Prediction Is it a weakness to rely on your Ruckman being in your top 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

All this talk about Balta....

Sure, he's got a huge upside, but based on last year's VFL performances, CCJ must be ahead of him.

Part of the problem of having a guy who can do everything is that it takes time to learn everything, so his development is slower.

I reckon when we play the stronger ruck sides...
And possibly while TLynch misses the first few rounds...
And maybe JReiwoldt possibly the 1st round...
I would be tempted to trial and play..
Nanks at FF/CHF...
JR at CHF/FF...
Soldo Ruck...tap...
When Soldo needs a rest he goes FF, rucks forward, and Nanks patrols the kickouts...
Worth a trial...

I reckon when we play the stronger ruck sides...
And possibly while TLynch misses the first few rounds...
And maybe JReiwoldt possibly the 1st round...
I would be tempted to trial and play..
Nanks at FF/CHF...
JR at CHF/FF...
Soldo Ruck...tap...
When Soldo needs a rest he goes FF, rucks forward, and Nanks patrols the kickouts...
Worth a trial...

Soldo not versatile enough to share the rucks and also play a role , more so if nank is injured. I’d like to think the A grade option is into a utility type like Balta or even chol that can also be starting XVIII when not in ruck , CCJ might be. Chance looking forward to see if he gets a s**t in JLT

To answer the question, I think so. Particularly if they get injured!

Center clearances are always a concern when Grigg takes them which is why we usually set up with 8 in D50 but this actually didnt happen that often IMO. Normally Nank will take the centre bounce then go for a rest. It takes time for the ball to get back to the middle after a goal is kicked and if it is a set shot then Nank will easily make it back to the middle from the bench in time for the next bounce.

Am I the only one who thinks the new rule that allows rucks to grab it out of the ruck will actually benefit us, particularly in the forward 50? Traditional rucks take a long time to dispose of the ball.... Bolton, Rioli and even Riewoldt on the other hand.... I can see them guys grabbing the ball and getting a free shot at goal pretty frequently against other cumbersome ruckman. Good luck defending that.

Soldo is a decent tap but we'd loose speed.

I'd prefer to go with a speedy tall like Balta maybe Moore as they are only pinch hitting. The problem with Grigg is that he doesn't even contest while "rucking" he doesn't jump just stands there, the pinch hitter at least needs to halve the contest and put psychical pressure on the Opo ruck.
Unfortunately according some Balta isn't quite ready yet...

Soldo is a decent tap but we'd loose speed.

I'd prefer to go with a speedy tall like Balta maybe Moore as they are only pinch hitting. The problem with Grigg is that he doesn't even contest while "rucking" he doesn't jump just stands there, the pinch hitter at least needs to halve the contest and put psychical pressure on the Opo ruck.
Unfortunately according some Balta isn't quite ready yet...
None of us really know how Balta will go. I'm riding the Balta train, some say it is too soon. Only those who watch training really know. May come on like a young Richo, may take longer like Rance.

None of us really know how Balta will go. I'm riding the Balta train, some say it is too soon. Only those who watch training really know. May come on like a young Richo, may take longer like Rance.

Hopefully more like Richo, I'd love to see play this year early on and get consistent games, could be anything!

Yes. But then it could also be argued that our reliance on nank around the grounds is a weakness.
Yeah, I think the strengths of your ruck dictate or has more influence on your gamestyle probably than any other position.
We don’t really play the get out kick down the line to Nank like Essendon do to Bellchambers for more than one reason I spose but one of em is most Rucks are bigger.
Nanks strengths, tackling bit of Bash and crash, get the ball out of the pack contribute to our overall gamestyle better, pressure and getting the ball forward so he becomes another role player in the same system not just a stand alone skill set like..a tap ruckman or the guy who can beat most in a marking contest cause he’s a tall bastard so we got more hands and bodies doin the same thing with the same sorta hive mentality than most teams.
I don’t reckon Lynch is the answer when Nank is off the ground, and he only seems to rest off the ground, I reckon it should come from the backline somehow so we don’t lessen our weapons.
I reckon you might have to be able to kick 17 goals to win games this year.

Yeah, I think the strengths of your ruck dictate or has more influence on your gamestyle probably than any other position.
We don’t really play the get out kick down the line to Nank like Essendon do to Bellchambers for more than one reason I spose but one of em is most Rucks are bigger.
Nanks strengths, tackling bit of Bash and crash, get the ball out of the pack contribute to our overall gamestyle better, pressure and getting the ball forward so he becomes another role player in the same system not just a stand alone skill set like..a tap ruckman or the guy who can beat most in a marking contest cause he’s a tall bastard so we got more hands and bodies doin the same thing with the same sorta hive mentality than most teams.
I don’t reckon Lynch is the answer when Nank is off the ground, and he only seems to rest off the ground, I reckon it should come from the backline somehow so we don’t lessen our weapons.
I reckon you might have to be able to kick 17 goals to win games this year.
Spot on. It's a strength that he's so well suited to our game style. But it's a weakness since we don't have anyone around his size who can perform to his level (yet). If he goes down, do we have anyone else who can do anything besides tap and mark? That being said, I don't think it's a problem exclusive to us. Every team is reliant on their ruckman. The best teams mitigate that reliance. We did it in 2017 with our gameplan/positional structures. West Coast did it last year simply by virtue of the fact that two half decent rucks are better than one elite ruck.

Don't want Lynch anywhere near the ruck after his knee issues. You could be onto something re: one of the backs rucking. Wouldn't risk Astbury. Chol played back in the VFL last year and pinch hits in the ruck. But I wouldn't drop anyone for Chol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way to negate the top
Opposition rucks is to deliberately attack the man. If you are not likely to at least half the contest put the knee in, knock him down if necessary. Give away a free but give your wings and midfielders time to get back. Nankervis failed to attack Grundy in prelim and we paid the price.

Spoken like someone whose played a bit of under-sized ruck. And it takes one to know one ;)

Imo Grigg or someone similar in the ruck will still be usable everywhere on the ground besides the centre bounce. If the opposing ruckman takes possession of the ball your ruckman just has to make sure to tackle them quickly, I can't see how the rule making much of a difference

Rance played 15 games in yr two.
Balta unlike Rance was physically ready to go from day dot.

Richo played 14 games yr one and 19 in yr two.

Last edited:
In answer to the op question. Its clearly an advantage to have a top notch ruckman just like its an advantage to have a top notch kpd or kpf or mid for that matter.

Rance played 15 games in yr two.
Balta unlike Rance was physically ready to go from day dot.

Richo played 14 games yr one and 19 in yr two.
Yes Rance played 15 games in year 2, but only 10 in year 3. So up and down in those 3 years and moved around a lot in the VFL. Was given games early a bit because we weren't much chop back then. Was dropped back 3rd year to learn to play the game as the coaches wanted.

I don't mind the idea KiwiTiger had about playing Astbury as the secondary ruck.

Could be a good way to get Garth into the side (perhaps in place of Broad) as the extra defensive cover.

Garth has even played the forward/ruck role well before in the VFL, but he is slightly undersized

People forget how s**t we were. To put it in context Ben Nason played 19 games in his first year
He was actually third highest goalkicker in 2010 just behind Andy Collins who kicked a grand total of 15 goals...fmd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back