Multiplat Anthem

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
The issue with this is (if true) is people would have moved along to different games before this even becomes "good". Gamer's have a very short attention span and move onto the next thing very quickly

FWIW there is a game day patch for stability and then early march the first Act starts which is a lot more end game content, weekly missions, cataclysms, weapons etc. People forget we are in the early access of a looter shooter/RPG.... not many games get it right straight away. Diablo 1 and 2 the only exceptions i can think of quickly

I am having way more fun playing this with mates then I ever did with Destiny

This is 100% right.

Diablo 3 was absolute garbage at launch. It was basically a write off. All it had was do the campaign 4 times. It took about 18 months from memory to implement rifts and bounties. By the most people had moved on and only the hardcore Diablo players remained/returned. Today it's one of my favourite games of the last 10 years. Possibly even of all time.

Division reminds me the most of Anthem at launch. A story that you work through with solid gameplay and mechanics but it had nothing to do once you reached the end except for the same story missions on Challenging. By the time it was improved nobody cared enough to come back. Similar to Diablo 3, this ended up becoming my favourite online looter/shooter of recent times.

Destiny is another that improved over time but still only ever appealed to the original fans of it. I don't really recall it converting too many later on as the lack of matchmaking for end game content turned a lot of people away. Destiny probably has the strongest communities out of them all though IMO and Anthem is a game that will be aimed at that crowd. Therefore Anthem needs to do something better than Destiny but right now I don't see it. Those still hooked into Destiny 2 are there with their friends and clanmates and Bungie are coming from years of experience with each update. I'm under no illusions with Anthem and I'm not going to talk it up. However I've seen way more potential with my time with it than I thought I would after the beta and for that alone I want to get myself to max level and as high gear score as I can across all of my javelins so I can jump in with each new update as they are still relevant.

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Day 1 patch notes have come out. https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/19/18231704/anthem-patch-notes-day-one

High level fixes
  • Improved loading times
  • Fixed many infinite loading screens
  • Fixed multiple challenges not tracking properly
  • A number of issues have been fixed that were causing players to disconnect or crash
  • Weapons and gear now have numbers present for modifiers
General Fixes and Improvements
  • Loot Reveal and Expedition Summary now correctly play during the end of expedition screen.
  • The gather party mechanic has been made more lenient in a number of situations
  • At the end of expedition screen players will no longer get stuck on “Recording Victories” or “Skipping All”.
  • Game no longer hangs in Javelin menu when unlocking the second, third or fourth javelin
  • During the mission “What Freelancers Do” dying after killing Junkmaw & freeing Arcanists leaves you unable to progress, this has been fixed
  • Challenges now unlock for players at the correct levels
  • Fixed some camera issues during cutscenes
  • Legendary Contracts can now be accepted from the Social Hub contract board
  • Some enemies have had their shield values decreased
  • Loot now properly drops for players who are downed
  • The texture quality on the NPC Prospero has been improved
  • Final boss of strongholds now drop loot instead of only being shown on the end of expedition screen
  • Fixed the time outs on echoes and relics to prevent griefing and to handle disconnections properly
  • Players can no longer fall through the floor during the 3rd trial in the Fortress of Dawn
  • Completing the tutorial expedition will now show the correct Ranger appearance
  • After disconnecting, rejoining an expedition will now place you back into a squad if you were in one previously
  • Corrected an issue where players could not interact with each other in the launch bay in certain circumstances
  • Corrected an issue during the Mission “Bad Deal” where outlaws won’t spawn, blocking progress
  • The start of expedition screen has been improved
  • Addressed a variety of situations where killing enemies does not properly progress world events
  • Opening a chest now increments Tomb of the Legionnaire progress for all squad members present
  • Scar snipers can no longer shoot through Storm Shield
  • Corrected an issue where players would get stuck on the end of expedition screen in some situations
  • Players will no longer get disconnected if joining the “Finding Old Friends” mission while the cinematic is playing
  • Addressed a number of situations where players can get stuck on the environment in the launch bay
  • Increased the damage of the electric status effect
  • Corrected an issue where the Shield of Dawn could be crafted with less materials then intended in some situations
  • The Platinum Mission feat now grants completion as intended
  • Status effects can more reliably be applied to Titans
Strongholds
  • Fixed an issue that would cause a Stronghold server crash after defeating the last boss
  • Temple of Scar - Players can no longer get stuck in the mined tunnel in the explosives room
  • Temple of Scar - Players can no longer be blocked from entering the explosives room due to fog wall
  • Fixed Tyrant Mine so people that join the stronghold in-progress do not end up locked away from their team
  • Adjusted lighting in Tyrant Mine underwater section to make it easier to navigate to the exit
  • The Swarm Tyrant will no longer get stuck in the side cave entrances in some situations
  • Corrected an issue where players would spawn into different areas of the Tyrant Mine in certain situations
Gear and Weapons
  • After having 1st pilot unlock suit after tutorials, creating a new pilot and going to forge no longer causes load screen hang
  • Ice damage bonuses are now correctly applied on ice gear
  • Suit-wide bonuses from inscription are now functioning properly
  • Players can no longer salvage equipped items
  • Javelin specific gear and/or weapons are no longer able to be used on javelins they aren’t intended for
  • Corrected an issue where in some circumstances Masterwork Components do not have any inscriptions
  • The Endless Siege Masterwork Autocannon no longer displays a damage increase of 0% in its tooltip
Javelins
  • The Colossus javelin is now able to activate its shield more quickly after using an ability or firing a weapon
  • The Storm javelin now reacts to getting hit when its shields are up
  • Fixed an exploit that allowed the Storm’s ultimate attack to be used more times than intended
  • The Colossus javelin can now shield and revive at the same time
  • Interceptor Combo Aura has been increased in power and now has a damage over time component
Crafting
  • Non-Masterwork materials purchased from the crafting store now show as their proper rarity instead of incorrectly showing as Masterwork
Controls
  • Additional Mouse and Keyboard control improvements have been made
UI
  • Some conversations were not popping up the reputation points post conversation completion, this has been fixed
  • The squad screen now displays the correct information for each player
  • Fixed a number of issues where subtitles will no longer get stuck on the screen after dialogue has finished as often
  • Settings should no longer reset upon exiting and restarting the game on Xbox One
  • Motion blur can now correctly be turned off
  • The Electric Status Effect now shows scaled damage properly
  • An option has been added to hide the Squad Member HUD
  • The edge of the compass will now pulse to indicate enemy locations
  • A notification has been added in Fort Tarsis if a player’s vault is at the cap of 250 items
  • On the “Repair the Strider” step of “A Cry for Help” the search radar has been adjusted to correctly lead the player to all 4 tools
  • Primer and Detonator icons have been added to all Interceptor gear
  • Corrected a user interface issue where a player’s ultimate would show as available when it isn’t

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I

I just hit level 30 and have a few master works..... and now im getting bored

Not a great sign

That’s what I want to get to and stop in preparation for the next chapter in March. Biggest thing will be how interested I stay once Division 2 is out. I also want to put more time into Metro and Sekiro is also nearly out.

Currently half way into 27 with a gear score of about 350. I’m just up to quickmatching strongholds and repeating contracts and it’s fairly repetitive stuff. Have you done the legendary progress thingy yet? 100 public events, 25 strongholds etc. it’s pretty grindy, would love to know what it awards.

Feb 6, 2007
Melb, Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
That’s what I want to get to and stop in preparation for the next chapter in March. Biggest thing will be how interested I stay once Division 2 is out. I also want to put more time into Metro and Sekiro is also nearly out.

Currently half way into 27 with a gear score of about 350. I’m just up to quickmatching strongholds and repeating contracts and it’s fairly repetitive stuff. Have you done the legendary progress thingy yet? 100 public events, 25 strongholds etc. it’s pretty grindy, would love to know what it awards.

No where near completing that, that will take countless of hours which will be just repeating the same 3 strongholds again and again. I imagine at the end you will get legendary gear? Or it will at least open up Legendary bounty's/missions

Ill keep playing at least until Div 2 then will make a decision if i cancel my subscription. Does Div 2 have a early access?

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
No where near completing that, that will take countless of hours which will be just repeating the same 3 strongholds again and again. I imagine at the end you will get legendary gear? Or it will at least open up Legendary bounty's/missions

Ill keep playing at least until Div 2 then will make a decision if i cancel my subscription. Does Div 2 have a early access?

I need to double check but I think I read with the two premium editions of Division 2 it had 3 day early access. I might be wrong. I will check on uplay when I get home tonight anyway as I’m deciding on whether to cancel my PS4 preorder or not. I don’t really play it much but it’s where I’ve got in laws and stuff and we were going to play Division 2 together. However they’ve all gone flakey and won’t even tell me when they’re playing pro clubs on fifa anymore /familyrant.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Just another post patch bitch:

- Audio cut out issue still exists.

- Missions/strongholds are still occasionally bugged where they won’t progress. Was doing Heart of Rage stronghold last night and the Monitor didn’t spawn just before the final fight and had to quit.

- Strongholds removed from quickmatch. Apparently it was getting bad with people quitting after the second chest. I thought this was why boss drops were added. The worst part is now you can’t just do a random stronghold for the 25 stronghold legendary requirement and you have to queue for a particular one. This means everyone will just be doing Tyrant Mine.

Me yesterday: "tonight I might play Metro until 2am then jump on Anthem."
Boss: "hey, can you do some overtime tomorrow morning"
:huh:
me today: "can't wait to finish at lunch time and get home and smash out some Anthem."
dad: "hey, will you be home after lunch?"
:'(

Cool story bro.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
There's a distinct lack of comments here. I take it the reviews/word of mouth kept everyone away?

This has been the case almost everywhere. For everything wrong with it I’m strangely hooked though. I’m loving the gameplay and the never ending hunt for the perfectly rolled item or something to make a great new build keeps me going “just one more”. I’ve managed to get masterworks in all slots bar support and one component, but the March content drop can’t come soon enough as I’m not sure how much longer even I’ll be able to just keep running legendary contracts and Tyrant Mine in GM1.

Sep 17, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
This has been the case almost everywhere. For everything wrong with it I’m strangely hooked though. I’m loving the gameplay and the never ending hunt for the perfectly rolled item or something to make a great new build keeps me going “just one more”. I’ve managed to get masterworks in all slots bar support and one component, but the March content drop can’t come soon enough as I’m not sure how much longer even I’ll be able to just keep running legendary contracts and Tyrant Mine in GM1.

Given the surprise drop of Apex and the fact that I have RE2 still sitting there I've held off of this, especially given the reviews. But I'm more waiting for people to hit the endgame and see if that redeems the game a bit because the strength of the campaign can mean little when it is the endgame that usually matters in this genre.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Given the surprise drop of Apex and the fact that I have RE2 still sitting there I've held off of this, especially given the reviews. But I'm more waiting for people to hit the endgame and see if that redeems the game a bit because the strength of the campaign can mean little when it is the endgame that usually matters in this genre.

There is no real end game at the moment. That’s where I’m at. Currently it’s just grinding for drops but it’s not nearly as exciting as other looters in its class like Diablo or The Division.

How it sits at the moment: doing a legendary contract (can only do 3 a day) on Grandmaster 1 difficulty grants masterwork components, strongholds on GM1 for masterwork blast/focus items, and any content at level 30 gives a chance of masterwork weapons with legendary gear coming from pretty much GM3 (which nobody is doing because it’s not efficient). That’s the entirety of end game at the moment.

The campaign became a chore for me in the end. The gameplay I cannot fault, I love flying around like iron man, the movement of my character, the world, shooting, coordinating primers and detonators with squad mates to take down tough enemies. Now I’m enjoying trying to make OP builds with the cool perks I’m getting on masterwork gear. However the first half of the campaign is very generic and I had little care for. You can tell what was cut and stitched back together when the series was rebooted a few years ago as the second half of the story some of the missions were seriously epic, new and important characters were introduced and it finally felt like it was going somewhere. It was also a little confusing because it felt like I was meant to care about or know more about some of the characters by then. However after about 15 or so hours I was drained from it and then it took me another 5 or so to grind to level cap after I had finished the story.

Anthem is review bombing hard and imo it’s not really fair or a real reflection. The game is solid for its style, but it’s the content letting it down at the moment. Though a major content update drops in March which should bring a lot of stuff that is to be expected in a game of this type. In the words of Press Start’s review, it’s a humble beginning.

It a horrible time to drop a game like this and EA should have known better when they have also allowed Respawn to release Apex, there are a heap of quality single player games recently released/releasing shortly and Division 2 only weeks away. Anthem could have done with another 3-6 month delay to get the March content drop included at launch as well as polish the game up in areas. Bioware don’t have the most respect at the moment and EA have kind of thrown them under a bus with this one. There are some solid foundations of a really good online shooter looter. The Division took nearly 18 months to fix itself up an by then it was largely too late, though many returned and all was forgiven. Anthem won’t receive that grace because it’s EA/BioWare and gamers are rabid.

Last edited:

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
There's a distinct lack of comments here. I take it the reviews/word of mouth kept everyone away?

Well that's certainly the case for me. I was looking forward to this game because the footage that had been coming out for the past 6 months or so looked amazing. But since it came out, it's been nothing but negative reviews. The aussie reviewer Skill Up on youtube obliterated this game with a very critical review and made buying it seem like the the most stupid decision ever. All the reviews I've watched (and people on this board) have talked about how awful and boring Fort Tarsis is, and that's what really solidified my decision not to spend money on it.

Feb 6, 2007
Melb, Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Ok so im currently at the end game...was fun while it lasted but the end game is utter trash atm. I don't mind farming for drops however it is just so boring at the moment. Don't get my started on all the bugs, I can easily live with broken aspects of the game as no game is perfect but after nearly 2 weeks of playing with them, I am at my wits end.

I honestly cant remember a game with this many bugs on release...ever. The only thing really going for it is the combat, fighting and flying while comboing is extremely fun.

I was sticking up for the game earlier in this thread but i honestly cant see myself logging in again

bulletride

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Anthem is review bombing hard and imo it’s not really fair or a real reflection. The game is solid for its style, but it’s the content letting it down at the moment. Though a major content update drops in March which should bring a lot of stuff that is to be expected in a game of this type. In the words of Press Start’s review, it’s a humble beginning.

Curious as to why you think the scores aren't fair? End game content and variety of loot is everything in this type of game. Reviews and opinions were similarly scathing of vanilla Destiny's end game and that was back in 2014 with considerably more content than you have here. BioWare had 5 years worth of failures and missteps by the likes of Bungie & Massive to learn from and to go ahead and make the same mistakes, they deserve every bit of criticism coming their way.

I'm sure there could potentially be a good game here in 6-12 months time but thankfully consumers seem to be wising up to the fact that buying GaaS titles at launch is completely pointless if some of the early sales figures are accurate.

Back