News Richmond star Alex Rance wants best-of-three finals series after Tigers’ 2018 preliminary final loss

Remove this Banner Ad

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
Richmond star Alex Rance wants best-of-three finals series after Tigers’ 2018 preliminary final loss

Richmond defender Alex Rance has admitted last year’s preliminary final loss to Collingwood still haunts him and has suggested the AFL finals system should be tweaked to ensure the best team of the year wins the ultimate prize.
The Tigers finished two games clear atop of the ladder last year and won their qualifying final against Hawthorn with ease by 31 points.
However, the 2017 premiers went on to produce a horror preliminary final display against the Magpies, losing by 39 points to end their back-to-back dreams.

Rance said he spoke to Collingwood counterpart Scott Pendlebury this week about the idea of best-of-three finals series to ensure one bad game did not define a season.
In America, NBA finals are played as best-of-seven series.
“It’s an interesting one and it weighs on my mind a little bit at times as well but also recognising that it’s just one game,” Rance said of the preliminary final loss to the Magpies.
f2e77971eb6fb6c850e0cc23248046fa

Richmond’s preliminary final loss still haunts Alex Rance.​
“We had a winning season, all told, so (you try) focusing on the positives out of that season and not really putting too much of a burden just on one game because it can happen to the best of us. I was talking to Pendles about it actually, the thought of shortening the season and making a best-of-three so you can actually really identify who the best teams are. Because on a day if a couple of the best players don’t rock up or the team isn’t quite jelling you can get knocked off.”

While the Tigers are yet to officially announce their leadership group for 2019, Rance said he did not anticipate any changes from last year’s set up which had Trent Cotchin as captain and Jack Riewoldt and Rance as vice-captains.
Rance said he hoped to feature in both of Richmond’s JLT Community Series matches, the first against Melbourne in Shepparton next Sunday.
Link: https://outline.com/HEF9g7

In my opinion it is a bit of a Tex Walker Flog talk.......

Sorry Rance but this doesn’t sound good coming from a Richmond player. If you want to win the Premiership after dominating the season you need to make sure you don’t have an off day in the finals even if your team has been dominating all year.

What we do need to sort out though is the total absence of home ground advantage in the finals for a team that finished first.

Sorry Rance but this doesn’t sound good coming from a Richmond player. If you want to win the Premiership after dominating the season you need to make sure you don’t have an off day in the finals even if your team has been dominating all year.

What we do need to sort out though is the total absence of home ground advantage in the finals for a team that finished first.
Couldn't agree more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we won that game against the pies …. this wouldn't have seen the light of day … slow news day … moving on.

I didn’t hear the interveiw or how it came up but I don’t really get it, what he’s on about.
I do think the fixture has too much influence on the ladder results at the end of the H/A
Collingwood only had one win against the top 8 teams of the competition but finish third
No offence to Brisbane, theyre improving but Hawthorn lose twice to them and theyre a top four side?
Doesn’t seem right to me.

I think the dbl chance and home ground advantage is a good enough reward I’d only get rid of the bye if anything.
I hope this doesn’t become a big deal and the media and oppo supporters start bagging him.
I don’t like the way players and media personalities throw around ideas about what their veiws are about changes to the game as if it’s constantly being re-modeled or they are the experts or it’s theirs to do what they want with.
It’s not. This stuff sh.ts me.
It’s very simple, the rules are the same for everybody and if your not good enough to play within the rules.
Don’t play.

Must pre-empt this by saying he has been one of our all time greats and players should be able to say whats on their mind.

But wow, we really dont want to be the first club to complain about the pressures of a preliminary final for the team that has been the best all year.

Glad to hear we are haunted by that loss though because I am also. Maybe ask bomber Thompson how Geelong avenged that GF loss against Hawthorn over so many years.

Listen to the interview on the website.

He purely said it was a passing thought - not that he wants it introduced.

Media sensationalism.

Spot on Roksman

This article is absolute mountain out of a molehill stuff completely designed to ignite the scorn / wrath of other team supporters. Come on Tiger fans - you should be able to see the big picture by now and how the media work. A question asked, a musing answer mentioning a conversation with an opposition player and suddenly that becomes the headline inferring its a definite want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back