Names on the back of guernseys - is it time?

Would you like to see names on guernseys?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Get a record or print something off the internet then. There are alternatives. :think

I'd like to keep my eyes on the match though, not have my head down to check someones number

I'd like to keep my eyes on the match though, not have my head down to check someones number

So learn the numbers then. How have you survived watching footy the last however many years? Didn’t know Blicavs or Paddys number? Hawkins? No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So learn the numbers then. How have you survived watching footy the last however many years? Didn’t know Blicavs or Paddys number? Hawkins? No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know my own teams numbers and a good chunk of the oppositions. But if there is a contest down my end of the ground I want to watch the contest and know who's there, not have my head down checking who wears No. #39 for Fremantle

That's fine if you'll be able to see the names.

At a game I don't think you will for at least half maybe even 3/4's of the ground depending on the ground and where you are sitting. So it will make it harder to see the numbers for no benefit.
There are tens, often hundreds of thousands more AFL fans watching games on telly than at the ground.
On tv you'll be able to see them but there's already commentators.
As many have already said, the commentators don't do a real flash job in that respect.

You regonise them by their numbers and looks.
Like I said, simply not possible for time-poor fans. I can just stay on top of my own team's players. No way I have a clue about most of 17 other teams X 44 players.

A lot of the time it would be useless, as you've pointed out, but if I can even just pick up a handful of oppo players' names per game when I see a close-up on telly, I reckon it will enhance things enormously.

There are tens, often hundreds of thousands more AFL fans watching games on telly than at the ground.
As many have already said, the commentators don't do a real flash job in that respect.

Like I said, simply not possible for time-poor fans. I can just stay on top of my own team's players. No way I have a clue about most of 17 other teams X 44 players.

A lot of the time it would be useless, as you've pointed out, but if I can even just pick up a handful of oppo players' names per game when I see a close-up on telly, I reckon it will enhance things enormously.
Why do you care who has the ball if you don’t even know who they are anyway? If it’s a player who I don’t recognise from either appearance or number, I really don’t know anything useful about them anyway.

I know my own teams numbers and a good chunk of the oppositions. But if there is a contest down my end of the ground I want to watch the contest and know who's there, not have my head down checking who wears No. #39 for Fremantle

Maybe ask the person next to you then. Engage in some “social intercourse”.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Just doesn’t make a heap of sense to me. There are way more long camera shots in the AFL than sports like basketball and soccer so you won’t even see the names that much. So how useful are they going to be?

I think doing it would just be a tacky marketing ploy.

Why do you care who has the ball if you don’t even know who they are anyway? If it’s a player who I don’t recognise from either appearance or number, I really don’t know anything useful about them anyway.
I hear a lot of footballers' names. I read about them in the press and on forums like BF. I have no idea what half of them look like, so it would be nice to start putting names to faces.

Or you could simply open your phone and check on a footy app in two seconds.

Not ******* hard.

I'm watching the game not playing around on my phone or looking at sheets of paper.

Is that ******* hard to understand?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know about you, but a lot of us watch the game, not our phones.
Didn’t take long for this stupid argument.

There’s countless amounts of boundary throw ins, ball ups etc. Unless you’re kind of inept moron when it comes to phone you could be in and out of the app in no time.

If you’re watching at home the commentators will tell you who the player is.

Why do you and others who make this argument act like viewing a record or opening a phone app takes 20 minutes during the game?

Please explain to me anyway how names on the back are going to help when you’re sitting far away in the stands or watching on TV with the camera staying fairly zoomed out for most of the game.

I'm watching the game not playing around on my phone or looking at sheets of paper.

Is that ******* hard to understand?
Are you that completely and utterly hopeless?

Open the app pre game. Unlock phone, re-enter app, press on the game and boom.

If you had a record it would take even less time. Jesus Christ. I’d never thought I’d see the day someone would argue needing ten seconds to open the record to the page with the player names would take away so much precious time from watching the game. Do you also sit there in silence the entire game? Refuse to miss any second of the action? Because that’s what you’re arguing with your ridiculous logic.

Are you that completely and utterly hopeless?

Open the app pre game. Unlock phone, re-enter app, press on the game and boom.

If you had a record it would take even less time. Jesus Christ. I’d never thought I’d see the day someone would argue needing ten seconds to open the record to the page with the player names would take away so much precious time from watching the game. Do you also sit there in silence the entire game? Refuse to miss any second of the action? Because that’s what you’re arguing with your ridiculous logic.
Got you rolling.

Didn’t take long for this stupid argument.

There’s countless amounts of boundary throw ins, ball ups etc. Unless you’re kind of inept moron when it comes to phone you could be in and out of the app in no time.

If you’re watching at home the commentators will tell you who the player is.

Why do you and others who make this argument act like viewing a record or opening a phone app takes 20 minutes during the game?

Please explain to me anyway how names on the back are going to help when you’re sitting far away in the stands or watching on TV with the camera staying fairly zoomed out for most of the game.
Thanks for your gracious response. Your virtuosic phone technique is something we all aspire to of course.

It’s about TV.

If you watch a footy telecast analytically you’ll actually realise there are far more close-up cutaways than most people think. Anyone with a decent sized screen will have plenty of opportunities to read players’ names.

As I pointed out only a few posts back, tens, if not hundreds, of thousands more people watch the footy on TV than attend the game, but according to your logic, their enjoyment of the game doesn’t matter much.

Still waiting for an explanation of why this idea is so offensive to the likes of you. As I posted earlier, there may not be a whole heap of upside, but no-one has come close to making a case that there’s any downside.

(Except that virtuosic phone users become appalled at how much have standards have slipped of late. Whole world’s going to the pack, eh what?)

Why do we have to keep dumbing stuff down? Would it not hurt to actually use your brain and learn the name to the numbers or attempt to?
We don’t need to follow other sports. It’s our game and it’s unique. It would be nice to keep some stuff.

I have no preference. When the trial was on, I never used the names to recognise players anyway.Given the pace of the game, I struggles to discern names on guernseys anyway. Instead I just use other cues. I don't even rely on numbers as much as many others seem to.
At the same time I'm not a traditionalist so would be open to adding names if it helps newer fans.

Why do we have to keep dumbing stuff down? Would it not hurt to actually use your brain and learn the name to the numbers or attempt to?
We don’t need to follow other sports. It’s our game and it’s unique. It would be nice to keep some stuff.

Ever consider that names on the back wouldn't be aimed at you anyway? It's aimed at the casual fans who aren't passionate of which there's thousands and thousands of. There's a lot more of them than there is of the diehards as well.

Like it or not you do have to cater to them to keep the interest in the game growing. Sitting on your laurels and saying there's nothing wrong is bad long term as it leaves better marketed sports to go past AFL long term.

Back