2019 planning

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Blakey anyone? Looks like he’ll play round 1. 252k and by the sounds of it has impressed big time during the pre season so could have good JS

Key forward and a slow burn, cash wise. I'd be looking elsewhere tbh. I think Parker, Cavarra and Setters are the most likely at this stage, with Drew and Petrucelle being other possible options

Am i the only one who feels they should be fascinated by the idea of playing O'Meara but somehow its just not happening?

Prefer Taranto tbh. No injury history and stronger midfield to protect him. If Jaeger gets too good, he'll get the tag. Same won't happen to Taranto

What are you alternate value options?
My approach is to look for value options even in the players I intend to keep. In the mids I've got my shortlist as:

Brad Crouch, Jack Steele, Zach Merrett, Pat Cripps, Seb Ross, and then to a lesser extent (but safer options in my mind): Yeo, Beams, Macrae, J.Kelly

These are all players I expect to improve and keep for the year. Brad crouch is the biggest question mark on the latter aspect.

EDIT: Okay so I actually never really considered Adams seriously, but now I look at this numbers I see the appeal. Priced at 95 but average of 114 in 2017, and a strong finish to the year in 2018. That increase is as good as, if not better than I'm expecting from some of the above.

Do you know why he scored poorly in the first half of last year? His best 3 games were when Treloar was out from R15-23. His finals series was also very impressive. I think I ruled him out initially because I felt there was uncertainty around the impact of Beams' return on his position/output. But keen to hear your insight.

If Mundy is playing back in the midfield which Ross has stated, surely he's a player we need to be looking at averaged just about 90 last year playing in a majority forward/midfield role, now with it being the other way around, surely he could get back up too 100+ and as a forward that's got to be value pick

If Mundy is playing back in the midfield which Ross has stated, surely he's a player we need to be looking at averaged just about 90 last year playing in a majority forward/midfield role, now with it being the other way around, surely he could get back up too 100+ and as a forward that's got to be value pick
Finished last year well, and could get more midfield time as you say. But in his 16th season he's no spring chicken, and not in my consideration for that reason. If he starts well I may draft him in during the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if Drew doesn't get a gig R1 he'll be very unlucky.
30 and 3 in a trial game. Not bad.what did you think of B Crouch? Articles hyping up his performance but I thought he was just okay. Not as bullish on him for fantasy off the back of that

Went to the U/23 Port vs Crows trial game today.

First of all, the 6/6/6 set ups create plenty of space. And the kick ins today were often long up the guts or to the arc/boundary line.

I'll touch on some crows players, though admittedly I wasn't watching as closely.

Matthew Broadbent: Looked lively, mopped up the ball in the back half quite a bit and took a fair few kick ins with that long boot of his. Consider.

Ryan Burton: Did okay once again. Spent some time on the wing, middle and down back. Wouldn't be touching him, even at his price point.

Zac Butters: Did some nice things and was often a link man. Looked pretty rooted towards the end so fitness may need some work. Pass.

Willem Drew: What the hell? Maybe I'm bias but he is a lock. Touched it about 30 times, kicked 3 goals and laid about 10 tackles. Was the #1 mid and was given plenty of opportunity so it may not be an accurate reflection of his AFL output. Anyway, consider strongly.

Connor Rozee: Was good without being outstanding. Didn't find a heap of the ball, but hit the scoreboard a couple times. At his price point, I don't see his fantasy output being high enough. Pass.

Xavier Duursma: Played on the wing and had high time on ground. Finds the footy and provides a marking target/outlet down the wing. Seriously consider.

Brad Crouch: Played plenty in the guts and outside on a wing. Looked fit and healthy. He did do some nice things but expected a little more. AFL.com.au are reporting he starred but off the back of that game, I've actually dropped him for now. Seriously consider but may be better value elsewhere.

Tyson Stengle: The best of the small forwards. Kicked 3 I reckon and looked dangerous. Not going to be a big fantasy scorer but may be worth considering as a bench option.

Shane McAdam: Worked well alongside Stengle as the small forward. Might need to build a bit of a tank and is a little raw but may also be worth a bench spot if he plays round 1.

Riley O' Brien: Dominated the ruck versus Peter Ladhams and Billy Frampton for Port. Didn't do a heap around the ground but was there abouts around the ball. Possible bench spot.

Ned McHenry: Looks a special player. Didn't watch a whole lot of him as he was unfamiliar to me and looked like 4-5 other players out there. Tackled hard and could be a rookie option if played round 1.

Hope that provides some insight into today. Feel free to ask anymore questions but there should be some other opinions on twitter/bigfooty boards too.

Last edited:

First of all, the 6/6/6 set ups create plenty of space. And the kick ins today were often long up the guts or to the arc/boundary line.

I'll touch on some crows players, though admittedly I was watching as closely.

Matthew Broadbent: Looked lively, mopped up the ball in the back half quite a bit and took a fair few kick ins with that long boot of his. Consider.

Ryan Burton: Did okay once again. Spent some time on the wing, middle and down back. Wouldn't be touching him, even at his price point.

Zac Butters: Did some nice things and was often a link man. Looked pretty rooted towards the end so fitness may need some work. Pass.

Willem Drew: What the hell? Maybe I'm bias but he is a lock. Touched it about 30 times, kicked 3 goals and laid about 10 tackles. Was the #1 mid and was given plenty of opportunity so it may not be an accurate reflection of his AFL output. Anyway, consider strongly.

Connor Rozee: Was good without being outstanding. Didn't find a heap of the ball, but hit the scoreboard a couple times. At his price point, I don't see his fantasy output being high enough. Pass.

Xavier Duursma: Played on the wing and had high time on ground. Finds the footy and provides a marking target/outlet down the wing. Seriously consider.

Brad Crouch: Played plenty in the guts and outside on a wing. Looked fit and healthy. He did do some nice things but expected a little more. AFL.com.au are reporting he starred but off the back of that game, I've actually dropped him for now. Seriously consider but may be better value elsewhere.

Tyson Stengle: The best of the small forwards. Kicked 3 I reckon and looked dangerous. Not going to be a big fantasy scorer but may be worth considering as a bench option.

Shane McAdam: Worked well alongside Stengle as the small forward. Might need to build a bit of a tank and is a little raw but may also be worth a bench spot if he plays round 1.

Riley O' Brien: Dominated the ruck versus Peter Ladhams and Billy Frampton for Port. Didn't do a heap around the ground but was there abouts around the ball. Possible bench spot.

Ned McHenry: Looks a special player. Didn't watch a whole lot of him as he was unfamiliar to me and looked like 4-5 other players out there. Tackled hard and could be a rookie option if played round 1.

Hope that provides some insight into today. Feel free to ask anymore questions but there should be some other opinions on twitter/bigfooty boards too.
McHenry looked good but so did Murphy and theres probably room for only 1 of the 2 (3 if include Stengle). Will be interesting to watch over JLT.
Could throw McAdam into that mix but he could also get a place in addition the them. My gut feel is he is behind in his fitness base but will be a downgrade target for us at some point.

Crouch showed enough for me at this point. The fact he played until the final siren is great signs for his/the clubs confidence in his body at the moment. Showed moments of breakaway pace importantly. Agree he didnt dominate the way you may expect but I think thats just easing into it (and the reason for him getting this extra game in) as opposed to it being say an SANFL game 1st up where he is pushing hard to get back in the the sensor ASAP.

Drew looks a good option. Depending on Wines expected return I guess that'd be the main concern is that he starts but is out early on his return.

Whats Duursmas likelohood of games/JS like? would be great to have a couple around his price bob up down back

30 and 3 in a trial game. Not bad.what did you think of B Crouch? Articles hyping up his performance but I thought he was just okay. Not as bullish on him for fantasy off the back of that
From what I saw B Crouch will be fine, he just had to run around and look like a footballer again- tick.

I'll touch on some crows players, though admittedly I wasn't watching as closely.

I see they didn't even bother suiting Milera up... lockity lock for me.

McHenry looked good but so did Murphy and theres probably room for only 1 of the 2 (3 if include Stengle). Will be interesting to watch over JLT.
Could throw McAdam into that mix but he could also get a place in addition the them. My gut feel is he is behind in his fitness base but will be a downgrade target for us at some point.

Crouch showed enough for me at this point. The fact he played until the final siren is great signs for his/the clubs confidence in his body at the moment. Showed moments of breakaway pace importantly. Agree he didnt dominate the way you may expect but I think thats just easing into it (and the reason for him getting this extra game in) as opposed to it being say an SANFL game 1st up where he is pushing hard to get back in the the sensor ASAP.

Drew looks a good option. Depending on Wines expected return I guess that'd be the main concern is that he starts but is out early on his return.

Whats Duursmas likelohood of games/JS like? would be great to have a couple around his price bob up down back
Would just like to see a bit more from Brad besides playing a full game injury free. I hope he shreds JLT and warrants my selection.

If Duursma plays round 1 I wouldn't rule him out to play 18+ games. Boak actually said today that he thinks 'Duurs' will be the best of this year's draft crop (at Port).

William Drew already on my bench, but could make it on the field with those numbers!

Gotta disagree with the Brad Crouch assessment. 28 possies in his first hit out back after all that time out, for 524K, makes him a lock for me. But can understand how people might want a bit more with all the options available

Great write up though, plenty to think about :) Cheers! Duursma is the other one for me, as I would love to see him named Round 1 on the wing, which would be a great def option

Would just like to see a bit more from Brad besides playing a full game injury free. I hope he shreds JLT and warrants my selection.

If Duursma plays round 1 I wouldn't rule him out to play 18+ games. Boak actually said today that he thinks 'Duurs' will be the best of this year's draft crop (at Port).
Brad Crouch is very much team oriented is how i see him - so I wouldn't expect him to go all out in praccy matches... but then come round 1 he'll cut loose...

Another great report.
Duursma now into D6.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back