Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The results don’t mean a lot, except to reinforce that the healthier you are the longer you live, however still cool to see another outcome measure/tester to objectify “health”.
Cliffs: if you can do 40 push ups consecutively you’re 96% less likely to suffer a cardiac event (eg heart attack) over a 10 year period. Also found that push ups were a better predictor than VO2 max.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2724778

The results don’t mean a lot, except to reinforce that the healthier you are the longer you live, however still cool to see another outcome measure/tester to objectify “health”.
Cliffs: if you can do 40 push ups consecutively you’re 96% less likely to suffer a cardiac event (eg heart attack) over a 10 year period. Also found that push ups were a better predictor than VO2 max.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2724778
They should have put those firefighters through the Steve Reeves challenge.

100 squats @1/2 body weight

Interesting study. It doesn't sound like much but if you haven't been active for a while 40 push ups is serious business, especially if you're middle aged.

I have a question about hydration,I did a Hot Yoga class on Thursday morning and again this morning and had 2 different experiences, thought the question would be relevant to all forms of exercise and hydration.

Thursday- Struggled virtually the whole way through, felt slightly dizzy and nauseous, also had a mild headache and wobbly legs afterwards.

Saturday- Sailed through and felt great and now have that terrific after exercise high that I usually get.

The only thing I did different on Thursday morning was I drank a shitload more water before class ie. 1 extra litre in the hour before class so I drank 2.5 litres instead of 1.5, I also drank 750ml during class as usual.

Is the extra water likely to have caused this or is it merely a coincidence and I was just having a bad/down day?

Totally new in this section and a bit unsure of myself; but I'm finally going to get off my ever expanding butt and actually join a gym this week. It's been years (possibly as much as a decade) since I last darkened the steps of gym, so it's going to be an experience. I'm 44, more overweight than I should be, and really need to start looking after myself health and fitness wise if I want to still be around to see my daughter grow up.

I have a question about hydration,I did a Hot Yoga class on Thursday morning and again this morning and had 2 different experiences, thought the question would be relevant to all forms of exercise and hydration.

Thursday- Struggled virtually the whole way through, felt slightly dizzy and nauseous, also had a mild headache and wobbly legs afterwards.

Saturday- Sailed through and felt great and now have that terrific after exercise high that I usually get.

The only thing I did different on Thursday morning was I drank a shitload more water before class ie. 1 extra litre in the hour before class so I drank 2.5 litres instead of 1.5, I also drank 750ml during class as usual.

Is the extra water likely to have caused this or is it merely a coincidence and I was just having a bad/down day?
I try to get my fluids and food in 2 hours before a workout.

I'll have my pre workout with half a glass of water. I take in a bottle of water but just sip from it if it's a warm day. My sweet spot is 3pm, and I occasionally sneak out early.

Thursday is leg day so I'm always dizzy and nauseous. I try not to drink water during a leg session because it is a struggle from start to finish, and on one occasion I threw up in my mouth and it come out through my nostrils.

Last edited:
Thursday is leg day so I'm always dizzy and nauseous. I try not to drink water during a leg session because it is a struggle from start to finish, and on one occasion I threw up in my mouth and it come out through my nostrils.

I must not be working hard enough. I drink about 3L on the legs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone wondering about the mechanisms of massage, needling, foam rolling, stretching, chiropractic etc etc etc this video about sums it up in Meakins’ typical sarcastic tone

I must not be working hard enough. I drink about 3L on the legs.
Damn! I get through 1l most workouts, have gotten a little spewy on leg days from it (hitting up two per week at the moment - Mondays and Thursdays)

Damn! I get through 1l most workouts, have gotten a little spewy on leg days from it (hitting up two per week at the moment - Mondays and Thursdays)

When I am back into it, and my groins are not ****ed...i like to do the legs every day.

Even if its not much, just some squats to get me through.

Off to the gym for my first workout today. Hope this overweight, pathetically unfit (cardiovascular wise) carcass with a dodgy knee can handle the exertion.

Just ease into it- that's all I have to offer.

Good luck :)
And enjoy!

For sure. I don't want to go too hard too soon and end up burning out.

Or an injury.

I gtg tonight as well- have been seriously putting it off for the last couple weeks due to tiredness. (have been managing to get to the pool tho sometimes)- but i have no excuse, my gym is air con'd so even in this heat its fine.

Totally. 39 degrees in Adelaide I think today, but my Uni gym was lovely and cool when I was shown around yesterday. Getting there on the bus will be a bugger, but if I ever want to improve my health and fitness, I have to start some time, and today is as good a day as any.

Or an injury.

I gtg tonight as well- have been seriously putting it off for the last couple weeks due to tiredness. (have been managing to get to the pool tho sometimes)- but i have no excuse, my gym is air con'd so even in this heat its fine.
My gym has a treadmill with a little aircon thing that blows air.

I like it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back