the difference between success and failure.

Given the fact I disagreed with you is the basis of my post, what exactly were my other options to express this that would not have seemed personally invested? Would smoke signals have been more appropriate to get my point across?

You seem to be of a false impression that I'm personally invested beyond the norm here. I disagreed a) with your comparison, due to it not being apples to apples for the reasons I've specified, and b) generalisations of the kind you're making ('players stuck inbetween AFL and VFL') fail to take into account the differences between individual players which can be the difference between success and failure.

Given the fact I disagreed with you is the basis of my post, what exactly were my other options to express this?
You probably should have realised after being told once not twice, that I wasn’t referring to skill, speed or body type. It’s annoying having to repeat yourself. Then we wouldn’t have started a Graham v Polson comparison.

You probably should have realised after being told once not twice, that I wasn’t referring to skill, speed or body type. It’s annoying having to repeat yourself. Then we wouldn’t have started a Graham v Polson comparison.

You're right, it is indeed annoying to have to repeat yourself. Are you actually reading the posts I'm writing, or just taking in the gist of them?

Your analogy stinks because it fails to take into account the differences between the two players beyond the excessively general, in order to make a point about Polson's trajectory. Any argument based on poor logic fails on that poor logic. That you do not like this being pointed out is not my problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick's AFL career failed because he wasn't big/strong enough to play inside at AFL level (he'd get tackled as he gathered the ball, and the tackle affected his disposal even if he broke free of it) whilst simultaneously being too slow of thought and by foot to be a distributor without more space than is allowed at AFL level. He, in a microcosm, displays what the difference between the game from the VFL days to now; he's a natural footballer, whose physical limitations cannot be overcome by his gamesense. And he suffers from the longest ball to foot technique I've ever seen.

Cam doesn't have those problems at all. He's seems to me to have the pace, and the kicking technique, the positioning, but it resembles one who was taught these things rather than them being instinctive for him. It's like someone learning a second language having to take a moment to translate what's said to them before translating their reply; it's a constant questioning, am I doing the right thing, am I in the right place? If/when he can do the right things at the right time without that hesitation, he could be very good, but it's waaaay too soon to write him off as another Nick Graham, IMO.

Thats the weird thing with Cam. Whereas Graham was slow for AFL level (but a fine VFL player), Polson is quick and agile.

Yet he always looks rushed.

I cant put my finger on it; if he's overawed by AFL, overthinking it (or not thinking it through), lacks belief/ has self doubt or it's something else.

Same with his kicking; he's a much better kick than what he shows at AFL level where he sprays the s**t out of them.

I think he's definately one we need to persist with, because he has the physical attributes. He just needs the right coaching.

Thats the weird thing with Cam. Whereas Graham was slow for AFL level (but a fine VFL player), Polson is quick and agile.

Yet he always looks rushed.

I cant put my finger on it; if he's overawed by AFL, overthinking it (or not thinking it through), lacks belief/ has self doubt or it's something else.

Same with his kicking; he's a much better kick than what he shows at AFL level where he sprays the s**t out of them.

I think he's definately one we need to persist with, because he has the physical attributes. He just needs the right coaching.

Fast legs, slow footy brain under pressure and panics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back