Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Williams on SEN SA this morning
"It wouldn't have happened on my watch".
Tbh it shouldn't have happened on anyone's watch.

The Williams family were always going to be against it.

It is their football club after all.

I have never had less confidence in the decision makers at our club.
I have never felt less listened to.

2 captains - one vice captain - what a joke.
So if Ollie doesn't play Round 1 is Hamish an acting co-captain or does he remain as a vice-captain?

Clearly Ken has said to the candidates - if you successfully jump through hoops A, B, C you qualify as sole captain.
No-one jumped through Hoop C successfully.
Hence we don't have anyone qualified to be sole captain.
Hence the pensive looks from both parties as both are declared as co-captain.
Co-captain is code for you are not good enough to be sole captain.
So rather than pick the best person for the job, we decided that no one gets to wear #1.

So who leads on the field now that we know that no one is qualified to do so?
Maybe natural selection will take place and a true leader will emerge on the field.
Time will tell.

Ken, Keith and Koch have made an absolute mess of something that should have been very simple.
Do the honourable thing and walk away.

What we need now is for some real Port Adelaide people, people that actually played for this club, to stand up and take back the club on behalf of the people.

Not AFL appointees, real Port Adelaide people.

Last edited:

The one good thing out of all of this is there is enormous pressure to perform now. They know it isn't a popular decision for members so I'm hoping this translates into a greater effort from all that put on the jumper for 22 rounds.

If we fail to make finals people will go.

Heard that before several times !
Have you seen how this playing and coaching group perform under pressure?

So KT is now linking change made from necessity to an arbitrary decision to appoint Co Captains? We were forced into many changes because of circumstances beyond our control. We reunited as One Club because we should never have been split in the first place, we were forced to give up our talent zones by the SANFL, were were forced to abandon the black and white by Collingwood and the AFL but no outside influence forced us to go with Co Captains. To argue that the appointment of Co Captains is part of a change mechanism that will see us evolve into a modern AFL powerhouse is simply more PR hype intended to appease a disgruntled membership. No where in his latest memo does the CEO actually outline how having two Captains with give us more success than having a Captain and a Vice Captain.

The question I have for KT is, 'how is dismantling a 149 year old tradition that was carried throughout our time as the Magpies in the SANFL showing the Magpies respect? It could be argued that it is the exact opposite.

What is significant is that two Port Adelaide products in Jack Cahill and Warren Tredrea are not in favour of Co Captains while two imports in Dom Cassis and Matt Primus back the move. Clearly Cassis and Primus relate only to the AFL while Jack and Tredders can go back further. I think that tells us a bit as we have a Coaching staff, CEO and playing list full of imports and perhaps we should not expect them to appreciate the Port Adelaide history and tradition in the same way that the true believers do. Of the current list I think only Brad Ebert, Scott Lycett and Sam Gray would have played their junior footy at Alberton and too soon these players will be gone. Our Coaching staff has plenty of Port AFL experience on it but no one who was part of our pre AFL history. This is what disappoints me most about David Koch, he is supposed to be an old time Port supporter and as such he should have a better apprecition as to what tradition means but he has allowed this to happen on his watch.

I don’t see how your tradition has been foregone. Whilst you have co-captains the guernsey goes on leave only to return when a single captain is appointed. I see it more as a strengthening of the tradition because neither of those lads has earned the right to wear it yet, so it doesn’t get worn. I think that in a lot of cases the guernsey issue is being mixed up with people’s personal view on co-captains.

And good luck to those 2 boys, they obviously both deserve the honour because everyone knows that if the club was able to split them, they absolutely would have.
No offence but piss off back to where you come from.
Who did you support before the crows were created to stop us entering the afl!

i dont really care if there are co-captains or not, i like the tradition but im not going to be bound by it, what i do care about the reasoning of why 2 captains, it seems to me that they only made Ollie captain not because they genuinely believe he's the best man for the job but because of external pressures that he was the anointed one and the fear of offending and having to tell Ollie they were wrong the whole time about his abilities, it also wreaks of a weakness in the whole coaching group to not be able to make the hard decision of picking 1 and not the other.

So how does it actually work in practice? Two "leaders" in different parts of the field potentially disagreeing. How does this get communicated either between them or to the players? Can't even use runners during play this year.

Can't help thinking it's designed to give Kern even more control as the players will lack effective onfield guidance.

Hopefully Ebo and Charlie up forward will drive their own agenda regardless.

The club is so disconnected with its members at the moment I can honestly see how people just walk away. Home from work to see an email giving me 'exclusive inner sanctum access' to the co-captain announcement. No concept that I and many others see this as a line in the sand moment for how our opinions are disregarded.

View attachment 623426
They held a $99 premium inner sanctum experience for members a few days after the Board meeting at which co-captains were ratified and didn't see fit to share it with those who attended. Yet, PORT ADELAIDE CEO Keith Thomas says the club’s unique Member Convention is a sign of respect in its most important stakeholders.

Those that are saying that co-captains are not that big of an issue and we should get over it and back the club in are missing the point IMO. It's the contempt for the members and supporters from the hypocrites running the club that is the issue.

Last edited:
The club is so disconnected with its members at the moment I can honestly see how people just walk away. Home from work to see an email giving me 'exclusive inner sanctum access' to the co-captain announcement. No concept that I and many others see this as a line in the sand moment for how our opinions are disregarded.

View attachment 623426

This has to be a new low, having the players pretend to be surprised. Is there anything left at the club that's real?

Really looking forward to our poor season being blamed on co-captains.
Yep agreed had the same thought
Its likely we will have a similar finishing position this year to last and Kern keeps crapping on about performance changing our minds

Won’t happen we will bomb again (it’s in Hinkleys DNA), Cahills right this puts more pressure on the team to perform and it already has heaps

So, basically:

57upIJ0.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not concerned about the “tradition” side of things, although it’s a bit sad that we’ll never see a number 1 out there for as long as this leadership policy is in place.

What I’m concerned about is that I’ve always viewed co-captains as a sign of a weak willed club unwilling to make a difficult decision. And in light of the sundry other terrible decisions the club has made in the last (1, 2, 3, 4?) years it’s yet another sign that from the Chairman to the Coach, we’re being run by a bunch of cowardly frauds.

Calm down lol

The amount of overreactions in this thread is crazy
An organisation with a large bearing on my emotional state for ~6 months of the year is under the dictatorial control of an unelected swine who is actively destroying it.

So I'm finding it kind of hard to remain calm.

Back