Game Day Practice Match Carlton v Hawthorn - February 21st 4.00PM @ Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno if anyone has mentioned it before, but **** it was great being back at Princes Park, bright sunny day and watching the Blue boys strutting their stuff like back in the old days :) They can shove their Docklands Stadium up their collective clackers!!

Read through all of the posts from this arvo, and other posters have pretty much summed it up pretty well. As much as we would all like things to turn around overnite, it's still gonna take a while to get games into younger guys, and start gelling as a group. Our disposal today though at times was just like last year...the Dawks were a class above us in that department, and unfortunately other teams during the year will be as well unless we can turn it around.

Also we didn't have a recognised ruckman today, so being up against McEvoy and Ceglar, we were always going to get beaten up. We got smashed in the centre bounces and stoppages....couldn't get first use of the ball, so they had a lot of control for the entire game. No rucks or Crippa, we were always going to be up against it.

A few observations though.

OMFG, what have we got here in Sammy Walsh? It's no wonder after the first training session of the year, Doc went to the coaching staff and said "we've got one here", they replied "yeah we know", and he replied "no no no, we've REALLY got one here". I spotted Slobbo at the game...he was on Macquarie Sports during the course of the match, and said "this kid is a jet, doesn't run, just glides." Jon Ralph also on Macquarie Sports gave his summary of the game, first thing he said was "I just saw the 2021 Brownlow Medallist running around out there today." Pretty big raps, but aren't we glad now so far we didn't trade our #1 pick with GCS??

Cuners was superb today...I'll admit, I've been a bit afraid he'll just be another young player that drifts into oblivion, but he really surprised me today with his speed and skill, especially under pressure. I'm probably just imagining things, but him and Lachie seemed to be walking a bit taller today....it seems like they may have more confidence in themselves now just looking at their body language. Lachie off a wing was also excellent.

SPS...now with a full preseason under his belt, fitness shouldn't be an issue...which in turn means he can now display his class and skills without being under fatigue. Could be anything this year. Showed his class today.

Gibbo struggled a little with the tempo, especially early in the game....mind you, they had him as a small forward, which is NOT his go. Got into it more in the second half once moved into the guts. He is a natural footballer though, and still feel he will improve pretty quickly with more game time. No doubting his effort though, he's a little terrier, and throws himself right into the fold.

Jones crucial to our backline at the moment, provides the big body bash and crash, and can go head to head with the oppo's key forwards. Weiters was superb (he's become a bit of a beast now he's bulked up), but looks to have the confidence back to attack the contest. He'll be important. Newman will also be good off half back, he's got the goods. Not sure about Plowman.

Garlett. I'll sum it up as a player who is so gifted with speed and skill, but defence aint his go. Showed some wonderful skills at times, but once he got the pill in defence, seemed to put himself under pressure to try and create something off half back, only to turn it over again and again. If he was playing at half forward rather than half back today, I got a feeling there would have been some pretty glowing reports. Could be a really dangerous half forward who could turn the opposition defence around, like a Jeffy.

Setters. Looked way short of a gallop, but only his 3rd senior game in 2 and a bit years. Big unit though....started on the forward line and looked like another key forward next to H and Charles. Didn't really get into the game, but they moved him into the mid during the course.

Goddard a huge lump of a human being. From what I saw today, he doesn't look like he's terribly skilled (although he has missed a lot of footy) but occupies a lot of space on the backline. He may just be the 'go with' defender on a similar type gorilla to provide the physical pressure.

A lot of good signs today, but we still have to have patience.

Are you high?
Think of Leeda like the logical conclusion of Stig after 12, at his most incomprehensible, with worse spelling/grammar and more weirdness.

He's an absolute treasure, and can come up with some of the most interesting perspectives on some of the other boards, if you can interpret what he's saying at any given time.

Think of Leeda like the logical conclusion of Stig after 12, at his most incomprehensible, with worse spelling/grammar and more weirdness.

He's an absolute treasure, and can come up with some of the most interesting perspectives on some of the other boards, if you can interpret what he's saying at any given time.

Appreciate the info Gethelred, admittedly I was a bit snarky in retrospect. I'm sorry that we got off on the wrong foot, Leeda, if you'd like to PM me to discuss your thoughts please feel free to do so.

Could Walsh play early off half back with no Williamson. Basically doing what Mcgrath, Mills, Heppell, S.Hill types have done year one.

Murphy, Curnow look set for wing time as you develop Dow, Fisher and Setters inside with Kennedy and Cripps. SPS a high half forward allows him to hit the scoreboard aswell.

The only way i dont see Walsh off halfback filling an early void is if Williamson is back and or Daisy is played there again and backed in across half back.

Probably our biggest query going into this year.
We clearly have the talent, although still quite a young team.

But tactically we need to see improvement this year and an organised team...many times last year our players looked disorganised on the field and didn't know what to do with ball in hand.
Only a practice match but as far as systems go there didn’t seem to be one. Hawthorn on the other hand with many young players were well,Hawthorn like and that says a lot.

Walsh was ridiculous, Samo pretty good. I thought Gibbons was pretty good too for his first outing.

But like one of the other posters mentioned - WT absolute F was going on with Plowman's hair??? It reminded me of the time my dad tried to put a black dye through his hair but didn't realise the colour was actually something like Black Cherry, and all the Cherry went straight to his greys and stood out like you know whats.

Haha that was me who posted that.

I was looking at him like "Who the hell is this blood nut running around in the backline". Could only tell by his number.

Honestly the sun just made it glow for some reason haha

Could Walsh play early off half back with no Williamson. Basically doing what Mcgrath, Mills, Heppell, S.Hill types have done year one.

Murphy, Curnow look set for wing time as you develop Dow, Fisher and Setters inside with Kennedy and Cripps. SPS a high half forward allows him to hit the scoreboard aswell.

The only way i dont see Walsh off halfback filling an early void is if Williamson is back and or Daisy is played there again and backed in across half back.
I'd rather not ruin him by playing him in defence. None of McGrath, Mills or Hill have set the world on fire. Let him play his natural position

I'd rather not ruin him by playing him in defence. None of McGrath, Mills or Hill have set the world on fire. Let him play his natural position

100% correct. Those guys don't have the midfield nous of Walsh, who is an absolute natural and ready to go right now.

Would be a waste of his time and ours.

Man he was soooooooo skinny only 9 months ago at U18 champs, wtf happened? He's put on, and I kid everyone not, at least 5kg of muscle in that time. Physical progress has been extraordinary.

Hated the handful of bell end supporters around me who hated everything and everyone and were mentioning membership refunds. Our club doesn't need you.
I think most of us know who they are. They have this amazing ability to turn a relaxing day at Princes Park into a nightmare.

Are you serious? If so and you wanna talk about it let me know.

No matter what you aren't alone.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I probably shouldn't joke about such things knowing how serious they are. My wife has suffered from it for 4 years. No fun.

Thanks mate. It's a question that should always be asked.

Walsh will play in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I probably shouldn't joke about such things knowing how serious they are. My wife has suffered from it for 4 years. No fun.

Thanks mate. It's a question that should always be asked.
Kinda figured it wasnt serious, but I had to make sure.

Sometime life can get the best of us. We gotta try to help each other where we can.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

No need to hide him off half back like those guys. He’s miles ahead of them at the same stage. He’s already at ‘very good senior afl mid’ level football. As I’ve said ad nauseum: 23 possesions a game, no need for resting, no need for weeks off.

The only mistake they are making is playing him on a wing.

Put
Him
In
The
Middle

Dunno if anyone has mentioned it before, but **** it was great being back at Princes Park, bright sunny day and watching the Blue boys strutting their stuff like back in the old days :) They can shove their Docklands Stadium up their collective clackers!!

Read through all of the posts from this arvo, and other posters have pretty much summed it up pretty well. As much as we would all like things to turn around overnite, it's still gonna take a while to get games into younger guys, and start gelling as a group. Our disposal today though at times was just like last year...the Dawks were a class above us in that department, and unfortunately other teams during the year will be as well unless we can turn it around.

Also we didn't have a recognised ruckman today, so being up against McEvoy and Ceglar, we were always going to get beaten up. We got smashed in the centre bounces and stoppages....couldn't get first use of the ball, so they had a lot of control for the entire game. No rucks or Crippa, we were always going to be up against it.

A few observations though.

OMFG, what have we got here in Sammy Walsh? It's no wonder after the first training session of the year, Doc went to the coaching staff and said "we've got one here", they replied "yeah we know", and he replied "no no no, we've REALLY got one here". I spotted Slobbo at the game...he was on Macquarie Sports during the course of the match, and said "this kid is a jet, doesn't run, just glides." Jon Ralph also on Macquarie Sports gave his summary of the game, first thing he said was "I just saw the 2021 Brownlow Medallist running around out there today." Pretty big raps, but aren't we glad now so far we didn't trade our #1 pick with GCS??

Cuners was superb today...I'll admit, I've been a bit afraid he'll just be another young player that drifts into oblivion, but he really surprised me today with his speed and skill, especially under pressure. I'm probably just imagining things, but him and Lachie seemed to be walking a bit taller today....it seems like they may have more confidence in themselves now just looking at their body language. Lachie off a wing was also excellent.

SPS...now with a full preseason under his belt, fitness shouldn't be an issue...which in turn means he can now display his class and skills without being under fatigue. Could be anything this year. Showed his class today.

Gibbo struggled a little with the tempo, especially early in the game....mind you, they had him as a small forward, which is NOT his go. Got into it more in the second half once moved into the guts. He is a natural footballer though, and still feel he will improve pretty quickly with more game time. No doubting his effort though, he's a little terrier, and throws himself right into the fold.

Jones crucial to our backline at the moment, provides the big body bash and crash, and can go head to head with the oppo's key forwards. Weiters was superb (he's become a bit of a beast now he's bulked up), but looks to have the confidence back to attack the contest. He'll be important. Newman will also be good off half back, he's got the goods. Not sure about Plowman.

Garlett. I'll sum it up as a player who is so gifted with speed and skill, but defence aint his go. Showed some wonderful skills at times, but once he got the pill in defence, seemed to put himself under pressure to try and create something off half back, only to turn it over again and again. If he was playing at half forward rather than half back today, I got a feeling there would have been some pretty glowing reports. Could be a really dangerous half forward who could turn the opposition defence around, like a Jeffy.

Setters. Looked way short of a gallop, but only his 3rd senior game in 2 and a bit years. Big unit though....started on the forward line and looked like another key forward next to H and Charles. Didn't really get into the game, but they moved him into the mid during the course.

Goddard a huge lump of a human being. From what I saw today, he doesn't look like he's terribly skilled (although he has missed a lot of footy) but occupies a lot of space on the backline. He may just be the 'go with' defender on a similar type gorilla to provide the physical pressure.

A lot of good signs today, but we still have to have patience.
Garlett just needs time in my opinion. He could very well turn out our Jetta at half back. His abilities are there and I congratulate him on trying to release players in tough spots yesterday. He obviously missed some targets but it’ll get better as he continues to try the same things. Let’s hope they give him the same role v Essendon next Thursday.

At this rate Walsh could be the first player to be tagged in his first game.

It was nice that they mentioned Hawks had a plethora of stars out, but no mention of Cripps, Kruezer, Fisher, Marchbank even add Docherty and Pickett because she mentioned Mitchell and Scully.
Could not possibly be as diabolical bad as the match report on the AFL website.

It was basically as though Carlton played an intraclub game and Walsh played well.
It did mention a few other Carlton players who had good games.
The only mention of anything remotely about Hawthorn was at the the end of the article where they put the score up.

Bit of feedback. Coaches very happy. No injuries and some positive bits of play. Lots of players played in unusual roles. Fitness and running was really good. Russell didn't want them going 100% in first game so minutes and positioning limited. Got what they wanted out of it. Next week will see a bit more structured and focusing on game plan with further focus on JLT2 which will be close to Rd One line up.

Could not possibly be as diabolical bad as the match report on the AFL website.

It was basically as though Carlton played an intraclub game and Walsh played well.
It did mention a few other Carlton players who had good games.
The only mention of anything remotely about Hawthorn was at the the end of the article where they put the score up.

There is a Carlton related report featuring Walsh and a Hawthorn related report featuring Cousins.

2019 is all about game plan and tactics that suits the players. No more Cunners at half back, SPS at half back and other such experimental nonsense we saw in 2018. Winning games is not the be all and end all this year - working as a pact cohesive unit with a game plan that wins games in 2020 is the be all and end all. I want to see tactical prowress.

I have not seen the Blues be a clinical unit since the first three rounds of 2012 and the list in 2012 wasnt much chop. Thats a long time.

No more disjointed efforts in 2019.

Has anyone had the thought that we didn’t play a genuine ruckman yesterday for a reason. To give our defenders a chance to cope with the pressure of the mids losing the clearance and having to cope with it coming in as it would under these conditions. And they also wanted our backline to move the ball from one end to the other off half back rather than playing Kruezer Cripps and fisher and Ed inthe middle which more likely wins is a clearance and we get an easy inside 50. I think on Thursday next week we will the other end getting the easy ball as we will win a lot of clearances v Essendon compared to going up against ceglar and macevoy without a genuine ruck option. Great learning opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back