Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thinking is that it's possible one of Dale or Greene doesn't secure a spot long term, and Lloyd will be gone in a couple years. Sexton is a long termer, and proven scorer, although I would still prefer a taller key forward over a medium forward, of course
Sexton is no more of a proven scorer than Dale. Dale averages 0.8 goals per game over his 40 game career and Sexton 0.73 over his 97. Even if you only include his latest 3 years, then that number is barely better at 0.88 goals a game. Some would say 'oh but he plays in a poor GC team' but I would counter that despite how bad Gold Coast is, someone will have to kick goals for them.

I appreciate a different suggestion. He's not a bad player but I'm not convinced that he's best 22 for us even this year. I wouldn't be offering anywhere near $700k. Maybe $350k.

I’d love it but I’d put money on him being a Saint in 2 years time.
I would like him to work hard at the Gold Coast and take full advantage of an AFL opportunity a lot of players
would love. He has a chance to play a lot earlier than most tall players do and grow with what is a very
young group. They should have grabbed a Hodge type like Brisbane did they need people to set the
standards on the field and at training.

We need to do whatever Stephen Silvagni does not do as a recruiter. If we can manage that we will win 2-3 flags in the next 10 years

Isn't his sole modus operandi poaching players from the club he previously was at? His problem then is that he was at s**t clubs. We need to get him inside the coaching outfit of a good club. then get him over to WB and then he poaches the good players from a good club. To us.

QED.

Sexton is no more of a proven scorer than Dale. Dale averages 0.8 goals per game over his 40 game career and Sexton 0.73 over his 97. Even if you only include his latest 3 years, then that number is barely better at 0.88 goals a game. Some would say 'oh but he plays in a poor GC team' but I would counter that despite how bad Gold Coast is, someone will have to kick goals for them.

I appreciate a different suggestion. He's not a bad player but I'm not convinced that he's best 22 for us even this year. I wouldn't be offering anywhere near $700k. Maybe $350k.
His 2018 he averaged 1.3 goals per game which was the same as Billy Gowers. I'm purely basing it off recent exposed form, and would only be interested if he continued/improved.

And yeah the $700k was probably an enormous overestimate. More likely worth $400k-$450k, I just moved it upwards for two reasons - his status as RFA and value to the Suns.

Definitely not my preference for trade targets, but feel like he could bring something positive to our side if Greene and/or Dale don't pan out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

William could barely crack the Brisbane team when they were terrible, why are we interested in him at all? Surely there are better contingencies.

William could barely crack the Brisbane team when they were terrible, why are we interested in him at all? Surely there are better contingencies.
We have better contingencies on our list currently.

Exhibit A - Lynch.

Ben King would be an excellent acquisition KP size with speed that can clunk a mark. Could improve on the goal kicking front.
If he does leave the Suns Saints would definitely be the front runners to pick him up though.

If he develops as expected would be worth some good coin. Would for sure fit in with Bevo's flexibility mantra

Ben King would be an excellent acquisition KP size with speed that can clunk a mark. Could improve on the goal kicking front.
If he does leave the Suns Saints would definitely be the front runners to pick him up though.

If he develops as expected would be worth some good coin. Would for sure fit in with Bevo's flexibility mantra
I think he’s a back more than a forward but really like him.

Agree that he is more of a Defender than forward. Oppo teams would have to defend him closely or he could burn them close to goal.
Help to create space forward if you have a dangerous marking target forward. Kind of a more mobile version of David Hale

feels lucky we didn't pick Shiel up :p

DylanShielAFLX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back