FTA-TV MAFS Feb 3 2020- where you'll need to stop swearing- we don't speak unemployed

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
TV AND RADIO
Gripping, tawdry drama, but MAFS misses a real opportunity
Married at First Sight is the biggest show on TV right now. But isn't it time it used its power for good rather than evil?
I am surely not the only person in Australia who feels conflicted about Married at First Sight right now. It is riveting television, even more so than last year's car-crash series. But it is so tawdry that as soon as it's over I feel the need to give my eyeballs a good hard scrub.
Though it still nominally clings to the idea that it uses "science" to match strangers harmoniously, MAFS now seems far more interested in matching at least some of its couples for maximum conflict.
But while the show's evolution into a soap opera starring real people makes for great television, it also represents a missed opportunity to genuinely deliver on the now-laughable promise of "social experiment".
Matchmakers always ask what "type" a client is looking for, and MAFS is no different. But rather than trying to successfully match complementary types with each other, the show appears more intent on matching itself with the types it needs for a fully rounded cast: ticking biological clock, check; philanderer kidding himself he's ready to settle down, check; needy type with trust issues, you betcha.
As drama, it works a treat. But as matchmaking it's a farce: one successful pairing in five seasons attests to that.
None of which would matter were it not for the negative impact all this stereotyping and toying with people's vulnerabilities has – not just on the participants, but on those of us who watch as well.
This week, we've had the extraordinary claim by one participant, Lauren Huntriss, that she had been bullied by producers into describing herself on-air as a lesbian, that she had been matched with a man who "suffer mental health issues", and that others on the show also had issues that the pre-show psychological screening had evidently not detected.
True or not, we can safely conclude that pathological narcissism is considered an asset, not a liability, in the casting department.
I've argued in the past that there is value in seeing our behaviour, good and bad, reflected back at us, that shows like MAFS offer us the opportunity to reflect and amend. But with the dynamics now reduced for the most part to conflict between ill-matched types, the "lessons" we're able to take from the show are increasingly toxic – as some of the woman-hating comments attached to the petition to sack relationship expert Mel Schilling from the show attest.
Sure it's been fun to see Ines cast as a sexually predatory villain, but in doing so MAFS has missed a great opportunity to engage with real human complexity. To show empathy.
"Ever since I was a young child, I just didn't really have an interest in other people's business," Ines said at girls' night this week, when accused (rightly) of cheating with Sam. "I just think you should mind your own business. Like, girl code doesn't exist for me. I just focus on myself, and my impact on the world."
It's easy to cast that as the credo of a narcissistic home-wrecker, and it served the storyline to do so. But imagine if, instead of skipping right past her references to post-traumatic stress disorder, the producers had prodded the experts to unpack that a little, and explored the impact Ines' childhood in war-torn Bosnia and her parents' divorce might have had in shaping her world view.
Then we might have seen it not just as selfish, but also as a form of self-defence. We might have recognised some of her instincts in our own behaviour. And who knows, those "experts" might even have helped Ines to reflect and maybe even change, just a little.
There's been great entertainment value too in the on-again off-again "marriage" of Sam and Elizabeth, but imagine if the producers had prodded the experts to expose Sam's constant lying to his instawife.
How many of us have wished, in the middle of a marital dispute, we'd had a recording of what had been said? Well, these people actually have them.
Calling Sam on his deceptions, masked by the outrageous insistence that "I've been so honest, and trying for you, not for me", would have allowed the experts to address the issue of gaslighting in relationships, to explore the damage it does, to show how it diminishes both parties. Instead, the arguments were allowed to remain in he said-she said mode, delivering conflict but no clarity, and certainly no opportunity for the sparring partners, or viewers, to learn.
I'm not suggesting Married at First Sight shouldn't milk its contrived scenarios for maximum drama – of course it should. But I am suggesting it could do more. It's the biggest show on TV right now; isn't it time it used its power for good rather than evil?
MAFS could so easily put its relationship experts to proper work on air rather than just use them to make fluffy generic observations. There, they could explore the reasons for the participants' behaviour, explain how those behaviours sabotage their relationships, and suggest how the participants might affect some meaningful change in those behaviours so that they – and those of us watching at home – might actually gain some useful knowledge from the whole tawdry mess.
Call me old-fashioned, call me a crazy romantic fool, but I truly believe there's scope to make television that is both entertaining and educational.
As it stands, MAFS is just voyeurism. But tweak it a little and this "social experiment" might actually have some genuine social value.
Follow the author on Facebook at karlquinnjournalist and on twitter @karlkwin
Sounds like this "author" is trying to cash in on some of them yummy MAFS ratings.

I dont watch Talking Married.

Can you break if down for us what he said??

Bassically said he made some mistakes and would do things differently if he had his time again and was dissapointed in Sam's behaviour. He did say he didn't know alot about what was going on with other couples as he was so caught up in his relationship so he has been surprised at what he has seen. He said he wished he hadn't given out so much advice.

Interesting comment from the CEO of Channel 9 on 'Media Week' which suggests we might see things pulled back next year. This is just an extract from a bigger interview about all things Channel 9.

Have you been concerned about some of the MAFS content?

"I occasionally get involved in content discussions. I like to watch the shows go to air as a viewer. We need to look at the long term value of that show. Fundamentally it is about love and I thought the balance between some of the drama and the truth of the show being about love – we need to maintain the balance over the long term for that franchise. That drama has created audiences, no doubt about it looking at the growth. I just wanted a bit more balance."

Sunday is going be epic

Hope Jess cops a mouthful calling out Liz about the finger in the mouth when drunk at the dinner party, little hypocritical idiot that was disrespectful, has a crack at her man about telling the boys they had slept together but can call Liz out on that stuff.

Can't wait for these 2 to get what's coming to them, I bet Ines walks away, can tell she is a huge coward, acts tough.

Shall we change up the thread title until Sunday?

Hit me with your best peoples

Going with a royal theme:
- Carrying on like King Dingaling
- The madness of King Dingaling
- The coronation of King Dingaling
- All hail King Dingaling
- The court of King Dingaling
- King Dingaling abdication crisis (sorry, that should be ab-dingaling-ation crisis)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the very least the aim should be to pick couples that have an attraction to each other. Sam told the camera's multiple times at the beginning his type was 'brunette and petite' and they match him up with Liz, a giant, blonde cockatoo.
Obviously Sam is a dick, but watching them together is just painful.

Then there's the android matched up with Gay Leno, whether that was just a lack of attraction or he was majorly put off by her, which I can understand.

Mel and Dino? Don't know what anyone was thinking with that one, perhaps going the opposites attract 'route' (for lack of a better term).

Interesting comment from the CEO of Channel 9 on 'Media Week' which suggests we might see things pulled back next year. This is just an extract from a bigger interview about all things Channel 9.

Have you been concerned about some of the MAFS content?

"I occasionally get involved in content discussions. I like to watch the shows go to air as a viewer. We need to look at the long term value of that show. Fundamentally it is about love and I thought the balance between some of the drama and the truth of the show being about love – we need to maintain the balance over the long term for that franchise. That drama has created audiences, no doubt about it looking at the growth. I just wanted a bit more balance."

We are feeling this in the edit.

upcoming storyline is getting a lot of protection

The cast were too crazy for channel 9 this year. So if the above is true and not just lip service, which I suspect it is, we will see less models on the show next year. Will be interesting to see what the ratings do!

Mel and Dino? Don't know what anyone was thinking with that one

We all hate that one. Serves the execs right for attempting to cast the next Troy. It would have been A grade tv to see Mel matched up with someone worthwhile.

We all hate that one. Serves the execs right for attempting to cast the next Troy. It would have been A grade tv to see Mel matched up with someone worthwhile.
Dino seems like the sort of guy who should just not be on TV. I know guys with his kind of personality, you just hate getting stuck in a conversation with them.
Mel would be alright viewing paired up with someone decent.

unfortunately have to settle for catchup now

Mick has joined the manbun in team s**t shirt

love Mike with the troll face look, just probe and sit back

Sue Ellen Mischke back with a black bra tonight

Heidi being a bit of a control freak, Mike playing it smooth

Cyrell just wants the drama

Heidi clearly has a lot of problems due to her childhood. Has to talk through things for hours. Blows minor conflicts way out of proportion.

Mike is too much of a stud to deal with all that and he doesn't have the tolerance.

Sam is just the lowest of the low, humiliates some crazy fat chick in front of the group. Too cowardly to tell Ines whats up.

My guess is Liz, Sam, Ines and Bronson will all leave. Ines will want to stay with Sam but he will decline and bail.

Imagine what will happen on Sunday night then

Im conflicted re posting tbh.

Post = miss stuff like Mike getting fresh aired by army dude
Not post = miss out on post count, likes, yet see Mike getting fresh aired.

Oh yeah and have 500 pages of reading to catch up on.

Im conflicted re posting tbh.

Post = miss stuff like Mike getting fresh aired by army dude
Not post = miss out on post count, likes, yet see Mike getting fresh aired.

Oh yeah and have 500 pages of reading to catch up on.
Post count and likes are really that important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back