NRL The NRL pre-season

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
I bought a subscription to the HS and DT mainly so I could read up on the local footy news happening in around the Vic metro area, but as an upside it also gave me access to some RL coverage too. Well, bugger me I don't think I've read one article which paints the game or players in a positive light. Now I know it's been a bad off season, but * me the local alleged friendly RL press seem to have no interest in looking for anything positive at all.

Such a pity the story about John Asiata's act of bravery was buried near the bottom of the NRL section of the DT.

I'm seriously at the point where I'm about to cancel the subscription because the local footy coverage just doesn't justify the amount being paid.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
52082296_10156446049958074_712626316691636224_n.jpg

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Link

A,bloody,men.

NRL boss Todd Greenberg declared the off-season a “complete train wreck”, but here’s proof that clubs and their players are working overtime to get it back on track.

During another damaging and tumultuous off-field period in the game, The Daily Telegraph has uncovered seven feel-good stories which show that, as serious as the much-publicised behavioural issues are, there are far more players dedicated to making a positive difference in the community.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Belinda Sleeman to make rugby league history as first female referee

For the first time in rugby league history a female will referee an NRL game this weekend.

The highly regarded Queenslander Belinda Sleeman has been appointed to control the Broncos match against local Brisbane team Wynnum Manly on Saturday night.

Rest assured this is no token appointment for the 31-year-old former Courier Mail newspaper sub editor who has been a rising young star in the refereeing ranks for several years.

Asked about refereeing at NRL level last year, Sleeman said: “If it happens, I want it to be because of what I’ve done as an official, not because I’m a female.”

Link

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Brisbane Broncos’ Payne Haas has been suspended for the first four rounds of the NRL premiership and fined $20,000 for failing to cooperate fully with the NRL integrity unit. The 19-year-old has been stood down by the club over his response to two off-field incidents involving family members.

Broncos CEO Paul White stressed Haas had not committed any alleged acts of violence but the club needed to send a message that players must do their bit to uphold the image of the code.

“Payne’s level of cooperation with the investigation by the NRL integrity unit fell short of expectations and the standards set by our club,” White said. “We see this is as a mistake made by a young man and we are confident Payne will learn his lesson.

“We hope this sends a strong message the the values and conduct of everyone at the Brisbane Broncos is of the utmost importance to the club.”

Haas played for Brisbane last weekend in a trial game at Warwick but has been pulled from the side despite being named to play in Saturday’s trial against Queensland Cup side Wynnum Manly.

White said the NRL’s troubled off-season had no bearing on the heavy nature of the penalty. He said Haas had since spoken to the integrity unit and the investigation had been closed.

The CEO said new head coach Anthony Seibold was a key contributor to the punishment handed down and hoped his hard line sent a message to the squad.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...roncos-payne-haas-banned-for-four-nrl-matches

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
The Warriors have opened their account for 2019 and there was a lot to like for coach Stephen Kearney.

The Auckland outfit produced an outstanding defensive display while youngster Hayze Perham showed his speed to score the match-winning try in a 12-6 trial victory over Melbourne in Geelong.

Considered an outside chance for the halves spot left vacant by Shaun Johnson's departure, Perham did not have many of opportunities with the ball when he came on in the second half.

Link

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
As the DT continue their unbridled assault on the game which is their bread and butter, I spare a thought for Quentin Pongia who is fighting a brave battle with cancer.

Link

NRL clubs Canberra and Manly have united in support of former New Zealand rugby league captain Quentin Pongia.

The rugged forward, who played for the Raiders, the Warriors, the Roosters and St George Illawarra between 1993 and 2003, is seriously ill.

Pongia, who played 35 tests for New Zealand between 1992-2000, was appointed as the Sea Eagles' wellbeing manager in 2017, but has been unable to work of late as he battles cancer.

The 48-year-old underwent surgery in November to remove a tumour from his bowel, leading the Raiders and Manly to raise funds for his family.

Last edited:
Went down to Geelong to watch this and Burr was very impressive. Always made forward ground and was hard to tackle. Thought Keighran was the best of the halves.
Storm looked very rusty, although I think Drinkwater is playing round 1.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I well remember watching Quentin Pongia, he was one hell of a competitor, and is well remembered and thought of in Wigan. That is no age! Good luck to him.

Link

Looks like AAMI Park which should make for a great atmosphere.
Will need to visit it sometime this year.
At this stage, looks like the tigers chooks game

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Link

St George Illawarra will be offered $600,000 in salary cap relief if star player Jack de Belin is stood down by the NRL this week while he fights sexual assault charges.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that any club forced to stand down a player facing serious criminal charges in future will receive compensation to ensure the club and their fans are not penalised.

Under the new plan, clubs could sign a replacement player on a short-term agreement. De Belin is on $600,000 at the Saints.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Link

Deserves an extension.

The Warriors have announced a three-year contract extension for coach Stephen Kearney.

Kearney was coming off contract at the end of the season and, after a period where he's lifted the team from an underperforming outfit, where attitudes were poor, to a top eight team, it was a given that he'd be offered a new deal.

The new contract will be for three years and if he sees out the length of this deal, it would put him equal with Ivan Cleary for the longest serving coach in the club's history.

"Securing Stephen for another three years is a huge boost for us as we prepare to begin our 25th season in the competition," said Warriors chief executive Cameron George.

Back