Training 2019 Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A well deserved slap. Hewett enjoyed it I think.

George barely blinked! Thought he stood out. Mills also pretty good, as were Haylist and Paps .

A good hit out in a scrappy affair.

Of the older brigade, I thought Sir Dane looked ace and Cunningham assured.

I thought COR and Maibaum looked the part and Bell was ok. The Pelican did not impress but no doubt he needed the run.

The kids recruited in the past two years all showed a bit

Cunningham was a clear BOG for us today, if he can produce form like that in the season then he's already improved on his 2018 season where he improved a lot. Liked what we saw of Florent, Mills, Hayward, Papley, Blakey, Rowbottom and O'Riordan. McInerney did some nice things but I'm gonna assume he was a relative of the commentator.

Not sure I liked what I saw of Stoddart or Clarke considering I assumed both would be pushing for senior spots. Rose is just... diabolical.

Cunningham was a clear BOG for us today, if he can produce form like that in the season then he's already improved on his 2018 season where he improved a lot. Liked what we saw of Florent, Mills, Hayward, Papley, Blakey, Rowbottom and O'Riordan. McInerney did some nice things but I'm gonna assume he was a relative of the commentator.

Not sure I liked what I saw of Stoddart or Clarke considering I assumed both would be pushing for senior spots. Rose is just... diabolical.

Amazing how differently people see games. I thought Clarke and McInerney were both really good.

Amazing how differently people see games. I thought Clarke and McInerney were both really good.

I liked McInerney but I thought the commentator and some on here got a little carried away. He couldn't get into the game in the first half (understandable for an undersized wingman). Obviously he had two really good bursts of pace, but I take them with a grain of salt in matches like these. He had a paddock of time and space on both occasions that wouldn't be afforded to him in higher intensity matches. So I'm more reserving judgment because I think it's too hard to assess a wingman's performance in a lower intensity game like that. Whereas the commentator was just going HAM on the love for him but I don't think he made one mention of Cunningham who was our clear stand-out?

As for Clarke I dunno he just looked scattered and lacked composure I felt, which concerned me because if you can't be composed in a scratch match...

True. Though I doubt anyone would differ from the view that the re-signing of James Rose is one of life's great mysteries.

Personally I thought Clarke did some nice things but not enough. On that hit out I'd have Cunningham well ahead.

MacInerney I thought deserved plaudits.

I liked McInerney but I thought the commentator and some on here got a little carried away. He couldn't get into the game in the first half (understandable for an undersized wingman). Obviously he had two really good bursts of pace, but I take them with a grain of salt in matches like these. He had a paddock of time and space on both occasions that wouldn't be afforded to him in higher intensity matches. So I'm more reserving judgment because I think it's too hard to assess a wingman's performance in a lower intensity game like that. Whereas the commentator was just going HAM on the love for him but I don't think he made one mention of Cunningham who was our clear stand-out?

As for Clarke I dunno he just looked scattered and lacked composure I felt, which concerned me because if you can't be composed in a scratch match...

Conversely it was McInerney's first ever game against AFL opposition, so he will learn how to create even more space for himself when he is exposed to harder opposition.

As for Clarke, completely disagree as to me he generally seemed to make the right decisions when he had the ball, usually in tight situations, and his skills were not too bad. He seemed to have a reasonably attacking mindset to which was nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hayburner to Blakey and a snag.

Blakey has the most disproportionately long arms I think I have ever seen.

If his legs were as long as his arms we'd have another Buddy in the team.
Very exciting display from him and a number of youngsters.

I'd be very surprised if KJ can force his way back into this team looking at the performances today.
I'm just going for speed with my round 1 team this week with greatest respect to Smith, McV, and KJ

O'Roirdan....Reg...Rampe
McInerney....Melican....Lloyd
Cunningham...JPK...Florent
Blakey...Buddy...Mills
Papley...Reid...Heeney
F: Sinkers, Hewett, Parker
I: Clarke, AA, Hayward, Jones
E: Ronke, Mcveigh, Cameron, Rowbottom/KJ

Maybe Ronke needs to be in for the blistering pace when the ball hits the deck inside 50...bloody hard to find a spot though...maybe Clarke's.

Last edited:
No apparent injuries that I saw on the vision.

Can anyone at the ground confirm?
Did Rowbottom come back after copping those knees into him while on the ground? In anycase short of needing a new kidney it's not a long term injury if he didn't.

Conversely it was McInerney's first ever game against AFL opposition, so he will learn how to create even more space for himself when he is exposed to harder opposition.

As for Clarke, completely disagree as to me he generally seemed to make the right decisions when he had the ball, usually in tight situations, and his skills were not too bad. He seemed to have a reasonably attacking mindset to which was nice.

That is strange how we perceived Clarke's game in totally different ways.

I think we've got a keeper in McInerney but I'm not expecting much of him in the immediate future, if only because his fitness, size and role he plays just won't really allow for it. I get Stoddart circa 2018 vibes from him. Stoddart did what McInerney did today on a weekly basis in the NEAFL, convinced the coaches enough to earn senior selection, where he struggled and couldn't get his natural game going because he just wasn't there with his development to adapt his natural game at the highest level. Then he went back to the NEAFL and continued to have the same highlights he had before his senior stint.

To be honest I'd be happy to let McInerney develop in the reserves for as long as necessary, let him learn his craft, build his fitness and come into the senior team where he can actually contribute consistently. I think playing him in round one like some are calling for on here would only to be to his own detriment and the team as a whole. The whole point of our depth-building off-season is so that we wouldn't have to be relying on kids who tease us with highlight reels. We haven't always had that luxury in recent years but looking at our list now I think we do have that luxury.

If his legs were as long as his arms we'd have another Buddy in the team.
Very exciting display from him and a number of youngsters.

I'd be very surprised if KJ can force his way back into this team looking at the performances today.
I'm just going for speed with my round 1 team this week with greatest respect to Smith, McV, and KJ

O'Roirdan....Reg...Rampe
McInerney....Melican....Lloyd
Cunningham...JPK...Florent
Blakey...Buddy...Mills
Papley...Reid...Heeney
F: Sinkers, Hewett, Parker
I: Clarke, AA, Hayward, Jones
E: Ronke, Mcveigh, Cameron, Rowbottom/KJ

Maybe Ronke needs to be in for the blistering pace when the ball hits the deck inside 50...bloody hard to find a spot though...maybe Clarke's.

You’ve ousted our 20+ goalkicker from last year in favour of McInerney and Clarke after one scratch match? RUNVS see my point?

We need a nickname for McInerney
The Urn.

middleton_royal_red_7509_10.jpg

I mean see how these pre-season teases seem to cloud people’s judgment. Everything looks better than it is in the summer months.

getting smashed in the mids did not look good to me

Still, on the bright side we had a bit more run and there was sfa chippetty chip.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back