Game Day Intraclub Match thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not as bad as Lewis though.

You seem to think we would be better off with him in the team other than Ruff.

I will let you in on a secret, Lewis is a fair way off from AFL standard.

I am not saying the kid has no talent, its just he is nowhere near ready.

I put him on par with Conner Nash's set shot kicking for goal, needs a hell of a lot of work.

Don't get me wrong because we can all see Ruffs decline before our very eyes, but Lewis is not the answer.

I will let in on a secret, Ruff hasn't played a great game since the 2014 GF.

Based on form over the last two seasons Ruff was not deserving of a contract for 2019. This might have something to do with why he was offered only the one year and has been told he will not be a walk-up start.

The opportunity is there for a young KPF to step up and yes I think Lewis should be backed in, regardless, of whether he is ready.

Last edited:

I will let in on a secret, Ruff hasn't played a decent game of football since the 2014 GF.

Based on form over the last two seasons Ruff was not deserving of a contract for 2019. This might have something to do with why he was offered only the one year and has been told he will not be a walk-up start.

The opportunity is there for a young KPF to step up and yes I think Lewis should be backed in, regardless, of whether he is ready.
That’s a bit harsh! Rough averaged 19 disposals and kicked 50 goals in 2015, which are elite numbers for a forward with stints in the midfield. We just gotta be used to the fact that he can’t be the focal point or the get out kick option anymore as he doesn’t take marks cleanly or be cat like with ground ball gets anymore. He is more suited to play higher up the ground as a Link Up player who may be good for 1-2 goals a game. Our forwards need to get on their bike and not just rely on gunston and Breust plus more goal kicking mids which will help release the pressure off rough.

I'll let you in on a secret, he had 28 touches and kicked 7 goals against the Dogs in 2015.

He also had two BOG performances in 2017, one against the doggies once more in the final round with 5 goals and fantastic all around game.

I will admit he was far below his best in 2018 - but to say he doesn't deserve a contract for 2019 is horse crap.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

How are you letting us in on a secret here is what I’d like to know. You do realise that this man had numerous rounds of immunotherapy that saved his life right? However the very stuff that saved his life and got rid of his cancer was reported to have damaged all of the nerve endings in his feet which explains why one of his biggest assets ‘his cat like athleticism’ isn’t what it used to be. It’s sad to see Roughie’s game where it is now but at the end of the day WGAF about all that so long as the great man gets to see his kids grow up and be around for another 40+ years. As Hawthorn fans we are not blind and can see with our own eyes that he’s not the player he used to be but I’ll back him to play his role and put the cue in the rack when he knows the time is right. Our KPP stocks are pretty bare so as long as he can hover around the league average in his spot then I’ll be happy.

Many report that Roughead passed off a bunch of kicks when he could have taken the shot himself. Great. In regular games he'd take the shot. In practice matches, he is getting others into the game. Not much point in him kicking the goal in his 14th(?) pre-season, when he can involve others in a team play.

Pretty sure Sydney haven't won a practice match since 1436 and somehow they've done alright over the last decade or so.

Just my two cents.
I didn’t see the game so I will just be frothie beer half full this time on Ruff and wait until season proper before getting to worried about how he’s going,

We were trying some stuff up forward. Rough was hanging back more to stretch the ground rather than being incapable of running thirty metres. We were also leaving the area twenty metres out from goal empty. Blues stacked into it This is the tactic that Clarko used to destroy Ross Lyons' aspirations.

The FF spot was filled by Rough and Nash. Rough leads early and direct, Nash doesn't read it as well but can use his speed if he sees a hole opening up. It's a nice change up. Be nice if Nash learns to mark but contested marking is over rated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember seeing Dermie in the standing area at VFL park back in the day. He was out injured for that game and I would’ve been about 5 years old and to me he was pretty much god and as he caught me staring at him he gave me a wink in true Dermie fashion. The great man just seemed like he had this glowing aura around him. As Hawthorn fans we really have been spoilt with how many legendary players we’ve been blessed with. I love this club so much it’s borderline become a sickness 😂

Saw him at the tennis centre about 8 ago in the crowd. Let’s just say the guy has an acute wareness about how many people are looking at him. Even many years after.
Not that I don’t like him

I am totally with you on McEvoy to FF. It will preserve his playing years and with the new 6-6-6 rules in place it must definitely be trialled. Hawks have always been renowned for not throwing their kids in the deep end too soon and until our hand is forced I think Lewis should be brought in when he’s more ready. Throw them in the deep end too early and they drown = loss of confidence that may never be regained. I mean look at teams like Carlton who’ve had many high end picks they’ve done this to.
Spot on Bugs. I knew someone would see the longevity side of this move.
It certainly doesn’t need to be the ultimate answer at FF but it absolutely fills the need without throwing Lewis in the deep end, the kid will play some games this year, & it move away from the depth guys in TOB & Schoey who just don’t get it done.

I would plonk him deep initially, simplify his game, have him present up and veer back, allow him to run and jump at the footy and play to his strengths. He is noticbly bigger and he has great hands, let him play deep in the jlt and see what he can produce.
This is exactly what I would have him consolidate on at Box Hill in the short term.
If the kid strings together a start to the season like he did last year it’s a no brainer to drop him at FF in the seniors for a prolonged stint & see where it leads.
I’d be sceptical to stat the season with him just because I like the idea of McEvoy among a fast insanely good ground level set up with Roughy getting mid/bench low forward minutes.

Spot on Bugs. I knew someone would see the longevity side of this move.
It certainly doesn’t need to be the ultimate answer at FF but it absolutely fills the need without throwing Lewis in the deep end, the kid will play some games this year, & it move away from the depth guys in TOB & Schoey who just don’t get it done.

Will happen by necessity. Clarko wants to play 2 rucks with the new rules, and Rough is a forward pocket now. We simply don't have a key forward on the list who can deliver right now.

Will be 2 rucks, Gunston, Rough and the mediums/ smalls.

Nash another option, but plays small.

If Lewis were to progress like Sam weiddeman ( who was pick 9 not pick 90) he’ll continue to have days out in the vfl but not really become a senior option till late 2019
Pretty sure Weidman helped destroy us in his debut season and kicking 2 goals in the last quarter

They'd rather gave them play the praccy match than AFLX

Not going to have them run around two days in a row and I know which game is more useful to their preparation so makes sense
Interestingly, one of the Melbourne papers (from memory, the Herald-Sun) reported yesterday that Breust and Smith had been given the green light by the club to play AFLX because the club felt that the players were less likely to be injured playing the AFLX than playing a practice match. The paper reported that Breust and Smith made their own decision to not play in the AFLX.
Dixie Flatline the decision for Smith and Breust to play the practice match had something to do with the AFLPA and them being required to have a four day break before a certain date.
If they played AFLX this could not happen.
This. Although not sure how that works with Silk unless he gets Tues off as well or another day in lieu.

The Hawks claimed that this was the only time they could give the players the mandated 4 days off but it wouldn't surprise if they chose this weekend to piss the AFL off.

Thanks to all posters who were at the game and shared their thoughts. I've been experiencing constant internet drop outs hence my late and short post. At the first bounced I think we lined up with our strongest 18. The back six were Stratton, Brand, Sicily, Impey, Hardwick and Frawley, in the centre square were McEvoy, Shiels, Worpel and O'Meara, on the wings were Henderson and Morrison and the forward six were Breust, Roughead, Puopolo, Nash, Ceglar and Smith. McEvoy, O'Meara and Stratton played in the first half, Mirra, Lewis and Michington played in the second half and Reeves played in the last quarter.
Goals were Moore, Nash, Bruest and Puopolo all 2 with singles to Worpel, Henderson, Sicily and Smith.
The quarter by quarter scores were:
Hawthorn 5.0.30; 7.3.45; 11.4.70; 12.5.77
Carlstank 1.1.7; 4.2.26; 4.2.26; 8.5.53
In the last quarter our wings started at the defensive end of the square and ran to the back of the square when the ball was bounced. We dropped intensity in the last quarter however I think the defensive setup contributed to the 4 to 1 goal. More to follow if internet holds up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back