Kayo

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
I've been running with it for about 2 - 3 months. Use it with chromecast at home mostly. One of the better features it has is it will highlight in the elapsed time specific events- for example I mainly watch cricket on there and it will have a W or 6 and if you click it takes you back to that moment for you to watch then you push the live button to go back live. So much better than Foxtel Now. And for the people that don't want foxtel and just want sport its perfect as it will only cost you $25 p/m.

I have had some small issues with casting due to having older chromecasts but nothing major.
Internet stream is the go yet half arsed. Chrome is pretty s**t.
I wouldn’t recommend chrome in the first place.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I have a satellite. Apparently it was an offer for a "long time" customer (have been a customer for only a few years)
That's unusual .....normally offers are only given to new customers & old customers get zippo

40porpoise

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I got a call from Foxtel (they called me!) offering Sports + HD for $39 per month. Of course I took it. I also have a 4K capable TV and box plus from what I've seen the broadcast quality is still better than Kayo even at 1080p so it was a no brainier to accept

I got called as well with a similar offer, but for me it was a no brainer not to pay an extra $14 a month for 4K when hardly any sports are filmed in 4K yet. My stream with kayo has been perfect 99% of the time

I got called as well with a similar offer, but for me it was a no brainer not to pay an extra $14 a month for 4K when hardly any sports are filmed in 4K yet. My stream with kayo has been perfect 99% of the time

Yeah I have zero faith in Foxtel to provide a consistent, reliable stream for their most popular product.

I've tried streaming before and having the stream die right at the end of the game is extremely frustrating.

I've also tested Kayo throughout the cricket season and roughly once a day I experienced a technical issue like an error, buffering or stream death. Certainly much better than other streaming options but below the service I get from Foxtel currently. And that's just the cricket, hate to think what it's like during the AFL season. It's not my internet either, which is extremely reliable and fast.

I'd happily pay the extra money to get a service I know works and I'll reevealuate it during the season, especially at the end of close matches

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Yeah I have zero faith in Foxtel to provide a consistent, reliable stream for their most popular product.

I've tried streaming before and having the stream die right at the end of the game is extremely frustrating.

I've also tested Kayo throughout the cricket season and roughly once a day I experienced a technical issue like an error, buffering or stream death. Certainly much better than other streaming options but below the service I get from Foxtel currently. And that's just the cricket, hate to think what it's like during the AFL season. It's not my internet either, which is extremely reliable and fast.

I'd happily pay the extra money to get a service I know works and I'll reevealuate it during the season, especially at the end of close matches
That's surprising Scorpus, because I've had no trouble streaming, even to a gen1chromecast. The main advantage I see with kayo over Foxtel is portability. I can watch kayo anywhere and stream to any TV in my house.

You're right though, live footy will be the test. Previous years I've screen mirrored the AFL app and it's been average, because screen mirroring is a work around for not being able to cast the AFL feed. If kayo provides the same stream stability with the benefit of being able to Chromecast, then I'm happy. So far, I've had no trouble with other live sport like NBA or motorsport.

That's surprising Scorpus, because I've had no trouble streaming, even to a gen1chromecast. The main advantage I see with kayo over Foxtel is portability. I can watch kayo anywhere and stream to any TV in my house.

You're right though, live footy will be the test. Previous years I've screen mirrored the AFL app and it's been average, because screen mirroring is a work around for not being able to cast the AFL feed. If kayo provides the same stream stability with the benefit of being able to Chromecast, then I'm happy. So far, I've had no trouble with other live sport like NBA or motorsport.

Yeah it doesn't happen very often but certainly even a few seconds of buffering every few hours is frustrating. I've had it streaming for 6+ hours at some times and it's pretty typical for the issue to crop up during that duration. Within 3 hours it might not happen but I'm not willing to take the risk.

That said I'd say my testing is well outside normal use cases which is why I suspect a lot of people have loved it. Although it is much better than previous streaming services which were absolute garbage

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I got a call from Foxtel (they called me!) offering Sports + HD for $39 per month. Of course I took it. I also have a 4K capable TV and box plus from what I've seen the broadcast quality is still better than Kayo even at 1080p so it was a no brainier to accept
That's pretty good they rang you. Never happened to us and we have had Foxtel, in my name, since 2003 when I first moved out of home.

Yeah the cable/satellite broadcast is better. Kayo is pretty good from what I saw. I feel it is a good product for those that don't want the other Foxtel packages (we do) or a traditional TV experience.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Foxtel is also portable, you get 5 logins for devices. I can also put it on any tv via my laptop, haven’t tried a phone or iPad yet.
I tried the 14 day Kayo trial and found it was a data pig. Not great if you use it away from home a lot.
Still find the iq box and home far better than any other system of doing things especially recording and being able to record from my phone if I’m out and forget to set the box.
I also use an hdmi over cat cable splitter to get a second room, works perfectly.

I hope no one pays the advertised price of foxtel. Ring up and ask to get out through to disconnections. You will always get a better deal there.
There’s a great thread on the whirlpool forum called “foxtel bargaining”

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
I've had quite a few issues with buffering with Kayo and then having to go back to the main screen and then into the game again during live sport. Which is very annoying. Some games during the AFLW have been fine with only a couple of 'freeze' moments and others have been terrible, I had to resort back to Foxtel.

The other issue is the 'key moments' for where Kayo puts them. Instead of just before the start of a quarter you get it just after the ball up has happened etc. I've also disliked that for some of the AFLW games they take the channel 7 stream instead of the foxtel one. This means ads after every bloody goal for the footy. That's why I watch footy through foxtel, to remove all those, even when it's a C7 game.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Foxtel is also portable, you get 5 logins for devices. I can also put it on any tv via my laptop, haven’t tried a phone or iPad yet.
I tried the 14 day Kayo trial and found it was a data pig. Not great if you use it away from home a lot.
Still find the iq box and home far better than any other system of doing things especially recording and being able to record from my phone if I’m out and forget to set the box.
I also use an hdmi over cat cable splitter to get a second room, works perfectly.

I hope no one pays the advertised price of foxtel. Ring up and ask to get out through to disconnections. You will always get a better deal there.
There’s a great thread on the whirlpool forum called “foxtel bargaining”
How do you Fox Footy to stream to your TV via your laptop? My parents have Foxtel and have given me their access so the kids can watch Fox Kids shows on the iPad. They don't have a multiroom subscription, so I can't airplay it to the TV, but if I can watch it on the laptop and hook the laptop up to the TV via a HDMI cable that will be a good way to watch the Saturday day games that aren't shown on FTA.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Internet stream is the go yet half arsed. Chrome is pretty s**t.
I wouldn’t recommend chrome in the first place.
I’ve got a smart tv Panasonic about 3 years old. I did a search for Kayo in the apps search and no good. Also searched the Firefox browser and it was also a dead end.
How are others getting it on a tv without casting from the phone?

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
How do you Fox Footy to stream to your TV via your laptop? My parents have Foxtel and have given me their access so the kids can watch Fox Kids shows on the iPad. They don't have a multiroom subscription, so I can't airplay it to the TV, but if I can watch it on the laptop and hook the laptop up to the TV via a HDMI cable that will be a good way to watch the Saturday day games that aren't shown on FTA.
Just plug the computer in via hdmi cable and (now it’s via browser) use their login and it should work.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just plug the computer in via hdmi cable and (now it’s via browser) use their login and it should work.
Ok, just tried and got Fox Footy to stream live on my computer at work. I might try it at home tonight with the laptop plugged into the TV to see if that works too, but it looks like I'm sorted. Cheers Froggy.

The only annoying thing is that the laptop is the 6th device, so I need to deregister another device in order to add the laptop on. However it looks like there is no limit to the amount of times you can deregister and reregister, so it is a minor annoyance. There is a limit of only 2 devices streaming concurrently, but I think that will be a rare issue.

Does Fox Footy via Google Chrome browser allow you to pause live TV, or start from the start of the game if you miss something?

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Ok, just tried and got Fox Footy to stream live on my computer at work. I might try it at home tonight with the laptop plugged into the TV to see if that works too, but it looks like I'm sorted. Cheers Froggy.

The only annoying thing is that the laptop is the 6th device, so I need to deregister another device in order to add the laptop on. However it looks like there is no limit to the amount of times you can deregister and reregister, so it is a minor annoyance. There is a limit of only 2 devices streaming concurrently, but I think that will be a rare issue.

Does Fox Footy via Google Chrome browser allow you to pause live TV, or start from the start of the game if you miss something?
I think they might have a limit of 2 activations/ deactivations per month or at least they used to.
I’ve had mixed results with pausing. Sometimes it seems to work sometimes it seems to just back to live play.

I also found their app was far more stable than the browser is.
I get the spinning wheel of death so often now even though the sound and picture still run fine in the background.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Is no one else having an issue with Foxtel that when you have it running through a laptop and plug it into a TV the screen just goes black?

Have a mac, and when I watch foxtel on the browser and plug in through a Thunderbolt>HDMI cord, the screen just goes black? Unplug the cord and it goes back to normal on my laptop screen. Why is this still happening as what I would assume to be a security feature?

If I use the foxtel app, im pretty sure this doesnt happen. BUT, I'm also pretty sure foxtel said they were dropping support for the app soon in favour of the browser log in? Secondly, the video quality of the computer app is crap and grainy, definitely not 1080p HD, whereas the new browser media player streams in proper HD.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Is no one else having an issue with Foxtel that when you have it running through a laptop and plug it into a TV the screen just goes black?

Have a mac, and when I watch foxtel on the browser and plug in through a Thunderbolt>HDMI cord, the screen just goes black? Unplug the cord and it goes back to normal on my laptop screen. Why is this still happening as what I would assume to be a security feature?

If I use the foxtel app, im pretty sure this doesnt happen. BUT, I'm also pretty sure foxtel said they were dropping support for the app soon in favour of the browser log in? Secondly, the video quality of the computer app is crap and grainy, definitely not 1080p HD, whereas the new browser media player streams in proper HD.
I reckon the thunderbolt port may be the problem. I successfully use my Mac laptop and hdmi cord to the tv.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
I reckon the thunderbolt port may be the problem. I successfully use my Mac laptop and hdmi cord to the tv.

Might have to give this a shot. From memory if I tried to screen mirror to the apple TV, this same thing happened.

You're running Fox through the browser yeah?

97-98

All Australian
Oct 11, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide

What's the quality like? Is it similar to kayo?

I used to go from laptop to tv via hdmi and while watchable, quality was only about 480p.This was with the old siverlight and foxtel pc app.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
What's the quality like? Is it similar to kayo?

I used to go from laptop to pc via hdmi and while watchable, quality was only about 480p.This was with the old siverlight and foxtel pc app.
Haven’t watched Kayo on anything Kayo than my iPad.
From memory and I haven’t done it for awhile the quality was fine. Not sure exactly what pixel count it would have been.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's pretty good they rang you. Never happened to us and we have had Foxtel, in my name, since 2003 when I first moved out of home.

Yeah the cable/satellite broadcast is better. Kayo is pretty good from what I saw. I feel it is a good product for those that don't want the other Foxtel packages (we do) or a traditional TV experience.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
They called me as I had a free 3 months Drama package that was about to run out, they offered it to me for $10 for 12 months. The thing is my Sport and HD plan was due to run out for $39. I told them I would leave, they gave me the $39 for another 12 months and free drama for another 3 months which should get me through to the end of GOT and then I’ll cancel it.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
OK .... Kayo still won’t download onto my Minix Media Player ... but it did to my Sony 4K Bravia ??

However upon opening it , the only option is to login ? which of course i haven’t registered it yet ???

Does this mean i have to register the username, password and payment details on another device & then i can use the TV Kayo with the same login details ???

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
OK .... Kayo still won’t download onto my Minix Media Player ... but it did to my Sony 4K Bravia ??

However upon opening it , the only option is to login ? which of course i haven’t registered it yet ???

Does this mean i have to register the username, password and payment details on another device & then i can use the TV Kayo with the same login details ???
Yeah just sign up online and then use those details

Back