BBL vs Shield Cricket

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
No one prefers Shield cricket, but obviously it is critical to the success of our Test side.

Crowds for Sheffield Shield will never improve. That does not mean that the format is not important.

I prefer Sheffield Shield, and there are many who do. Comparing crowds is an exercise in futility. Sheffield Shield is played during working hours, and people who would watch are prevented from doing so because of business and also the fact they play cricket themselves on weekends. The bottom line is promotion. Is Sheffield Shield promoted, played live on TV, and shoved down our throats live BBL?

As for crowds, let's think about the quality of crowds. You look around BBL crowds and it's full of kids on school holidays, looking at their mobile phones, and flossing away like idiots. These kids couldn't give a s**t what was going on. It could be a monster truck rally for all they care, just so long as there is raucous music, fireworks, etc. Not too hard for dad to keep the kids amused, just whack bucket on their heads and away we go. Can you imagine poor old dad trying to keep kids amused when all that is going on is a serious game of cricket? Most of these kids wouldn't even know Sheffield Shield exists, they never hear about it.

This current era in sports is one Australia will live to regret.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
TV and attendance aren't important when it's convenient for you and you hate children. Convinced me Sheffield Shield has a bright, relevant future.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
TV and attendance aren't important when it's convenient for you and you hate children. Convinced me Sheffield Shield has a bright, relevant future.
Your idea of a relevant future is different to Adelaide Hawk and thats okay. However your argument for the big bash seems to be that it is more popular and therefore you like it more.

Back