Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently losing Lachie Neale has improved those odds.
Nachie Neale won't be improving any teams efficiency. One of the few Freo players to be overrated outside of the club. We made out like bandits in that deal IMO.

I think there's a perfectly good alternative across town, boys.
At least my club will be within reach of a win against yours.
Ahem
3. A single sentence post just to insult, call someone deluded, a snowflake, Nazi or anything else of that nature will be deleted. Repeat offenders will receive appropriate consequences - most often a thread ban. Contribute to the discussion or don’t post.

The feeling when a comrade betrays you when all he had to do was search my post history about Fremantle :'(
Apologies comrade, I see you have some correct opinions on the Purps.
Fremantle is far less a charity case than Carlton.
Jokes aside, I really like Fremantle's jumpers. Easily my favourite after our own 'yellow peril' (what's the proper name for it now?) jumper.

That counts if I'm insulting my own team? I mean they don't even have accounts on bigfooty...
As if Marc Murphy doesn't have an account to name search on here...

Apologies comrade, I see you have some correct opinions on the Purps.
And that's not including my faint praise of Fyfe:
Fyfe reminding us why he's the best player in the game.
Fyfe's peak was much higher but his year overall was weaker due to the unfortunate injury.

That he still won the Brownlow is a testament to just how unbelievable he was up until that point.

Danger a bit below Fyfe and Martin.
Fyfe is so far ahead of any other midfielder in the game. Absolute freak. Why doesn't he seem to get the protection from umpires that Ablett, Selwood and Danger get?
Luck plays a pretty large role. With a fit and healthy Fyfe and Morabito in 2015 they might've won the flag.
Back on topic though, Peterson epitomises the Carlton Football Club. His outdated, anachronistic beliefs sit well with Carlton's approach to the modern game.

And that's not including my faint praise of Fyfe:

Back on topic though, Peterson epitomises the Carlton Football Club. His outdated, anachronistic beliefs sit well with Carlton's approach to the modern game.
That would be true if we were still under the Malthouse Reign of Terror, or as I refer to it, the recession we had to have. He, like Peterson is to the left, is the best thing that could happen for our club. Made us sit up and realise we weren't going to get anywhere going down the same path we had been trying.

That would be true if we were still under the Malthouse Reign of Terror, or as I refer to it, the recession we had to have. He, like Peterson is to the left, is the best thing that could happen for our club. Made us sit up and realise we weren't going to get anywhere going down the same path we had been trying.
I do wonder about that. He managed to make 3 clubs very successful (Footscray in a relative sense) and failed with one club. Is it the coach or the club?

Surely we can at least agree that Bolton would be Dave Rubin in this game of equivalence?

I do wonder about that. He managed to make 3 clubs very successful (Footscray in a relative sense) and failed with one club. Is it the coach or the club?

Surely we can at least agree that Bolton would be Dave Rubin in this game of equivalence?
On a serious note, it was the club management that ruined it and Malthouse's appointment was a symptom rather than the disease.

Also, I'd like Bolton more to Steven Pinker - a teacher at heart, he's just trying to get the best out of people and it's commendable. But there's question marks over whether he has what it takes to be a leader, rather than just a developer.

On a serious note, it was the club management that ruined it and Malthouse's appointment was a symptom rather than the disease.

Also, I'd like Bolton more to Steven Pinker - a teacher at heart, he's just trying to get the best out of people and it's commendable. But there's question marks over whether he has what it takes to be a leader, rather than just a developer.
A pretty good comparison although more that they're both fraudulently rosy about the world around them. It's mildly amusing that we can see something similar about them from different perspectives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely it's a function of the way the AFL operates with salary caps and the draft.
It is to a point. Someone like Alex Ferguson was lauded as a manager, but the reality is Manchester United was the biggest club and every decent player wanted to play for a club that would increase their prestige. Ferguson ran out of steam 10 years before he retired, but no one noticed because they kept winning.

In footy it happens much faster because the salary cap and draft quickly exposes your weaknesses. At some point a coach’s distance from how the game is experienced by players is so large that he can no longer communicate his ideas effectively. Malthouse last played in 1983: it was highly unlikely he’d be able to get the message across to a team who had all been born after that.

It is to a point. Someone like Alex Ferguson was lauded as a manager, but the reality is Manchester United was the biggest club and every decent player wanted to play for a club that would increase their prestige. Ferguson ran out of steam 10 years before he retired, but no one noticed because they kept winning.
I'll take this at face value because I don't follow soccer at all.

In footy it happens much faster because the salary cap and draft quickly exposes your weaknesses. At some point a coach’s distance from how the game is experienced by players is so large that he can no longer communicate his ideas effectively. Malthouse last played in 1983: it was highly unlikely he’d be able to get the message across to a team who had all been born after that.
I suppose the numbers of players per team can make it harder on one hand for coaches, and easier on the other. If you have a team full of duds, it will take far longer to replenish your list than say NBA. However, if your team is solid, the loss of a single player should impact less.

On the message of coaches, why would say someone like Phil Jackson remain so relevant for so long in NBA? Or would that be more equivalent to someone like Sheedy?

Agree with everything in this post apart from a small thing with Ferguson in that tactically he was cooked and being left behind in big European games, his teams were trading on past glories generally but he had one final trick/idea up his sleeve to win his final title with what now looked like an exceptionally poor squad and that was to squeeze an extra 10% out of the squad using set pieces - corners mostly - that weren't a big focus of coaching at the time. Not sure if there's anything applicable to AFL in that, it's just something the soccer analytics people use as an example of as finding "an edge."

Agree with everything in this post apart from a small thing with Ferguson in that tactically he was cooked and being left behind in big European games, his teams were trading on past glories generally but he had one final trick/idea up his sleeve to win his final title with what now looked like an exceptionally poor squad and that was to squeeze an extra 10% out of the squad using set pieces - corners mostly - that weren't a big focus of coaching at the time. Not sure if there's anything applicable to AFL in that, it's just something the soccer analytics people use as an example of as finding "an edge."

Did you set up camp in this thread because you aren't getting enough attention in your life?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back